Maurizio Sarri (256 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I dont get this obsession with formation 442, 433, 4312, etc. To me its more important player selection... Current group of players wont magically play better if we switch between few formations, lets say Costa drifts more to the wide than staying in the middle. Do people seriously think this little change will put us in better position to win CL? We need better midfielders, we need to close the gaps in our defense that has been leaking goals left and right, while top 3-4 can occupy any of the roles they feel like and its never as strict. I mean when the time comes, or important CL games and if you keep fielding Matuidi, if Pjanic will still look like retiree, if our defense wont be composed and organized, if Woj will keep making blunders, etc...

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously its about players, just look at the midfield we had back then and then look at the scrubbs we have now. Erikssen was a good opportunity and we should have invested more of our effort to lure him here.
I disagree. I think the current group of players can do better with the addition of width. We don't have the CMs or the CAM required to play effectively with such a narrow formation.

Not necessarily 433 but Sarri won't try a 3 man backline leaves us with few effective options for the current crop of players.

I exxagerate because I dislike Sarri as a person but I don't think he is a useless coach my issue is his flexibility does not suit a squad that isn't tailor made for how he wants to play.

It was a questionable decision to hire him. I do believe, provided we acquire wingers, Sarriventus could be quite good next season but I'm not fond of this situation were we have a coach with such a limited wheelhouse.

We've ended up in this position because management wanted a more progressive coach but limits its scope to Italian managers giving you a very short list and the obvious choice being Sarri. If you want to play more progressive football for a broader appeal than maybe its time to expand the coaching pool we look at.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
He is certainly a clown with how he conducts himself.
Agreed about the conduct part. But the part of his job that matters - coaching and not press conferences - I dont see a reason to call him a clown for that, imo he's doing a pretty good job there.

- - - Updated - - -

Those teams could play any formation and have success.
Nah, if you tried to make 433 work with Tevez and Morata, thats not gonna work, especially in defense. And its the same with Dybala, Ronaldo, Higuain, I dont think a classic 433 with Ronaldo as LW or Dybala as RW is our best formation, I prefer a 2 man frontline whether its 4312, 442 or a hybrid formation. We may have looked good against Roma, but a good team would have teared that press once we tired.

Last edited:

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I disagree. I think the current group of players can do better with the addition of width. We don't have the CMs or the CAM required to play effectively with such a narrow formation.

Not necessarily 433 but Sarri won't try a 3 man backline leaves us with few effective options for the current crop of players.

I exxagerate because I dislike Sarri as a person but I don't think he is a useless coach my issue is his flexibility does not suit a squad that isn't tailor made for how he wants to play.

It was a questionable decision to hire him. I do believe, provided we acquire wingers, Sarriventus could be quite good next season but I'm not fond of this situation were we have a coach with such a limited wheelhouse.

We've ended up in this position because management wanted a more progressive coach but limits its scope to Italian managers giving you a very short list and the obvious choice being Sarri. If you want to play more progressive football for a broader appeal than maybe its time to expand the coaching pool we look at.
As few others have already pointed out, decision between playing it narrow or providing more width, fielding Costa as a winger or attacking midfielder isnt our main issue. I wish it was as simple as that. Lack of chemistry between our players in the middle, lack of balance, inabillity to control the game and slower down tempo, then soak up the pressure when we get tired, high defensive line which leaves us exposed to counter attacks, terrible defending of set pieces, Sarri's poor ingame decisions, etc are bigger concerns.

