Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (15 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
what do you mean? I already have this movie on BD
There are a couple releases out. The most recent Artificial Eye one is terrible, and the Japanese one pretty bad too. Most of Tarkovsky that has been released outside of Criterion is pretty poor.

I guess I'm saying that it's exciting that it shall finally get a full-blown restoration, or so I hope.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
There are a couple releases out. The most recent Artificial Eye one is terrible, and the Japanese one pretty bad too. Most of Tarkovsky that has been released outside of Criterion is pretty poor.

I guess I'm saying that it's exciting that it shall finally get a full-blown restoration, or so I hope.
You mean visually? Or editing-wise like in Star Wars when they put Hayden Christensen in the end of Episode 6

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
You mean visually? Or editing-wise like in Star Wars when they put Hayden Christensen in the end of Episode 6
Visually. For Stalker, Artificial Eye used the print from the Films Without Frontiers transfer in France. But it seems as though they did no restoration at all. It's scratched and dirty, full of artifacts, and far too soft and dark. Saturation seems really wonky at times too.

It's strange because Artificial Eye released a bunch of Tarkovsky's work on BD this past year, and were super hit or miss. Rublev, Mirror, Solaris, Ivan's Childhood were all pretty good transfers, but Nostalghia and Stalker were appallingly bad, and The Sacrifice was in between and decent.

Apparently Criterion has the rights to the much better MosFilm transfers of Stalker, The Mirror, Solaris, Andrei Rublev, Ivan's Childhood. Sadly, no The Sacrifice or Nostalghia. I love the latter, perhaps my favourite Tarkovsky, and hate that it still has no decent Blu-ray release.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
@DAiDEViL @Fr3sh

The kid is named Chris too, must be you as a kid Dai, in 8th Century Germany. At the 8 minute 20 second mark, "saved by a Danish elf". Must be Soren. :lol2:

Best 80s movie ever, by ze way. CBC specials are the best. :D

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Yep, looks worse then imagined.

Hope its misrepresentation of the movie.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
Looks too much like a generic blockbuster. Still gonna watch, though. I haven't read the books, but I read it is some of his finest work. My roomie read the first book and from what he's telling, a movie is too shallow. Feels a little bit like how fans thought about Watchmen.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I only read less then 100 pages from first book ages ago, but it supposed to very dark horror thriller/fantasy mystery, this indeed felt like a generic blockbuster in trailer, every line from these two fantastic actors felt like something Vin Diesel would deliver.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Stephen King is a hack. :hihi:
He has fantastic ideas, but average writing in most of his work I tried (and I finished my far few of his in my teenage days), it was why I stopped dark tower even at that young age, you have to be in certain mood to digest the less then stellar writing and just focus on the story ideas/mystery alone (which he is quite interesting at), and I'm far from a snob btw, I read tons of genre heavy books (fantasy, historical, detective/thriller/spy etc). But some writers just cant be digested for too long.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
I only read less then 100 pages from first book ages ago, but it supposed to very dark horror thriller/fantasy mystery, this indeed felt like a generic blockbuster in trailer, every line from these two fantastic actors felt like something Vin Diesel would deliver.
He only read the first book too. He said it would take a lot more concentration to understand it fully, so he quit reading the series.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)