Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (31 Viewers)

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
Bava's Black Sunday was pretty great. I've only seen it, Black Sabbath and Blood and Black Lace by Bava. Enjoyed each of them, though Black Sunday is the best of them imo.

Did you see Peter Strickland's 2012 film Berberian Sound Studio with Toby Jones? Reminds me of those old horror films, with its psychological fare, which is fitting as it's almost a tribute to the Italian Giallo genre. And you'll love the sound design. It's incredible.

Roger Corman's 1960 film House of Usher would be another good one. The 1980 film Altered States with William Hurt. Polanski's 1976 film The Tenant. Bergman's Hour of the Wolf. Hmmm... 1960s film Eyes Without a Face; The Pit and the Pendulum; Carnival of Souls

You've probably seen this one already, but I'll mention it anyways... Session 9

And I suppose I'll mention a couple films my friend Aaron Poole starred in. Both from 2012. The Conspiracy and The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh. Both quite interesting little psychological horrors, although the second has a rather poor ending imo.
Out of those i've seen House of Usher, The Tenant, Eyes Without a Face and... Well, Session 9 does sound familiar. It looks familiar as well, I might have watched it but can't fully remember. Adding it and the others to the list.

Right now I've decided it's time to watch Hard To Be a God. :D

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Weird you post that trailer, I came to post that I saw it. It was hella fun, but just for the first half of the movie. But fell off little bit after half, became whole another movie with different mood and felt disjointed in general, especially when the drug dealing story started, felt off and stupid (and preachy in the end). But in overall vibe of movie was lolsy, but bit of a missed opportunity to not maintain the unique high of the first half.

Also say Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol, Tom still got it :tup: Proper good intricate spy movie, the swedish villains were hardcore lol.

catch22

Aug 23, 2015
Weird you post that trailer, I came to post that I saw it. It was hella fun, but just for the first half of the movie. But fell off little bit after half, became whole another movie with different mood and felt disjointed in general, especially when the drug dealing story started, felt off and stupid (and preachy in the end). But in overall vibe of movie was lolsy, but bit of a missed opportunity to not maintain the unique high of the first half.
Agreed with your thoughts on it. Also, was this the first "black indie" movie there has been? I can't think of anything else like it.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
At first I kind of liked it because it was different, but the tone ended up feeling so forced. Like it was trying to be different for the sake of being different. Great soundtrack, some funny jokes in there, but overall quite a disappointment.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed with your thoughts on it. Also, was this the first "black indie" movie there has been? I can't think of anything else like it.
Of course not. Just look at Do The Right Thing.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
Let us know what you thought of hard to be a god i was thinking about watching it.
Based on what i've seen of some of your taste, you're not gonna enjoy it. I'm not sure I did. It's too "out there", the kind of shit only Russians could pull off.

The first hour of the movie is torture. Some beautiful artistic scenery but I felt like watching pigs in a pigsty doing their business. Nasty doesn't express it enough, there should be a new word to define this. It's like taking the darkest side of humanity and translating it to a painting but using feces instead of paint.

Don't know what to think of it, really. I like weird but this shit goes beyond that.
@Post Ironic

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
The Martian - It was pretty entertaining, but there's hardly anything new in it. Some of the more enjoyable scenes were less so since they showed all of it in the trailer. The better bits were the funny moments, but as a survival thriller, it wasn't all that.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
icemaη;5113352 said:
The Martian - It was pretty entertaining, but there's hardly anything new in it. Some of the more enjoyable scenes were less so since they showed all of it in the trailer. The better bits were the funny moments, but as a survival thriller, it wasn't all that.
wasnt gonna watch, but thanks anyway :tup:

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Based on what i've seen of some of your taste, you're not gonna enjoy it. I'm not sure I did. It's too "out there", the kind of shit only Russians could pull off.

The first hour of the movie is torture. Some beautiful artistic scenery but I felt like watching pigs in a pigsty doing their business. Nasty doesn't express it enough, there should be a new word to define this. It's like taking the darkest side of humanity and translating it to a painting but using feces instead of paint.

Don't know what to think of it, really. I like weird but this shit goes beyond that.
@Post Ironic
It does sound like something i would enjoy il haveto watch it then hopefully i will find something in it that strikes a chord with me. Thanks for the reply.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 30)