Trans people: your informed opinions and why you hold them (3 Viewers)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
I can empathise with loving someone because I have loved someone, I can't empathise with not associating with my birth gender because I associate with my birth gender. It's a completely alien concept to me, but I couldn't give a shit if someone doesn't associate with their birth gender.

Jul 1, 2010
I think that's pretty much it. I don't know what my completely informed opinion is, as it's not completely informed. I think plenty of people have legitimate feelings of dissociation between their bodies and their minds, and if surgery is a treatment that can work for that, then do it.

Then there's the whole issue of gender being a man-made construct - what part of being a woman is it that you want? How and when do you know that you were supposed to have a penis? For many trans people I know, dressing the part, doing "lady" or "manly" things isn't often part of the equation, yet that's what we hear about in articles. Especially about "transgender" kids (something I am rarely convinced of, as the media shows "He always knew he liked dresses!" which is bullshit, anyone can like dresses, what about his feelings towards his body?)

I don't know. It's a very real thing, and I completely support the people who need to do it, but I can't imagine how they feel or even the thought of going through that kind of surgery.
You hit the nail on the head here. There is a contradiction in the social equality movement as feminists have been claiming for decades that gender is a social construct and that there are no differences between men and women biologically in terms of brain structure and other things.

Now they claim that transgenders have the brain/soul of the opposite gender in their body. Wait a minute, I thought they claimed that gender was a social construct?

This is a huge contradiction.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
You hit the nail on the head here. There is a contradiction in the social equality movement as feminists have been claiming for decades that gender is a social construct and that there are no differences between men and women biologically in terms of brain structure and other things.

Now they claim that transgenders have the brain/soul of the opposite gender in their body. Wait a minute, I thought they claimed that gender was a social construct?

This is a huge contradiction.
Huh? That has nothing, i repeat nothing, to do with transgender. I don't know much about the area, but please do a little reading on the subject.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
You make it sound as if there weren't multiple facets and disagreements among people who identify themselves as either trans, feminist, gay, etc...

There is no such thing as a 100% identical belief or voting bloc.

Jul 1, 2010
You make it sound as if there weren't multiple facets and disagreements among people who identify themselves as either trans, feminist, gay, etc...

There is no such thing as a 100% identical belief or voting bloc.
Oh for sure, but I've heard many feminist saying both that gender is a social construct and that transgenders have the soul/brain of the other sex.

Jul 1, 2010
Agree,
Some feminists are morons. Part of my point.
but I don't think that's only on the feminists.
Fair enough :D

- - - Updated - - -

So, should we fund and encourage reassignment surgery despite the evidence for it actually making them happier very slim?

Apparently, a significant portion of them regret the surgery and attempt suicide.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2004/jul/30/health.mentalhealth

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)