• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I have to disagree. There are only so many players top club can sign, just because of the roster capacity reasons. The abundance of talents in the world of football is way bigger than all of those privileged clubs could find a place for. Everyone would benefit from having rich clubs in their leagues. And, again, when RM or Juventus buy some player for 100m, it's a smaller club that gets these 100m. They could completely change themselves using such money properly and step-by-step get closer to the elite.

As for competition in the leagues, in the last ~30 years, without any ESL, Serie A has been won by just 3 ESL clubs anyway, with only 3 exceptions. So, nothing would really change to the worse from this point of view either.
Yes but small clubs would be left with leftovers. I doubt there are so many talents as I think football is the worst position regarding players.

You could see Napoli, Dortmund and some other club possibly buying Locatelli at this point. But if it's Juve interested and we are in Super League, then other clubs stand zero chance. Even without SL we'd be in pole position, most likely, but we could still lose a player, it could happen, but not while we're in EL. So imo smaller clubs would have more money, yes, but they'd be left to chase players that SL clubs aren't after, and even those players would have inflated price. The last thing we need right now are inflated prices. Even nobodies right now go for like 30-40mln, with the new injection those numbers would double.

Buy on AliExpress.com

michel

Mar 25, 2010
It would 100% solve it for the SL founders.

Other clubs, I personally dont care about. And I dont know why I should tbh. Survival of the fittest.
I don't think it would actually since non-ESL clubs would demand much much higher fees, players/coaches much higher salaries, and agents significantly higher cuts. It just prolongs the cycle, not break it.

If your top line grows it doesn't mean your profitability will as well.

fredrik

Aug 7, 2011
Now that uefa and fifa has taken the role of defender of the little man/girl, it will be interesting to see how they are gonna follow up on that. Will they be more transparent? Corruption? Quatar? Human rights?
the lights are on now, and i guess this is not a position uefa and fifa really want or can handle.

michel

Mar 25, 2010
Interesting take since thats the very essence of SL, those 15 teams are guaranteed an income that covers their costs even in downturns in cases of end of cycle or events like covid.
But do you really believe those SL clubs wouldn't go head-to-head, all in style, against each other when it would come down to the signing and obtaining players? The fees and salaries would be obscene, the whole cycle would just get another momentum, the ESL would definitely not break it.

Also non-SL clubs, agents and players would be running wild with their insane demands. I don't believe that 90% of these clubs actually can, nor want, to run themselves in a sustainable fashion, as another record-breaking transfer is just waiting around the corner to happen.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Now that uefa and fifa has taken the role of defender of the little man/girl, it will be interesting to see how they are gonna follow up on that. Will they be more transparent? Corruption? Quatar? Human rights?
the lights are on now, and i guess this is not a position uefa and fifa really want or can handle.
It's a PR line, you don't need to actually do anything, you just need a social media presence, airhead sky journos, and twitter bots.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Question is did anyone here after following this sport so long and at least with some idea about how it's mafia politics operate think that a dreamed up idea could not only take root so fast but actually be close to fruition?
IMO Super League will happen sooner or later and this was just the first real attempt. SL is inevitable I think.

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002
Hearing Florentino at this moment talking about Super Liga ...

its just sad and amazing to see how unprepared they were about this fight...

I dont know if they were foolish or naive... or both

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Perez revealed that there was one particularly reluctant club from the start.

"There was one part of the English group that didn't have much interest, I won't say who," he stated.

"I think this became contagious with the others.

"These directors are mostly American, maybe from the NFL or NBA.

"They're leaving because of the atmosphere.

"FIFA created a big spectacle. It was as if we had let off an atomic bomb.

"Maybe we didn't explain it well, but they also didn't give us an opportunity to explain it.

"Some people just didn't want that.

"I've never seen such aggression from the president of UEFA and some of the countries' footballing authorities.

"I've been in football for 20 years and I've never seen threats like this.

"It was like we killed someone. It was like we killed football. But, we were trying to work out how to save football."

DS8_Montero

Aug 10, 2018
Yes but small clubs would be left with leftovers. I doubt there are so many talents as I think football is the worst position regarding players.

You could see Napoli, Dortmund and some other club possibly buying Locatelli at this point. But if it's Juve interested and we are in Super League, then other clubs stand zero chance. Even without SL we'd be in pole position, most likely, but we could still lose a player, it could happen, but not while we're in EL. So imo smaller clubs would have more money, yes, but they'd be left to chase players that SL clubs aren't after, and even those players would have inflated price. The last thing we need right now are inflated prices. Even nobodies right now go for like 30-40mln, with the new injection those numbers would double.
Isn't it the way it already is now though? With Juventus also being amongst dumpster divers looking for leftovers, by the way? If Man City or PSG want, say, Neymar, KDB, Haaland, Juventus stand no chance.

