Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (49 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well, clearly there can be a smug arrogance thing -- the "I watch art and you peasants watch trash" thing. That certainly can get tiresome.

But what some of you are missing is that who really gives a shit about promoting a mainstream movie? You can talk to any 13 year old and get an opinion, and you can't go to a nearby theater without having it slammed in your faces. Nobody really has honestly much to learn from others here about movies they already know about and have been covered 50 times over in the mainstream and social media.

So if you can put up with the annoying snobbery at times, where are you going to hear about some of the harder-to-find releases? You might actually have a chance at discovering something new you haven't already heard 50 times over by now.

Buy on AliExpress.com

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
Look at the start of his career. He was always a decent actor, and that remains what he is IMO. From 1996 - 2000 his screen credits are mostly for serious films, and mostly decent films, and he wasn't half bad in them. Amistad, A Time to Kill, Contact, U-571, Lone Star, The Newton Boys... It was EdTV in 1999 that sent McConaughy spiralling down that Rom Com path for 10 years. He did U-571 in 2000, and then didn't act in a decent film again until The Lincoln Lawyer in 2011.

Now stop calling me a hipster, you dick. :D

- - - Updated - - -

PS. I don't think Under the Skin was a bad film. I just don't think it was a good film either. It was in the middle ground. Interesting and ambiguous story that I felt was missing a little something, with a mediocre/alright acting performance by Scarlett Johansson. So yeah. I'm in between. :shifty:

I've read the book as well. Not a great book either, but still book>film here.
I hate his romance flicks. Fucking girl i was with made me hate his ugly face, so there's that. And his older 'serious' movies didn't really interest me. :D Then little by little he chose better movies to be in and proved to be a hell of an actor.

Never. HIPSEHRTEER :D

Understandable. Some things aren't supposed to click for everybody. In this case It's not a matter or bad or good, just personal taste. But i kindly disagree, i liked her acting. It fit her character like a glove.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Well, clearly there can be a smug arrogance thing -- the "I watch art and you peasants watch trash" thing. That certainly can get tiresome.

But what some of you are missing is that who really gives a shit about promoting a mainstream movie? You can talk to any 13 year old and get an opinion, and you can't go to a nearby theater without having it slammed in your faces. Nobody really has honestly much to learn from others here about movies they already know about and have been covered 50 times over in the mainstream and social media.

So if you can put up with the annoying snobbery at times, where are you going to hear about some of the harder-to-find releases? You might actually have a chance at discovering something new you haven't already heard 50 times over by now.
:agree:

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013

Yep, that's why i said it's important to find a balance.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I don't watch movies that much, and even less try to analyze them and TBH bar The Grand Budapest Hotel I haven't watched any of them. So, I wasn't being entirely serious nor was that directed only at you, I guessed you and Voller were mocking each other, but I have seen a lot people talking $#@! about movies just because they are mainstream and get nominated for awards. At the end of the day everyone has it's own taste and can't be laughed at for liking a movie that is widely rated (not that you have to like it too because of that)

Just a couple of weeks ago I watched Inception for a 3rd time or so, just because it was on TV. And out of curiosity went to imdb to read the reviews which I rarely do, I was amazed to see how many one star ratings it had, I mean I understand people not liking it but seriously one star? Worse than Sharknado?

The second part of the post has nothing to do with you obviously.
:agree: :tup:

I like films from all over the map. I trend towards the less mainstream stuff most of the time, but am always willing to acknowledge a great mainstream film when I see it. I try my best not to judge a film before watching it, although, sometimes it's hard if I've seen previous films with a certain director, or certain actors and dislike their work.

Anyways. I was getting too defensive in here with both you and @Völler

I apologize.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013

I like films from all over the map. I trend towards the less mainstream stuff most of the time, but am always willing to acknowledge a great mainstream film when I see it. I try my best not to judge a film before watching it, although, sometimes it's hard if I've seen previous films with a certain director, or certain actors and dislike their work.

