Let's be realistic (2 Viewers)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
These two post locate the problem and the realistic solution should be searched while having in mind what Dom and Jack said.

On the last two matches (which i finally downloaded and finally watched) we did seem slower on every ball and the problem is clearly in the midfield, not the defense. The midfield was doing half of the defensive job, which it doesn't anymore because they're slower on every ball.
In attack we also rely on the two wide midfielders, who for two reasons played every single match. (the first one is Ranieri's stubborness with Giovinco, the second is Camo's injury).
We obviously need new personel there, at least in the next few matches, unless we want Nedved, Marchionni, and even Sissoko, to drop dead on the pitch.

But there is something else i just realized.
Which serie A teams play pacey counter-attacking football, with fast and very good ball movement in midfield and attack? The kind of football that is our Achilles’ heel.
I'm looking at the serie A standings and i can see 3 or 4 such teams. Two of those are exactly the 2 teams we played on the last two matches.
So, could part of these "crisis" be the style of the teams we played against?
Why I said earlier that obviously the biggest blame falls in Ranieri is because he can see that this system is not working yet he doesn't do anything to change it. The blame falls on the players because this system worked with the exact same players, what would stop it from functioning anymore?
The blame falls on the physiotherapists because this system recquires energetic players and they are failing to keeping them fit game in game out.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
The current squad is abysmal, too many hasbeens or just simply mediocre players in it, your out of the league title race and will soon be out of the CL. The squad is in serious need of rejuvenating and heavy investment, even if that means selling buffon to bring in the finance to enable the club to finally sign mar-key players. No point in having the best GK in the world if you have a non existent midfield and defence. And bring in Rijkaard who plays offensive football.

Outs

Nedved - retire
Trezeguet
Poulsen
Molinaro
Melberg
Zebina
Tiago
Buffon

Ins

Ochoa
Zapata/Santacroce
Clichy
Essein
Xabi alonso
Ribery
Tevez
I say bring in:

C.Ronaldo
Vidic
Ribery
Messi
Xabi Alonso
Tevez
Gerrard
Mexes
Alves
Hamsik
Diego

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Yes, and the title of this thread could not be more clear.
To bring Ribery might be a solution to get out of the crisis. To fire Ranieri might be a solution.... but wait..... it's NOT REALISTIC!
We know we won't buy Ribery today and we know that Secco won't replace Ranieri unless we lose our next 5 matches.

That's why i'm begging some of you to stop spamming this thread.
Thank you.

eika

Aug 29, 2004
This 4-4-2 formation is rubbish. Let`s face it, most of the world class teams (except maybe ManUnited) are playing with one striker and 4-3-3 formation (or we can name it also 4-5-1 if you wan`t). Sissoko should be DMC who don`t support attack at all and this formation needs one good MC/AMC to Nedved position, like Diego.

-------------------Buffon
Grygera--Chiellini----Legrottaglie--Molinaro
-------------------Sissoko---------------------
----------Marchisio------Nedved--------------
Camoranesi--------------------Giovinco(/DP)
-------------------Amauri----------------------

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Im not being bitter. We were successful to a certain degree under Capello.
What I'm doing is being realistic. There is no chance in hell that we would ever be able to get Capello to leave his england job.

Youre getting all wet over something that wont happen in the foreseeable future.
and you're getting all wet with complacency like a true fan boy

keep your panties on and don't freak out if the coach wins but doesn't care about you or your star player.

and with morons like you supporting a club there is no wonder why he wouldn't want to return even if the opportunity presented itself

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
Also another problem is the offside trap. The other teams figured it out so let's backup a bit or watch better those crosses from the opposing side.
the offside trap is not the problem. the problem is, that the offside trap does not work with our current two defensive midfielders, because they are no defensive midfielders ...

if you would look at sissokos skills you would say that he is a defensive midfielder, but when you look where he plays then he really is no defensive midfielder. for that position he roams to often to the penalty box of the opponent ... marchisio is the same ... he does play a advanced role and does not restrict hisself to shielding our defense and that is exactly the problem.
it is not a problem per se, but a problem, if you want to play the offside trap.

i did have to train under a trainer that was so mad that he wanted as to play a 4-4-2 with an offside trap, and me as one of two midfielders had to chase down the opposing player in that training session.

they key to a working offside trap is, not giving the opponent who has the ball enough time to play a well timed pass. if he can chose when to play the ball it is more easy for him to pick the striker that does a run behind our defense.

so if we have two roaming "defensive" midfielders that do not put enough pressure on the opposing player with the ball, our offside trap will fail many more times.

but if he has two players chasing him down, he will have no choice but to try to evade them or play a simple pass back, because he has not the time to get a good pass for the forward ... here is exactly where we are lacking ... even if one of our DMs is back to pressure the player with a ball, he just plays a one-two and regains the ball with enough time to play a well timed ball behind our defense.

another factor is our high defensive line, to play that our defensive midfielders would have to close down the enemy much earlier, because everything is shifted to the opponents side, so it was theoretical possible for some defensive midfielder of the opponent to play a well timed ball that breaks our offside trap, if we do not put the under pressure very early ... but surely you can not put the opponent under pressure, when 5 players of us are in the penalty box of the opponent trying to score (just like last game)

this situations, where a dm gets the ball in his own half and beats the opposing offside trap, because they stand to high was exactly what zanetti did last season with such devastating effect

people like (vice)captain tsubasa here should have told you that, if they really had ever played tactical football...

