Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (127 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
10 Cloverfield Lane is a good movie. Too bad it really has nothing to do with the original Cloverfield.
10 Cloverfield Lane is much better than the original Cloverfield. :D And what made it so great was exactly that it wasn't anything like the original.
That's why I thought the ending kind of ruined it. The movie was great because it was a character based drama. The rushed battle against the aliens was anything but that. It was much more nerve-racking to see her fight Goodman's character.

- - - Updated - - -

K-Pax you fool. Watch it.
Maybe I will. :p

Boksic

May 11, 2005
I'm so turned off by Cinemas these days, all I see are superhero and animation posters. I'm disgusted with this fcked up generation.
:agree:

Hollywood has been badly out of ideas for a while. There are far too many superhero movies or unnecessary remakes/sequels. I don't mind the animated films, I'm not their target audience and I wouldn't go to see them at a cinema. I have to admit that some of the better "new" films I have seen in recent years have been animated.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Not everything rotates around Hollywood, though. You have plenty of other foreigh movies.
Very true, there have been some really good foreign films and they are increasingly accessible.

But there is no doubt Hollywood is the most influential, especially when choosing a film at the cinema e.g. my local one wouldn't show any foreign films.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Very true, there have been some really good foreign films and they are increasingly accessible.

But there is no doubt Hollywood is the most influential, especially when choosing a film at the cinema e.g. my local one wouldn't show any foreign films.
It's hard to see many of those movies, but not impossible. Hollywood is mainstream, yeah, and most of the time satisfies the average Joe. They are getting the cash and are successful, otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Then you have to look from another angle and realize that majority of people are stupid.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
10 Cloverfield Lane is much better than the original Cloverfield. :D And what made it so great was exactly that it wasn't anything like the original.
I didn't want it to be like the original but since they used the name they should at least connect it somehow.

But the name was just a marketing ploy. The movie was developed as having nothing to do with aliens or Cloverfield. They plastered that name in the late states for dat publicity.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I didn't want it to be like the original but since they used the name they should at least connect it somehow.

But the name was just a marketing ploy. The movie was developed as having nothing to do with aliens or Cloverfield. They plastered that name in the late states for dat publicity.
I see what you mean. It would have been better if they weren't connected at all. :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

Not everything rotates around Hollywood, though. You have plenty of other foreigh movies.
:tup:

If you live in a large city like me, there are usually at least one interesting movie released every single week. When you think about it, it's actually quite impressive. Sweet Bean this week, Eye in the Sky next week, La loi du marché the week after, Heart of a Dog and Mon roi the following one and Embrace of the Serpent the week after. I really think there are plenty of interesting movies out there.

I can see why you'd be annoyed with people's fascination for superhero movies, which is basically escapism, but when you got thousands of posts on a football forum discussing whether or not André Gomes would be an interesting purchase for your team, that criticism seems somewhat shallow.

The annoying thing about the popularity of superhero movies is that they occupy talented filmmakers who'd perhaps rather make a personal, experimenting film, but can't get the financing. But, of course, there are other ways of making movies than the Hollywood studio system.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I can see why you'd be annoyed with people's fascination for superhero movies, which is basically escapism, but when you got thousands of posts on a football forum discussing whether or not André Gomes would be an interesting purchase for your team, that criticism seems somewhat shallow.
And those are still the most sensible discussions on here too

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I see what you mean. It would have been better if they weren't connected at all. :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

:tup:

If you live in a large city like me, there are usually at least one interesting movie released every single week. When you think about it, it's actually quite impressive. Sweet Bean this week, Eye in the Sky next week, La loi du marché the week after, Heart of a Dog and Mon roi the following one and Embrace of the Serpent the week after. I really think there are plenty of interesting movies out there.

The annoying thing about the popularity of superhero movies is that they occupy talented filmmakers who'd perhaps rather make a personal, experimenting film, but can't get the financing. But, of course, there are other ways of making movies than the Hollywood studio system.
It's only their fault, though. It's them who accept making superhero movies. So it's pretty much them who want the money. They obviously don't want to make an impact in the industry or on someones life, but they want the cash.

And yeah, when you look at the bigger picture then a lot of things don't make sense. Still, there are plenty of interesting movies that come out which are not available for me (can't even find torrents for plenty) which is kinda sad. Then again, there's always some choice.