Tbh We dont have wingers either. Costa is fit on average once in a few weeks so he cant be relied upon. There is no difference as well if prematch graphics line him up in the middle or wide because he will always drift out wide. But him being rarely fit leaves Sarri with no option there other than to play Ramsey behind strikers. Even if you find a way to provide width with current group, we look woeful when trying to whip a cross in. In case you missed several dozen Cuadrado's and to less extent Sandro's crosses that usually finish way behind the far post. 3 man backline also isnt an option atm because of injuries. So in short I think we messed up summer mercato and then failed to adress weaknesses in January, that coupled with coach like Sarri and there isnt much to hope for in CL. But wtf knows and maybe we lucky it out in the end... ;)

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
I like Sarri’s idea in playing to win an actual fucking game, yet gets criticised. We’re breaking the mould after all that game of chess tactics we were accustomed to. Yes I thank the previous managers we’ve had. But I find having Sarri a breath of fresh air.

Tolath

Jun 3, 2018
he uses 4-3-1-2 because we have a couple of players that can play in AM position and our Right Wingers Costa and Bernadeschi are usually injured or totally out of form.

regarding the 3 man back line with high defensive line and zonal marking i don't find it a good idea.
The only thing i don't like is that he rarely switches formation when game is in progress making tactical adjustments to counter or expose certain things.

Not sure what is happening in the training but for me up until now we should have a game already with Dybala starting as a false 9 in 4-3-3 and Ramsey as b2b mid

another thing i will like to see is 4-4-2 with Ronaldo and Dybala as ss but probably Sarri will never try it out

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
One of the best was that Celtic fan, I think it was even a girl iirc, that showed up and threw a tantrum after they got spanked by us with our “dark arts” and a clinical Matri. “She” even guaranteed they were going to smoke us in Turin in the return leg lol

I joined the forum for that tie against Celtic. :touched:

@piotrr

https://www.juventuz.com/threads/ch...-february-12-2013.37395/page-164#post-4053658

Legend. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Remember this wonderful Celtic poster:
https://www.juventuz.com/threads/ch...-february-12-2013.37395/page-145#post-4052809

@GordoDeCentral this post lol:

https://www.juventuz.com/threads/ch...-february-12-2013.37395/page-146#post-4052819

https://www.juventuz.com/threads/ch...-february-12-2013.37395/page-147#post-4052863

https://www.juventuz.com/threads/ch...-february-12-2013.37395/page-149#post-4052889

:lol:
How is it possible to be this deluded? Why is it that fans on the British isles in general have this weird way of behaving? You see it with Arsenal, United and Chelsea supporters as well. Them Brits often loves to trash talk anything football related who's not from over there.

Even better, Liverpool are leading the PL with 20+ points and then you have some PL muppets who got the audacity to say on twitter after Bayerns win yesterday that the BL yet again are boring and predicting because we moved 1 point clear from Leipzig :lol: You just can't make this shit up.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
I like Sarri’s idea in playing to win an actual fucking game, yet gets criticised. We’re breaking the mould after all that game of chess tactics we were accustomed to. Yes I thank the previous managers we’ve had. But I find having Sarri a breath of fresh air.
Meanwhile Conte and Allegri played to lose? Is that why Allegri has the highest win % in our history?

What exactly is breaking the mould? Where is the breath of fresh air coming from? From less goals scored? From more conceded? From less points? From less chances created with marginally higher possession? There's not a single thing Sarri improved upon so far.

(Unless you were sarcastic ofc)

he uses 4-3-1-2 because we have a couple of players that can play in AM position and our Right Wingers Costa and Bernadeschi are usually injured or totally out of form.
We have literally zero CAMs. Berna and Costa are wingers, Ramsey is a mezzala and Dybala's excuse for years for poor performances was that he was played out of position as a CAM under Allegri.

Tolath

Jun 3, 2018
We have literally zero CAMs. Berna and Costa are wingers, Ramsey is a mezzala and Dybala's excuse for years for poor performances was that he was played out of position as a CAM under Allegri.
I think Dybala can play as AM and Second striker and the out of position thing was regarding RW

so far Sarri didn't use him as Mezzala probably the main reason is fitness for that.

another reason probably for the 4-3-1-2 is to give Ronaldo a free role instead of having him on the LW

personally i don't like the 4-3-1-2 formation but i can see his reasons for using it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 254)