Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (190 Viewers)

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
Bunch of hipsters here seriously, movies that get nominated for highest awards are shit but some 500k budget movie from Sweden that no one has ever heard is awesome.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
Awards mean shit. But he's got a point... You have to find a balance between mainstream and not mainstream, there are plenty of good and bad from both sides.

It's stupid to be in any of the extremes and time wasting, honestly. Liking foreign cult movies doesn't make anyone special or more intelligent in any way, the same way that enjoying blockbusters doesn't make you a mindless dumb cunt.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
...and your thing for calling me "postmoronic" every few days is equally tiring. If you want to call me a moron, I'm going to respond in kind.

Aside from this. I said I think a film is mediocre, and that Scarlett Johansson is a terrible actress. It's my opinion. That is obvious.

The comment about their taste is clearly said in jest, as CK and Ocelot, along with X, Dule, and funnily enough, yourself are the posters in this thread who frequently contribute interesting reviews and discussions of films. And I've clearly shown multiple times in this thread that I am interested in their opinions of films. It's a forum, obviously a little teasing happens here and there.

CK said he thought most of David Lynch was shit, when I was saying how much I liked him. I didn't call him a moron for it.

SO kindly fuck off.
I doubt I've called you PostMoronic more than five times, but obviously a little teasing happens here and there. And I obviously didn't call you PostMoronic because you dislike Scarlett Johansson, but because of the "I thought you had good taste" comment. :)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Under the Skin is unlike probably any other movie you will see in the past 3-5 years. People either love it or hate it.

I loved it... completely unorthodox in its storytelling and execution. People who want your traditional plot arc and reality-based narrative in its storytelling will be horribly disappointed. But the same is true for anyone who saw 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Come on... whatever you think of Scarlett's acting abilities, how can you not appreciate a move starring Scarlett as an alien who drives around Scotland in a rape van?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I doubt I've called you PostMoronic more than five times, but obviously a little teasing happens here and there. And I obviously didn't call you PostMoronic because you dislike Scarlett Johansson, but because of the "I thought you had good taste" comment. :)
That comment was the part that was said entirely in jest. Both Ocelot and CK know that I think they have great taste, even if we disagree on whether a particular film is good or not... The same can be said for you and Dusan and X. And I'm sure others in the thread also. TO be honest, I could care less if someone likes mainstream Hollywood action films exclusively. Good for them. My taste in film isn't better, it's different.

I have opinions, I express them, sometimes I tease others about their differing opinions, sometimes they tease me. I get called a hipster every other time I post an opinion in this thread. I take it as teasing.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
Under the Skin is unlike probably any other movie you will see in the past 3-5 years. People either love it or hate it.

I loved it... completely unorthodox in its storytelling and execution. People who want your traditional plot arc and reality-based narrative in its storytelling will be horribly disappointed. But the same is true for anyone who saw 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Come on... whatever you think of Scarlett's acting abilities, how can you not appreciate a move starring Scarlett as an alien who drives around Scotland in a rape van?
Fun fact: the director for this movie was the director for Karma Police by Radiohead. And that was a fucking good video in a time when videos mattered.

You could already tell how hugely Kubrick influences his style. I personally think it's fucking fantastic, absolutely loved the movie.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Bunch of hipsters here seriously, movies that get nominated for highest awards are $#@! but some 500k budget movie from Sweden that no one has ever heard is awesome.
The list I posted about 6 weeks ago of what I thought were the best films of 2014... and the awards they won, or have been nominated for.

1) Black Coal, Thin Ice --- Won Golden Bear at Berlin International Film Festival, Liao Fan won Silver Bear as best actor
2) Leviathan ---- Won best screenplay at Cannes, Won best Foreign film at Golden Globes, Nominated for Best Foreign Film Academy Awards
3) Winter Sleep --- Won Palme d'Or and Fipresci at Cannes
4) A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Reflecting On Existence --- Won Golden Lion at Venice International Film Festival
5) Two Days, One Night --- Marion Cotillard nominated for Best Actress Academy Awards, Nominated for Palme d'Or Cannes
6) Force Majeure --- Won Un Certain Regard Jury Prize Cannes, Won Best Film at Guldbagge (Sweden) awards
7) Wild Tales --- Nominated for best foreign language film Academy Awards, Nominated for Palme d'Or Cannes
8) Field of Dogs --- Nominated for Golden Frog Camerimage (world's biggest cinematography film festival)
9) Birdman --- Nominated for Best Picture at Academy Awards + 8 other nominations
10) A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night --- Won best first feature or Directorial revelation at multiple major film festivals
11) Whiplash --- Nominated for Best Picture at Academy Awards + 4 other nominations
12) Corn Island ---Won Crystal Globe at Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, Nominated for Best foreign language film Academy Awards
13) The Grand Budapest Hotel --- Nominated for best picture at Academy Awards + 8 other nominations
14) Tale of Princess Kaguya --- Nominated for best Animated feature film Academy Awards, Won best animated feature film at multiple festivals
15) In Order of Disappearance --- Nominated for Golden Bear at Berlin International Film Festival

Care to state that my preference is for unknown 500K budget films again?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Fun fact: the director for this movie was the director for Karma Police by Radiohead. And that was a fucking good video in a time when videos mattered.

You could already tell how hugely Kubrick influences his style. I personally think it's fucking fantastic, absolutely loved the movie.
Not to mention that he was the director for Sexy Beast :heart:

Ghandi this, muthaf^%$#$s...

