Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (51 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Not you two, I meant the Sören post, even if he was joking. And its not about spoilers, dont wanna read any casual impressions of the movie in any way, to keep my viewing experience expectations free.
He wasn't at the premiere. He was trying to be funny.

But yeah, I get that you don't want casual impressions. I avoided reviews too. :D

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Star Wars spoilers

Yeah it had parts of the previous movies but considering they had to fill like 30 years between the movies I think they did a great job. The mail villian is like 7 feet tall but Voller is right, it was a projection. I'm actually very glad they didn't show much of him, yet they showed a glance of evil. I'm still hoping for him to be Darth Plagueis because he sure as hell does look like him. @ZoSo, when it comes to Kylo, having the mask, he's like one of the coolest/badass villians especially with his voice IMO. I also think he's very 'new' to the dark side, hence his hesitations and scared face during many scences, he's still a padawan on the dark side which his lightsaber also shows. The energy on it seems disballanced and I expect it to be in a full shape in the next movie where the tall evil guy promised him training (which should take a couple of years, for both him and Rey to get in a shape). He still has some light inside of him, he even mentioned it and too bad he killed you know who, but that was pretty expected. Rey beating him was pretty meh but then again you could see at the start that she has the skills, having those guys beaten with her staff. Overall I really, really liked the movie, it was great.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I dont even know what shot in IMAX means. Its new to me.
From Wiki:

The IMAX cinema process increases the image resolution by using a large-frame film; in relative terms, of producing a sharp movie image, a frame of 35mm film produces approximately six thousand lines (6K) of horizontal resolution, but an IMAX-format film frame produces approximately 18 thousand lines (18K) of horizontal resolution.
You'll notice the IMAX sequence when the aspect ratio changes from 2.35:1 to 1.43:1.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
And the whole movie only has one shot of this technique? Meh.

I hope it less annoying to watch then 3D.
Yeah, the rest of the movie is shot on film. It's converted to 3D. Basically, watching it in 2D makes the most sense.

Of course your IMAX cinema got newer and better technology than your average cinema, but if you're watching a movie shot on film converted to 3D and projected digitally, the difference isn't going to be that big. :D

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
The three of us seem to agree.

At first I thought he was a giant too, but wasn't it just the projection thing that made him seem like a giant?

He seemed like a villain that would fit better in Guardians of the Galaxy though...

- - - Updated - - -
@Dostoevsky
Epic.

Btw that music in Star Wars when Snoke appears is absolutely wonderful. :D

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Son of Saul - Not "just" another holocaust film. Particularly the innovative cinematography makes it stand out. One of the year's best films.
Creed - Clichéfest, but well made. The boxing scene filmed in one take is awesome. Stallone with, perhaps, his best performance in his career.
Love - Mixed feelings on this one. The idea of a love story focusing on sex is pretty great. And the unsimulated sex scenes actually makes some sense. Still, Noé ends up provoking for the sake of provoking.
Under sandet (aka Land of mine) - Best Danish film of the year. A straightforward war movie about young German soldiers digging up land-mines after WW2.
Nostalgia of the Light - Strange, artsy documentary that mixes astronomy with the aftermath of the Pinochét regime. The combination doesn't quite work, but it's still a fascinating watch.
Victoria - The whole movie is filmed in one take, and it doesn't just seem like the filmmakers are showing off. With the exception of a a few illogical plot points, it's highly recommendable.
Listen to Me Marlon - It would probably have worked better as an audiobook. Brando's private audio recordings are great, but the visuals almost seem unnecessary.
Mr. Holmes - Ian McKellen is great as the aging Sherlock with early dementia. It's small in scope, but it's well made.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 49)