Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (95 Viewers)

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
YES! I'm also a fan of Paul Thomas Anderson's works.
Everyone should be.

It's just strange that Hoffman doesn't get that many lead roles. Especially when you consider the fact that he outshines virtually everyone else in the movies where he has a marginal character to play.
Happiness, Flawless, The Talented Mr Ripley, Owning Mahowny, Capote, Synechdoche New York, Doubt, Capote, The Master, Jack Goes Boating, Love Liza, ...

That's quite a lot of lead roles, if you ask me.

What do you think of Magnolia? People keep recommending it to me, might be time to check it out.
3 hours of pure brilliance.

Good to see some reason :tup: I have heard too many terrible actors said to be better then Cruise in last few years, just because they can't stand Cruise the crazed celebrity.
It has become very difficult to separate Cruise the actor from Cruise the celebrity nutjob though. When I watch him these days, it doesn't feel that I'm watching a specific character in a certain story. It's just Tom Cruise playing (an exaggerated version of) himself...

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
thought Travolta was great as Bobby Long, don't know why that movie isn't being mentioned here, the last movie I thought Cruise was great in premiered in 90ties. but overall I agree, Cruise definetly the better actor.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
It has become very difficult to separate Cruise the actor from Cruise the celebrity nutjob though. When I watch him these days, it doesn't feel that I'm watching a specific character in a certain story. It's just Tom Cruise playing (an exaggerated version of) himself...
That's true, I have the same problem with him, as do many others. Does fairly uninteresting safe star roles for the ze bankability so to speak. But it doesn't mean one forgets his standout performances in his career that spans 3 decades. And definitely better then overacting hacks like Travolta.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
That's true, I have the same problem with him, as do many others. Does fairly uninteresting safe star roles for the ze bankability so to speak. But it doesn't mean one forgets his standout performances in his career that spans 3 decades. And definitely better then overacting hacks like Travolta.
Please list his standout performances over the past three decades. I'm intrigued.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Pretty much those Juve Vinny mentioned in earlier post, besides those would add Collateral, Eyes wide shut and tropic thunder :D don't mean Oscar worthy stuff, just competent and fairly good acting when he bothers to challenge himself.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Cruise > Travolta

Both play the same boring characters over and over again though. Of course there are exceptions. For example, Cruise's best performance is in Magnolia.

Jul 10, 2006
Good to see some reason :tup: I have heard too many terrible actors said to be better then Cruise in last few years, just because they can't stand Cruise the crazed celebrity.

P. S Vinny, you forgot Collateral.

Yea, I did... I love that film, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Pulp Fiction was on last night and I watched a bit of it... I think Travolta gets so much praise from this movie for two reasons.

#1. it was his comeback film of sorts. We hadn't heard much from John before Pulp Fiction. And he hasn't gone away since.

#2. He spends most of his time next to Sam Jackson. Watch the film again and you will notice that just about every memorable scene he is in, when he is not dancing, he is next to Sam Jackson, and Sam Jackson has all the energy and passion. John's just riding on his coattails. Vince and Jules make a great partnership, no doubt. But that's mainly because of Sam Jacksons charisma and fine acting skills and because John doesn't try to do too much when Jackson is on screen with him.

Now imagine if they flipped roles and Travolta plays Jules and Jackson plays Vinny Vega. It would have been a disaster. :)

Mar 30, 2006
A friend is trying to win a grant to make one of his films as part of his thesis. They determine who wins based on Youtube likes so check out the video and give him a like! lol Maybe he can work something in about Juve haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 89)