I apologize.
Now get on your knees and give them a helping hand, yes?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

But what some of you are missing is that who really gives a $#@! about promoting a mainstream movie? You can talk to any 13 year old and get an opinion, and you can't go to a nearby theater without having it slammed in your faces. Nobody really has honestly much to learn from others here about movies they already know about and have been covered 50 times over in the mainstream and social media.

:tup:

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006

I apologize.
Everything's cool, no need to apologize, I wasn't even here when you and voller had this thing going and if anything sorry for calling you hipster, hipster. :D

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
Watched a great deal of movies in the last few weeks , most of them were meh to passable , the ones that stood out were fury , nightcrawler and birdman . Fury was great , but the ending was very cliched imho , nightcrawler was a great character driven movie , exellent performance from gylenhal , loved the ending . Birdman was masterfully directed , great performance by keaton , I just didn't like the background music , at times I had to go back several times to understand what the characters were saying .

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004

This. Following the mainstream commercial cinema makes you lazy. What you think you enjoy/like and what you are fed with become more or less the same and at some point, you won't be able to be patient enough to sit, watch and enjoy movies which are not following the rules of the mainstream cinema (it's sad that the vast majority of Americans do not enjoy foreign movies mostly because they have to read the subtitles, something almost every non-English speaking fan of cinema is very much used to, but they don't mind at all watching crap such as Tomb Raider). And I honestly don't find PostIronic's posts annoying snobbery either (even though I don't like many of the movies that he likes :p) and I actually think that his frustration is more justified than say ALC's [:D] because at least his concerns are valid: what he is promoting here (low budget cinema) is likely to die out if it doesn't get supported by moviegoers and awards (which is why they are important). That said, I think Scarlett is a fine actress :heart:

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003
The list I posted about 6 weeks ago of what I thought were the best films of 2014... and the awards they won, or have been nominated for.

1) Black Coal, Thin Ice --- Won Golden Bear at Berlin International Film Festival, Liao Fan won Silver Bear as best actor
2) Leviathan ---- Won best screenplay at Cannes, Won best Foreign film at Golden Globes, Nominated for Best Foreign Film Academy Awards
3) Winter Sleep --- Won Palme d'Or and Fipresci at Cannes
4) A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Reflecting On Existence --- Won Golden Lion at Venice International Film Festival
5) Two Days, One Night --- Marion Cotillard nominated for Best Actress Academy Awards, Nominated for Palme d'Or Cannes
6) Force Majeure --- Won Un Certain Regard Jury Prize Cannes, Won Best Film at Guldbagge (Sweden) awards
7) Wild Tales --- Nominated for best foreign language film Academy Awards, Nominated for Palme d'Or Cannes
8) Field of Dogs --- Nominated for Golden Frog Camerimage (world's biggest cinematography film festival)
9) Birdman --- Nominated for Best Picture at Academy Awards + 8 other nominations
10) A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night --- Won best first feature or Directorial revelation at multiple major film festivals
11) Whiplash --- Nominated for Best Picture at Academy Awards + 4 other nominations
12) Corn Island ---Won Crystal Globe at Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, Nominated for Best foreign language film Academy Awards
13) The Grand Budapest Hotel --- Nominated for best picture at Academy Awards + 8 other nominations
14) Tale of Princess Kaguya --- Nominated for best Animated feature film Academy Awards, Won best animated feature film at multiple festivals
15) In Order of Disappearance --- Nominated for Golden Bear at Berlin International Film Festival

Care to state that my preference is for unknown 500K budget films again?
Interesting list.

From your list, I've seen Two Days One Night, Force Majeure, Birdman, Whiplash, and The Grand Budapest Hotel. All great movies.

I have Leviathan, Winter Sleep, and The Tale of Princess Kaguya on my PC waiting to be watched.

Are the rest available on torrents?

