Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (39 Viewers)

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Yeah I'm not sure if its worth going into full 8 book series for it (and I read longer series, mainly historical novel series that reached dozen long), most of my friends who read it said Mr King kinda milked dark tower series quite abit.
For real? I read it's his best work and the tv-adaption is gojing to be the milking process.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually. When I think about it, it wasn't my roomie who called it good. I googled and read it, when I watch 'Lost'. That's where I got the fascination. My roomie (as I said earlier) found it complex and weird.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
For real? I read it's his best work and the tv-adaption is gojing to be the milking process.
Its his most popular and full body accomplished work, but few who read it said he made it too long perhaps. I didnt read it much as said, but my fav with him was Dead Zone, IT and Green Mile (tried parts of most of his work because he was so hyped back then, until I kinda got tired fo his writing style). Allways been curious to try the shining and the stand tho.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Its his most popular and full body accomplished work, but few who read it said he made it too long perhaps. I didnt read it much as said, but my fav with him was Dead Zone, IT and Green Mile. Allways been curious to try the shining and the stand tho.
I'm confused, cause I thought his other work was popular and this was the hidden gems. I haven't read anything from him - only seen some of his movie adaptations (one). 'It' is still the horror movie of my childhood.

I'm an uncultural motherfucker - I never read anything.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I'm confused, cause I thought his other work was popular and this was the hidden gems. I haven't read anything from him - only seen some of his movie adaptations (one). 'It' is still the horror movie of my childhood.

I'm an uncultural motherfucker - I never read anything.
When it comes to his fans atleast they rave about dark tower, tho the other work are bigger names, not only because they considered highly, but because they all have MAJOR popular hollywood adaptions, that define the brand of the stories more then his books even.

I mean he even wrote shawshank redemption lol.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
When it comes to his fans atleast they rave about dark tower, tho the other work are bigger names, not only because they considered highly, but because they all have MAJOR popular hollywood adaptions, that define the brand of the stories more then his books even.

I mean he even wrote shawshank redemption lol
I actually forgot about that :lol:
I think my hype is because of Lost. I know you like Lost too.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I didnt like Lost.

I was absolutely insanely obbssessed with it :D Too great of a unique thrilling journey to bother with the flaws for me.

Too bad it was purely mystery driven series, so I cant rewatch it like I can do with my other favourites (like the wire, firefly, Rome, BSG, west wing etc). Is kinda empty in 2nd view due to having the clues and plotline all layed out already.

And yeah part of the obbssession was reading up all the series/movies the series referenced or borrowed from, or the fans theorized it was influenced by lol. Its litterally only tv series I ever listened to podcast/online shows, scoured half dozen forums just to keep up with all that was going on lol.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
I didnt like Lost.

I was absolutely insanely obbssessed with it :D Too great of a unique thrilling journey to bother with the flaws for me.

Too bad it was purely mystery driven series, so I cant rewatch it like I can do with my other favourites (like the wire, firefly, Rome, BSG, west wing etc). Is kinda empty in 2nd view due to having the clues and plotline all layed out already.

And yeah part of the obbssession was reading up all the series/movies the series referenced or borrowed from, or the fans theorized it was influenced by lol. Its litterally only tv series I ever listened to podcast/online shows, scoured half dozen forums just to keep up with all that was going on lol.
In my opinion, It didn't make sense to follow the series because of the mystery (it became too dumb). The biggest force of the show was the characters and I judge it as a character based show.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yeah it was great character show for sure, but the mystery was entertaining throughout for me (I only didnt like the Dharma initiative "time jump" and some oversue of flashbacks/flash forwards, even if fleshed out characters well), didnt care it was fantastical over the top in scope and subject matter, it was consistently super entertaining, with a fairly brilliant cast really.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Yeah it was great character show for sure, but the mystery was entertaining throughout for me (I only didnt like the Dharma initiative "time jump" and some oversue of flashbacks/flash forwards, even if fleshed out characters well), didnt care it was fantastical over the top in scope and subject matter, it was consistently super entertaining, with a fairly brilliant cast really.
It was and that's why most kept watching. But the characters was why I loved it. I still haven't seen a show that could me take through a rollercoaster of feelings like Lost did. The Wire is great, but completely different.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
He has fantastic ideas, but average writing in most of his work I tried (and I finished my far few of his in my teenage days), it was why I stopped dark tower even at that young age, you have to be in certain mood to digest the less then stellar writing and just focus on the story ideas/mystery alone (which he is quite interesting at), and I'm far from a snob btw, I read tons of genre heavy books (fantasy, historical, detective/thriller/spy etc). But some writers just cant be digested for too long.
:agree:

Very creative mind, very mediocre writer. I actually read a fair bit of escapist fiction myself in the form of historical and fantasy. It's often entertaining, and not so bad if you take it for what it is and don't expect something more out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Its his most popular and full body accomplished work, but few who read it said he made it too long perhaps. I didnt read it much as said, but my fav with him was Dead Zone, IT and Green Mile (tried parts of most of his work because he was so hyped back then, until I kinda got tired fo his writing style). Allways been curious to try the shining and the stand tho.
His stuff suits TV and film better because of the interesting ideas - poor writing conundrum. The medium can erase the latter part.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Thats true, you can especially notice it with both IT and and Green Mile, both IMO the athmosphere of the movies are superior. While for Dead Zone its only one I prefered the book (because Chrisopher Walken wasnt believeable for me, tho the tv series decade and half alter for dead zone was more believeable).

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Some are extremely scary (he is too good at creating dark athmosphere with sick fantasy), especially IT, holy fuck did that feel real as heck. FUCK YOU PENNYWISE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 39)