Super hero movies have huge audience which is pretty worrying for the humanity.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
It's only their fault, though. It's them who accept making superhero movies. So it's pretty much them who want the money. They obviously don't want to make an impact in the industry or on someones life, but they want the cash.

And yeah, when you look at the bigger picture then a lot of things don't make sense. Still, there are plenty of interesting movies that come out which are not available for me (can't even find torrents for plenty) which is kinda sad. Then again, there's always some choice.

Super hero movies have huge audience which is pretty worrying for the humanity.
Like what? :D

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
1) Black Coal, Thin Ice --- Won Golden Bear at Berlin International Film Festival, Liao Fan won Silver Bear as best actor
2) Leviathan ---- Won best screenplay at Cannes, Won best Foreign film at Golden Globes, Nominated for Best Foreign Film Academy Awards
3) Winter Sleep --- Won Palme d'Or and Fipresci at Cannes
4) A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Reflecting On Existence --- Won Golden Lion at Venice International Film Festival
5) Two Days, One Night --- Marion Cotillard nominated for Best Actress Academy Awards, Nominated for Palme d'Or Cannes
6) Force Majeure --- Won Un Certain Regard Jury Prize Cannes, Won Best Film at Guldbagge (Sweden) awards
7) Wild Tales --- Nominated for best foreign language film Academy Awards, Nominated for Palme d'Or Cannes
8) Field of Dogs --- Nominated for Golden Frog Camerimage (world's biggest cinematography film festival)
9) Birdman --- Nominated for Best Picture at Academy Awards + 8 other nominations
10) A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night --- Won best first feature or Directorial revelation at multiple major film festivals
11) Whiplash --- Nominated for Best Picture at Academy Awards + 4 other nominations
12) Corn Island ---Won Crystal Globe at Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, Nominated for Best foreign language film Academy Awards
13) The Grand Budapest Hotel --- Nominated for best picture at Academy Awards + 8 other nominations
14) Tale of Princess Kaguya --- Nominated for best Animated feature film Academy Awards, Won best animated feature film at multiple festivals
15) In Order of Disappearance --- Nominated for Golden Bear at Berlin International Film Festival

Stations of The Cross
Haemoo
Goodnight Mommy
Coming Home
Tom At the Farm
The Boy and The World
The Way He Looks
The Kidnapping of Michel Houellebecq
THe Dark Valley

Maybe I'm out-dated at this point. :D Last time I checked I couldn't find majority of those on torrents. Not because there were no seeders but simply not anything on sites.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
1) Black Coal, Thin Ice --- Won Golden Bear at Berlin International Film Festival, Liao Fan won Silver Bear as best actor
2) Leviathan ---- Won best screenplay at Cannes, Won best Foreign film at Golden Globes, Nominated for Best Foreign Film Academy Awards
3) Winter Sleep --- Won Palme d'Or and Fipresci at Cannes
4) A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Reflecting On Existence --- Won Golden Lion at Venice International Film Festival
5) Two Days, One Night --- Marion Cotillard nominated for Best Actress Academy Awards, Nominated for Palme d'Or Cannes
6) Force Majeure --- Won Un Certain Regard Jury Prize Cannes, Won Best Film at Guldbagge (Sweden) awards
7) Wild Tales --- Nominated for best foreign language film Academy Awards, Nominated for Palme d'Or Cannes
8) Field of Dogs --- Nominated for Golden Frog Camerimage (world's biggest cinematography film festival)
9) Birdman --- Nominated for Best Picture at Academy Awards + 8 other nominations
10) A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night --- Won best first feature or Directorial revelation at multiple major film festivals
11) Whiplash --- Nominated for Best Picture at Academy Awards + 4 other nominations
12) Corn Island ---Won Crystal Globe at Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, Nominated for Best foreign language film Academy Awards
13) The Grand Budapest Hotel --- Nominated for best picture at Academy Awards + 8 other nominations
14) Tale of Princess Kaguya --- Nominated for best Animated feature film Academy Awards, Won best animated feature film at multiple festivals
15) In Order of Disappearance --- Nominated for Golden Bear at Berlin International Film Festival

Stations of The Cross
Haemoo
Goodnight Mommy
Coming Home
Tom At the Farm
The Boy and The World
The Way He Looks
The Kidnapping of Michel Houellebecq
THe Dark Valley

Maybe I'm out-dated at this point. :D Last time I checked I couldn't find majority of those on torrents. Not because there were no seeders but simply not anything on sites.
Only took me a few minutes to find all of them. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 124)