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Shut up, hispter.

- - - Updated - - -

Because you know i'd put you in your place, hipster.

- - - Updated - - -

There's no buts. Watch the movie. Prejudging is dumb. Matthew McConaughey used to be a $#@! actor worth of $#@!ty comedy/romance flicks, look what he's become. I'm not saying it's the case but here she did a fine job.

Oh and just a heads up; the movie is not for everyone and i'm not saying this as if that makes me special because i liked it. But that it just isn't for everyone. You either hate it or love it, there's no between.
Look at the start of his career. He was always a decent actor, and that remains what he is IMO. From 1996 - 2000 his screen credits are mostly for serious films, and mostly decent films, and he wasn't half bad in them. Amistad, A Time to Kill, Contact, U-571, Lone Star, The Newton Boys... It was EdTV in 1999 that sent McConaughy spiralling down that Rom Com path for 10 years. He did U-571 in 2000, and then didn't act in a decent film again until The Lincoln Lawyer in 2011.

Now stop calling me a hipster, you dick. :D

- - - Updated - - -

PS. I don't think Under the Skin was a bad film. I just don't think it was a good film either. It was in the middle ground. Interesting and ambiguous story that I felt was missing a little something, with a mediocre/alright acting performance by Scarlett Johansson. So yeah. I'm in between. :shifty:

I've read the book as well. Not a great book either, but still book>film here.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
The list I posted about 6 weeks ago of what I thought were the best films of 2014... and the awards they won, or have been nominated for.

1) Black Coal, Thin Ice --- Won Golden Bear at Berlin International Film Festival, Liao Fan won Silver Bear as best actor
2) Leviathan ---- Won best screenplay at Cannes, Won best Foreign film at Golden Globes, Nominated for Best Foreign Film Academy Awards
3) Winter Sleep --- Won Palme d'Or and Fipresci at Cannes
4) A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Reflecting On Existence --- Won Golden Lion at Venice International Film Festival
5) Two Days, One Night --- Marion Cotillard nominated for Best Actress Academy Awards, Nominated for Palme d'Or Cannes
6) Force Majeure --- Won Un Certain Regard Jury Prize Cannes, Won Best Film at Guldbagge (Sweden) awards
7) Wild Tales --- Nominated for best foreign language film Academy Awards, Nominated for Palme d'Or Cannes
8) Field of Dogs --- Nominated for Golden Frog Camerimage (world's biggest cinematography film festival)
9) Birdman --- Nominated for Best Picture at Academy Awards + 8 other nominations
10) A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night --- Won best first feature or Directorial revelation at multiple major film festivals
11) Whiplash --- Nominated for Best Picture at Academy Awards + 4 other nominations
12) Corn Island ---Won Crystal Globe at Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, Nominated for Best foreign language film Academy Awards
13) The Grand Budapest Hotel --- Nominated for best picture at Academy Awards + 8 other nominations
14) Tale of Princess Kaguya --- Nominated for best Animated feature film Academy Awards, Won best animated feature film at multiple festivals
15) In Order of Disappearance --- Nominated for Golden Bear at Berlin International Film Festival

Care to state that my preference is for unknown 500K budget films again?
Don't mind the fuss. Some folks only have the interest and energy to walk to the nearest Pizza Hut or McDonald's and eat what's readily marketed and available to them. Heaven forbid if they had to trek across town and step in some unsightly Mexican place and be labelled a hipster for doing so.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
I don't watch movies that much, and even less try to analyze them and TBH bar The Grand Budapest Hotel I haven't watched any of them. So, I wasn't being entirely serious nor was that directed only at you, I guessed you and Voller were mocking each other, but I have seen a lot people talking shit about movies just because they are mainstream and get nominated for awards. At the end of the day everyone has it's own taste and can't be laughed at for liking a movie that is widely rated (not that you have to like it too because of that)

Just a couple of weeks ago I watched Inception for a 3rd time or so, just because it was on TV. And out of curiosity went to imdb to read the reviews which I rarely do, I was amazed to see how many one star ratings it had, I mean I understand people not liking it but seriously one star? Worse than Sharknado?

The second part of the post has nothing to do with you obviously.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Awards mean $#@!. But he's got a point... You have to find a balance between mainstream and not mainstream, there are plenty of good and bad from both sides.

It's stupid to be in any of the extremes and time wasting, honestly. Liking foreign cult movies doesn't make anyone special or more intelligent in any way, the same way that enjoying blockbusters doesn't make you a mindless dumb $#@!.
I don't necessarily agree with this. I studied film in school, and still write the occasional review for a friend's University Journal. So I watch everything. I mean everything. From mainstream superhero movies to student films from American film schools to the film festival award winners and nominees, to incredibly obscure foreign films that circulate on the private torrent trackers like Karagarga and Surrealmoviez. Some of the most interesting films I've ever seen have less than 200 (or even 100) votes on IMDB. A film in my top 5 of all time has 175 votes. This is why I watch everything that I can, because there are a lot of films from the non-digital era, especially from behind the Iron Curtain, that were never screened in the West, and are considered brilliant films, yet only just showing up in the past few years on the internet to see, or in retrospectives at repertory cinemas in big North American cities for single screenings. I've waded through a lot of schlock, but I've also discovered brilliance in the least likely films.

I don't think it makes me more intelligent or special in any way, everyone has their interests, but it certainly does make me more versed in film than the average movie watcher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 183)