Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (93 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I know a lot of people will disagree and i just want to know why. What is the big deal about Gary Oldman? He has never blew me away in any movie. Good actor yes havent anything negative to say but im yet to see greatness in him.
He's very versatile. Just look at Léon and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Those performances couldn't be more different.

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
Saw Tampopo , San Andreas and Me Earl and the dying girl . Tampopo was a really lovable comedy . San andreas was a photocopy of every other disaster movie out there , seriously they all follow the same pattern .

1 A fenomenon is found by some scientist which could send the world to doom and said scientiest continue to give scientifical explanations why they are right .
2 A man is presented who had family issues and the whole story revolves around him trying to save his family
3 Earthquakes make buildings fall , bridges are destroyed and obviously there is a mandatory tsunami .
4 Characters dramatically runs torwards plane/car/boat while the earth shatters behind them (twice in this movie :lol:)
5 The family is saved and their problems are gone

The only good thing it had going for it is the likable cast and it gets a big plus 1 for having alexandra daddario in it :tuttosport: . I read reviews about a swedish (iirc) disaster movie in TIFF . Supposedly everybody saying that it's one of the best disaster movies to come out and one said it blows hollywood disaster movies out of the water . Hopefully it will be one to change the usual predictable pattern .

On the other hand I found Me Earl and the dying girl a great experience , it's not groundbreaking or anything , but it's a very good movie , I would definetly recommend everybody to watch it .

- - - Updated - - -

I watched Tomorrowland last night. Well, I wouldn't say I watched it. More like I started to watch it but then did other things as it made for decent background noise. Which is all it's good for. It was pretty terrible.

Cool idea but horrid execution.
Imho it started good , had mystery in it , but definetly not what I was expecting , the revelation of what it was seemed pretty uninteresting for me and the conclusion sucked imho . Still don't understand what all the fuzz about lindelof is .

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Alexandra Daddario :tuttosport:
I watched San Andreas on the flight back home yesterday and I agree with everything you said. You did miss one more point.
6. Mandatory American flag flying scene at the end of the movie. No Hollywood disaster movie is complete without this.

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
icemaη;5105781 said:
Alexandra Daddario :tuttosport:
I watched San Andreas on the flight back home yesterday and I agree with everything you said. You did miss one more point.
6. Mandatory American flag flying scene at the end of the movie. No Hollywood disaster movie is complete without this.
:lol:

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Just saw it, very powerful, no idea about how accurate it was climbing wise or how true to the original story, but great story with some very good actors, found it very motivating

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Saw my first couple films at Vancouver International Film Festival today. One forgettable, and one that really stood out.

It's raw, unpolished, and leaps a little too far into whimsy and platitude at times... but the film is absolutely gorgeous, and quite fascinating. It transposes a sort of Tarkovsky - Stalker type Zone into Ethiopia and a post-apocalyptic world, and the strange connections to the present day that would found in such a destroyed world... the deifying or apotheosis of late 20th and early 21st century pop culture and how that would appear in a post-apocalyptic future world... I was reminded of the Coke bottle from that strangely wonderful 80s film, The Gods Must be Crazy. The film laughs at the crumbs that would be left over from our current era, and the way a lack of context makes the idolatry our society engages in, quite ridiculous.

It's quite the stark example of afrofuturism made even more interesting by the fact it was a Spaniard directing in Miguel Llanso (one to watch for the future). There's also a very organic aspect to the film, as though it was shot one scene to the next, spontaneously, with more regard for the filmic art than for a cohesive storyline being strictly adhered to. Not like found-footage, no... but in the sense that it creates its own cinematic language, logic, aesthetic...

The lead male, Daniel Tadesse, puts in a brilliant and enigmatic/subtle performance as the wasteland hero Candy.

It's quite a wonderful little post-apocalyptic, sci-fi adventure, romance in the afrofuturist tradition. The soundtrack is fitting, the landscapes are stunning, the cinematography beautiful. Amazing what can be done with a $250,000 budget in the year 2015.

I highly recommend. 7.5/10

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
Saw Jurassic World , definetly didn't deserve to get 1 billion in the box office , but it's greatest sin for me was giving notoriety to trevorrow after which he got chosen as the SW IX director .

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Saw Mediterranea, a movie about African emigrants traveling to Italy. Realistic, documentary-like depiction of the reality the migrants meet in Europe. Avoids getting preachy.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
@Post Ironic tired of the shitty modern Horror flicks I was looking for some old school stuff and came upon Black Sunday, a movie I've watched before and quiite liked. But it was so long ago that I thought it was worth watching it again.

As I finished it, it got me curious about it's director. As it turns out it's Mario Bava, the same guy who made Black Sabbath (Yes, the movie that influenced the band to name themselves that. That fucking old woman is the creepiest thing i've seen :D) and a dozen other horror movies that seem to be just as unique.

Do you know much of his work? Can you recommend me some old horror in the same vein? (The Haunting and The Innocents comes to mind)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
@Post Ironic tired of the $#@!ty modern Horror flicks I was looking for some old school stuff and came upon Black Sunday, a movie I've watched before and quiite liked. But it was so long ago that I thought it was worth watching it again.

As I finished it, it got me curious about it's director. As it turns out it's Mario Bava, the same guy who made Black Sabbath (Yes, the movie that influenced the band to name themselves that. That $#@!ing old woman is the creepiest thing i've seen :D) and a dozen other horror movies that seem to be just as unique.

Do you know much of his work? Can you recommend me some old horror in the same vein? (The Haunting and The Innocents comes to mind)
Bava's Black Sunday was pretty great. I've only seen it, Black Sabbath and Blood and Black Lace by Bava. Enjoyed each of them, though Black Sunday is the best of them imo.

Did you see Peter Strickland's 2012 film Berberian Sound Studio with Toby Jones? Reminds me of those old horror films, with its psychological fare, which is fitting as it's almost a tribute to the Italian Giallo genre. And you'll love the sound design. It's incredible.

Roger Corman's 1960 film House of Usher would be another good one. The 1980 film Altered States with William Hurt. Polanski's 1976 film The Tenant. Bergman's Hour of the Wolf. Hmmm... 1960s film Eyes Without a Face; The Pit and the Pendulum; Carnival of Souls

You've probably seen this one already, but I'll mention it anyways... Session 9

And I suppose I'll mention a couple films my friend Aaron Poole starred in. Both from 2012. The Conspiracy and The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh. Both quite interesting little psychological horrors, although the second has a rather poor ending imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 91)