We can make jokes about Paratici and stuff, but it's absolutely obvious that when he gambles on players such as Ramsey, Rabiot, etc., that's the only way for Juventus to get players with potential of being at the top level, because now Juventus cannot both pay for the player a hefty sum to another club and then pay a player a big salary, they can pick only one option out of two.

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002

"There was one part of the English group that didn't have much interest, I won't say who," he stated.

"Maybe we didn't explain it well, but they also didn't give us an opportunity to explain it.

"I've never seen such aggression from the president of UEFA and some of the countries' footballing authorities.

"It was like we killed someone. It was like we killed football. But, we were trying to work out how to save football."
This is what I dont get... what exactly did they expect was gonna happen?

You were going against the most corrupt power hungry organization in the world and you expect they were going to be "nice" about it??

You had 3 years planning this and no one though this was probably going to happen??

Amazing... just amazing...

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
But do you really believe those SL clubs wouldn't go head-to-head, all in style, against each other when it would come down to the signing and obtaining players? The fees and salaries would be obscene, the whole cycle would just get another momentum, the ESL would definitely not break it.

Also non-SL clubs, agents and players would be running wild with their insane demands. I don't believe that 90% of these clubs actually can, nor want, to run themselves in a sustainable fashion, as another record-breaking transfer is just waiting around the corner to happen.
No i believe we would see the opposite, owners would adopt a take it or leave it stance, they have all the leverage, they can just cap agent fees at a certain percentage. And once again because they have the peace of mind of assured earnings they can go back to work on long term plans as opposed to relying to hot players for immediate success. It would really take a lot of powers from players.
As for snaller teams, i see it actually as a shift from hiring old pensioners to giving more chances to younger players, it would be like college football vis a vis the NFL.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Isn't it the way it already is now though? With Juventus also being amongst dumpster divers looking for leftovers, by the way? If Man City or PSG want, say, Neymar, KDB, Haaland, Juventus stand no chance.

We can make jokes about Paratici and stuff, but it's absolutely obvious that when he gambles on players such as Ramsey, Rabiot, etc., that's the only way for Juventus to get players with potential of being at the top level, because now Juventus cannot both pay for the player a hefty sum to another club and then pay a player a big salary, they can pick only one option out of two.
We managed to sign Ronaldo and De Ligt, though. As for the others I agree.

But my point is that plenty of clubs would have a shot at signing Locatelli as they could match the price. Possibly even shitty club like Roma would offer 40mln. With SL and Juve in it, I'm pretty sure Locatelli's asking price would be 70 because we're interested, which instantly means lesser clubs are out of race. Imbalance would be way too big.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
IMO Super League will happen sooner or later and this was just the first real attempt. SL is inevitable I think.
:agree: I was about to say this.

I personally wasn't a huge fan of this current proposal, and of some other suggestions made such as shortening games for example. Many others clearly weren't as well. But there was a reason for my post earlier:
No matter how you feel about this, two things that I think all of us can agree on:
1. Fuck England
2. Fuck UEFA/FIFA
I don't believe that this is the end of this story here. While this was a colossal failure, lessons will be learned from it, changes will be made, and another attempt will be made to break the English/oil monopoly on money in the game. They'll get it right eventually, and I'm thinking that "winning formula" will be a continental one, without the inclusion of the English. As it should be, of course.

Had the Germans and French been included from the outset, I think this may have gone differently.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
:agree: I was about to say this.

I personally wasn't a huge fan of this current proposal, and of some other suggestions made such as shortening games for example. Many others clearly weren't as well. But there was a reason for my post earlier:

I don't believe that this is the end of this story here. While this was a colossal failure, lessons will be learned from it, changes will be made, and another attempt will be made to break the English/oil monopoly on money in the game. They'll get it right eventually, and I'm thinking that "winning formula" will be a continental one, without the inclusion of the English. As it should be, of course.

Had the Germans and French been included from the outset, I think this may have gone differently.
An EU league would kill! And make the EU itself stronger too.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Hearing Florentino at this moment talking about Super Liga ...

its just sad and amazing to see how unprepared they were about this fight...

I dont know if they were foolish or naive... or both
Yeah they were, as were we, we dropped the bomb and then apparently the president's we're all gonna speak within 24 hours, but according to Perez, the damage was done.

fredrik

Aug 7, 2011
It's a PR line, you don't need to actually do anything, you just need a social media presence, airhead sky journos, and twitter bots.
Well alot of people suddenly got angry and excited, thinking they saved football from the rich (lol), and giving it back to people. Uefa and fifa empowered ( used) these cluless people, and i think they will come to regret it in the future. You dont have to dig deep to discover the hippocrisy and corruption within uefa and fifa, and that will be done now

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016

Cancel culture

JuveE46

Dec 6, 2015
Yeah, eventually everest might become a canyon but this wasn't the right time to go poking at this issue knowing there is virtually zero possibility...Now AA got a target on his back and so does the club. Good luck finding fair referees now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)