Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (52 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Hollywood takes what is already an incredible story, and further sensationalizes it, making it absurd. The Revenant could have been great. Not a lot is known about Hugh Glass and his story, but enough that could have made a brilliant film of survival and coming to peace with it.

But adding a murdered son into the mix, an entirely fictional revenge narrative, and killing off people who actually didn't die in reality is just stupid in this instance.

Hollywood. :sergio:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Hollywood takes what is already an incredible story, and further sensationalizes it, making it absurd. The Revenant could have been great. Not a lot is known about Hugh Glass and his story, but enough that could have made a brilliant film of survival and coming to peace with it.

But adding a murdered son into the mix, an entirely fictional revenge narrative, and killing off people who actually didn't die in reality is just stupid in this instance.

Hollywood. :sergio:
From what I've read, the revenge narrative isn't fictional. Just completely different from what is portrayed in the film.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
From what I've read, the revenge narrative isn't fictional. Just completely different from what is portrayed in the film.
He kills Fitzgerald who in reality he didn't kill. Domhnall Gleeson's character also didn't die in reality as part of that revenge narrative. They made up a bunch of nonsense to make the story more dramatic. The murdered son, him killing Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald killing Andrew Henry... None of these things happened.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
He kills Fitzgerald who in reality he didn't kill. Domhnall Gleeson's character also didn't die in reality as part of that revenge narrative. They made up a bunch of nonsense to make the story more dramatic. The murdered son, him killing Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald killing Andrew Henry... None of these things happened.
Yep, but he did track down the guys who left him for dead. One guy he didn't kill because he felt he was truly sorry and another because he had joined the arm. So the revenge narrative was always there. Only he ended up coming to grips with his trauma and not taking revenge.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Yep, but he did track down the guys who left him for dead. One guy he didn't kill because he felt he was truly sorry and another because he had joined the arm. So the revenge narrative was always there. Only he ended up coming to grips with his trauma and not taking revenge.
I agree with that, I just see that as a far more powerful ending than the nonsense they made up. Just my opinion. Don't adapt a "true" story and turn it into something mostly fictional. It's ridiculous.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I watched The Revenant and I liked it. I had no idea what the true story was, so I guess I didn't mind it as much. So it was good imo.

I also watched The Hateful Eight and I thought it was absolutely great. I really enjoyed it and I wasn't expecting it to be that great. Strangly enough, the soundtrack disappointed me which I thought it would be the best part of the movie. Bar the first 15 minutes or so I did not notice the music in it. Worst movie for Ennio imo.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I watched The Revenant and I liked it. I had no idea what the true story was, so I guess I didn't mind it as much. So it was good imo.

I also watched The Hateful Eight and I thought it was absolutely great. I really enjoyed it and I wasn't expecting it to be that great. Strangly enough, the soundtrack disappointed me which I thought it would be the best part of the movie. Bar the first 15 minutes or so I did not notice the music in it. Worst movie for Ennio imo.
I don't think The Revenant was bad. Not at all. It was very good. I'm just disappointed that they veered so far off "true" story, which was incredible already, and itself filled with exaggeration. The fact they thought it necessary to set up the silly revenge fight at the end made the ending very poor in my opinion and the reported historical ending of him catching up to both of them and having to overcome his urge for vengeance and forgive them would have been much more powerful in my opinion.

Regardless, Leo was amazing, and the film itself was gorgeous.

Haven't seen Hateful Eight yet... Worth checking out at the cinema?

- - - Updated - - -

I think Dule watched it in bad quality online.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes
Was it good?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 50)