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Душан;1885692 said:
4-3-3 would be better for us right now because our wingers are wankers.Sadly,on the other side,that would mean just bad news for Giovinco.

-------------Buffon

Grygera-Mellberg-Legro-Molinaro

----Sissoko-Tiago-Marchisio-

--Amauri-Trezeguet-Del Piero

it would be better than 4-4-2 that we play but even this one wouldn't shine because our full backs can't to the right job.
Its a pit risky one, but considering the problems we have with wingers, this is pretty much the best lineup to use.

Ranieri actually said himself that when Trez comes back, he will use trident.

So i am waiting.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
the offside trap is not the problem. the problem is, that the offside trap does not work with our current two defensive midfielders, because they are no defensive midfielders ...

if you would look at sissokos skills you would say that he is a defensive midfielder, but when you look where he plays then he really is no defensive midfielder. for that position he roams to often to the penalty box of the opponent ... marchisio is the same ... he does play a advanced role and does not restrict hisself to shielding our defense and that is exactly the problem.
it is not a problem per se, but a problem, if you want to play the offside trap.

i did have to train under a trainer that was so mad that he wanted as to play a 4-4-2 with an offside trap, and me as one of two midfielders had to chase down the opposing player in that training session.

they key to a working offside trap is, not giving the opponent who has the ball enough time to play a well timed pass. if he can chose when to play the ball it is more easy for him to pick the striker that does a run behind our defense.

so if we have two roaming "defensive" midfielders that do not put enough pressure on the opposing player with the ball, our offside trap will fail many more times.

but if he has two players chasing him down, he will have no choice but to try to evade them or play a simple pass back, because he has not the time to get a good pass for the forward ... here is exactly where we are lacking ... even if one of our DMs is back to pressure the player with a ball, he just plays a one-two and regains the ball with enough time to play a well timed ball behind our defense.

another factor is our high defensive line, to play that our defensive midfielders would have to close down the enemy much earlier, because everything is shifted to the opponents side, so it was theoretical possible for some defensive midfielder of the opponent to play a well timed ball that breaks our offside trap, if we do not put the under pressure very early ... but surely you can not put the opponent under pressure, when 5 players of us are in the penalty box of the opponent trying to score (just like last game)

this situations, where a dm gets the ball in his own half and beats the opposing offside trap, because they stand to high was exactly what zanetti did last season with such devastating effect

people like (vice)captain tsubasa here should have told you that, if they really had ever played tactical football...
so basically what you said is that our offside trap is the problem. :D

BillyG

Caribbean Ultra
Nov 25, 2006
Its a pit risky one, but considering the problems we have with wingers, this is pretty much the best lineup to use.

Ranieri actually said himself that when Trez comes back, he will use trident.

So i am waiting.
did he actually say that or did he say it was an option?

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
so basically what you said is that our offside trap is the problem. :D
no,
the offside trap in combination of defensive midfielders who do not pressure the opponent enough is the problem ...

with a different approach we could surely see our offside trap work in great effect (like earlier this season). the opponent did not figure out how to break the trap, no, we just stopped putting the pressure on them, like JCK already wrote
That's because all of a sudden our players stopped pressing and closing down spaces on the opponents. Against Udinese and Cagliari it struck me as a new habit they have adpoted, stand and watch the opponent pass the ball.

Before the winter break we took the same approach, counter-attack but we often pressed to re-gain the ball and close down spaces. We simply strangled the opponents. We only watch and weep nowadays.
if we let them enough time to chose the player they wanna play a vertical pass to, then no offside trap in the world can work

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
no,
the offside trap in combination of defensive midfielders who do not pressure the opponent enough is the problem ...

with a different approach we could surely see our offside trap work in great effect (like earlier this season). the opponent did not figure out how to break the trap, no, we just stopped putting the pressure on them, like JCK already wrote

if we let them enough time to chose the player they wanna play a vertical pass to, then no offside trap in the world can work
Of course, I said we stopped running at the opposition.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Душан;1885692 said:
-------------Buffon

Grygera-Mellberg-Legro-Molinaro

----Sissoko-Tiago-Marchisio-

--Amauri-Trezeguet-Del Piero
Our fullbacks would get owned even worse than they do now.

DudebuD

Jul 6, 2007
and you're getting all wet with complacency like a true fan boy

keep your panties on and don't freak out if the coach wins but doesn't care about you or your star player.

and with morons like you supporting a club there is no wonder why he wouldn't want to return even if the opportunity presented itself
Im all for his return but im not in fantasy land unlike most of the people around here.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Im all for his return but im not in fantasy land unlike most of the people around here.
all fans are in fantasyland to some degree but i think the main problem is that most of our fans don't know who to really blame for our relegation and its aftermath

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)