Trans people: your informed opinions and why you hold them (4 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Before you become all grumpy. This guy is a street/performance artist and I'm 100% sure, he never watched an episode of South Park.
But think about the lawsuit. It would be so much fun.

- - - Updated - - -

They should definitely take it to court and let a judge decide. No settlements.

Jul 1, 2010
Do they pay for it? And do all or a small minority?
I'm not sure if they pay for all of them, but I do know that in several countries reassignment surgery falls under health coverage, like in Canada.

So the question is, why would the government/insurance companies pay for reassignment surgery?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'm not sure if they pay for all of them, but I do know that in several countries reassignment surgery falls under health coverage, like in Canada.

So the question is, why would the government/insurance companies pay for reassignment surgery?
Most likely because it is seen as correcting a birth defect and not as a mere cosmetic procedure. And it isn't merely cosmetic, though I'd say it's definitely borderline. At least with what we're able to do today.

Jul 1, 2010
Most likely because it is seen as correcting a birth defect and not as a mere cosmetic procedure. And it isn't merely cosmetic, though I'd say it's definitely borderline. At least with what we're able to do today.
A birth defect?

So let's be clear about this, trans people think they have the soul/brain of the opposite sex. So it's a mental disorder, right?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I have a simple question: why do insurance companies/public health care pay for reassignment surgery?
See below.

Before you become all grumpy. This guy is a street/performance artist and I'm 100% sure, he never watched an episode of South Park.
We have those people too here. Except we just call them homeless.

A birth defect?

So let's be clear about this, trans people think they have the soul/brain of the opposite sex. So it's a mental disorder, right?
I had a pretty indignant initial reaction when I first heard years ago about the SF city government paying for these.

But I do think it goes to the birth defect argument. Maybe it's not the same as being born with a cleft palate, but there is a sort of biological sense of disfigurement combined with the social construct of how everyone looks and interacts with that person. It can be debilitating.

15 years ago I had a coworker Tammy who became Travis. It was pretty weird at first - the bathroom thing and all. But over time I understood more.

So ethically, I'm not against insurance paying for gender reassignment surgeries anymore than I'm against repairing cleft palates. The question remains the cost-benefit in a society of limited resources. Not everybody should get a liver transplant, for example, and we suck at recognizing how this seems dehumanizing but there's a prohibitive cost on everything.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #38
    A birth defect?

If it's a mental disorder that exists from birth then it's a birth defect, right?

Jul 1, 2010
    Yes, but I meant it's a condition existing at birth, since they were born in the wrong body.
    Ok. So the government/insurance companies pay for reassignment surgeries because it's a mental disorder. Yet, LGBT groups keep saying that transgenderism is not a mental disorder. However, there is no way insurant companies would want to pay for it if it weren't a mental disorder, otherwise one could argue that they should also pay for regular plastic surgery.

So LGBT activists want the surgeries to be paid by insurance/government but they don't want gender identity disorder/dysphoria/whatever term they come up with next to be classified as a mental disorder. There's a pretty clear contradiction here.
    Basically, they want to have their cake and eat it.

There's no way we should advocate for surgery to "correct their birth defect", the suicide rates of post-surgery trans people is absolutely brutal. We should advocate therapy for it.

There's something called body integrity identity disorder, which is people who think they're amputees born in an integral body. So according to the logic here, government/insurance companies should pay for their limbs to be chopped off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)