Regarding Under The Skin, I thought it was a rather average movie. I didn't hate it nor particularly love it. It certainly does not deserve to be talked about for 3/4 pages on this thread. Scarlet might not be one of the finest actresses, but she's decent enough to say the least. She was pretty cool in Don Jon. :klin:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Interesting list.

From your list, I've seen Two Days One Night, Force Majeure, Birdman, Whiplash, and The Grand Budapest Hotel. All great movies.

I have Leviathan, Winter Sleep, and The Tale of Princess Kaguya on my PC waiting to be watched.

Are the rest available on torrents?

Regarding Under The Skin, I thought it was a rather average movie. I didn't hate it nor particularly love it. It certainly does not deserve to be talked about for 3/4 pages on this thread. Scarlet might not be one of the finest actresses, but she's decent enough to say the least. She was pretty cool in Don Jon. :klin:
:)

Black Coal, Thin Ice just popped up on torrent sites, finally without hardcoded Chinese subs. I think there are English subs available for it on Subscene. https://kickass.to/black-coal-thin-ice-2014-nordic-brrip-x264-aac-5-1-devil-mkv-t10176397.html There's also BluRay versions up but they are 12 and 5.5 gigs respectively, which is a little crazy. I think the version I linked has a link to English Subtitles on that page.

Chinese Realism meets Neo-Noir. Atmospheric film, that's relentlessly bleak and nihilistic. Plot and character development are ignored to some extent, or at least not focused upon so much as the atmosphere and feel of the film. It's quite interesting.

In Order of Disappearance https://kickass.to/kraftidioten-in-order-of-disappearance-hans-petter-moland-2014-t10196572.html#main

I really like Stellan Skarsgård, but I confess that this film may not be for everyone. Myself, I thought it was excellent. Darkly comic, with witty dialogue. It walks a fine line between grim and silly, but seems to do quite an excellent job of not falling to either side.

I think A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence, Wild Tales, Field of Dogs, and A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, Corn Island are all yet to show up on torrents.

- - - Updated - - -

A couple other really excellent 2014 films are:

Stations of The Cross
Haemoo
Goodnight Mommy
Coming Home
Tom At the Farm
The Boy and The World
The Way He Looks
The Kidnapping of Michel Houellebecq
THe Dark Valley

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
A Pidgeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence :lol:

I refuse to watch that movie based on the title alone :D
It's indeed werid.

Btw maybe you can answer my question. :D Why is there a lack of quality history movies based on real events? And why even if they do make some, like Alexandar, they twist everything around and put things that didn't even happen? It's not like he didn't have a great background which would make a movie rather interesting, why invent stuff...

Or is there a movie I don't know about?

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Well, there's more to it than promotion. To me it's interesting to read other people's opinion about mainstream movies to get an idea if they are worth watching or not, to navigate the landscape, so to speak. Or if they disagree with my opinion, to find out why that is. Surely there's something to learn that way.

This. Following the mainstream commercial cinema makes you lazy. What you think you enjoy/like and what you are fed with become more or less the same and at some point, you won't be able to be patient enough to sit, watch and enjoy movies which are not following the rules of the mainstream cinema (it's sad that the vast majority of Americans do not enjoy foreign movies mostly because they have to read the subtitles, something almost every non-English speaking fan of cinema is very much used to, but they don't mind at all watching crap such as Tomb Raider). And I honestly don't find PostIronic's posts annoying snobbery either (even though I don't like many of the movies that he likes :p) and I actually think that his frustration is more justified than say ALC's [:D] because at least his concerns are valid: what he is promoting here (low budget cinema) is likely to die out if it doesn't get supported by moviegoers and awards (which is why they are important). That said, I think Scarlett is a fine actress :heart:
You've been reading too much Adorno. Lumping together commercial cinema as if there was no difference in quality and nothing to learn from any of it is just wrong if you ask me. But sure, you do have a valid opinion regarding subtitles. Also, I don't see any reason why low budget cinema should be dying out. It's getting cheaper and cheaper to make low budget films. It's the risky medium-sized Hollywood movies that are in risk, in my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 44)