Is this the new Juve? (2 Viewers)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
The will power is very different from it has been in the last few seasons, it has to come down to the man running the show. The Count is young and energetic enough to ensure he's able to transmit the same DNA into his team. An older coach may have had to make up for that more tactically, perhaps. I feel like we're still short of quality in certain areas, glaringly almost. But the squad depth is better than it has been in the last couple of years. That's easy to see when you've got a bench that looks like Quag, Del Piero, Krasic, Storari, Elia, Pazienza etc. Irrespective of the result at the end of the season, we must build more wisely than in the past, with less chopping and changing and more focus on individual quality of those coming in. To answer the question, no I don't think the old Juve is back, coz that Juve, was built very differently but I feel like this could be the new equally successful Juve, with a little bit of continuity and common sense prevailing around Vinovo.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
What's reassuring for me is that we're guaranteed to no longer need the wholesale revolutionary changes that we've tried to make over the past few seasons. After making some very good purchases this past window, gone are the days in which we'd start the season with 6 new players in the starting line-up.

We've now got quite a solid foundation, and as baggio said, we can start to focus on improving specific areas, and I'm very much looking forward to the quality we bring in to strengthen those areas, especially if we can secure CL qualification.

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
Martin you glory hunter! :disagree:

:p

Seriously though,this team is the begining of the new juve for sure but it is not even close to the real dominant juventus of the early 2000's. We have been very lucky with the injuries this season and one man in particular,Pirlo, has been fit and healthy. At times he is the man carrying the whole system. Barza has been fit as well, considering his age. So the only one we are worried about is bonucci but we do need to make two CB buys (if bonucci is to be dumped). Marchisio should be given credit for improving his game drastically as well,but then again Pirlo and conte are a huge factors in marchisio flourishing.

This is definitely the begining of the return of the real Juve, and next year (and hopefully this winter) we will sign some more quality players to fill the gaps.

One problem i have with this team is all our goals were set peices or fine one-two touches or from just around the penalty spot...we still don't have a striker/killer who can creat a goal all on his own, someone who can shoot from outside the box with power and accuracy (unlike vucinic who always seems to aim for the keeper's chest or the side netting).

Just make 3 buys in Jan. We need a WORLD CLASS striker, a world class CB (and another one to cover for barza since grandpa is old as well) and a good LW.

Thank you Conte,this feels like Juventus again.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
What's reassuring for me is that we're guaranteed to no longer need the wholesale revolutionary changes that we've tried to make over the past few seasons. After making some very good purchases this past window, gone are the days in which we'd start the season with 6 new players in the starting line-up.

We've now got quite a solid foundation, and as baggio said, we can start to focus on improving specific areas, and I'm very much looking forward to the quality we bring in to strengthen those areas, especially if we can secure CL qualification.
Remember the last time this was the case?

Because I do: it's when we bought Diego & Melo.

So far, this current team reminds me of Ranieri's* (his first season to be precise) in everything but tactical approach: difficult to break down, grinta, great against the big teams but struggling against weaker opposition, hard work > fancy "quality", ...

If Marotta is sensible, there won't be any major changes in January. And there shouldn't be any either, except for some necessary outgoing transfers.

* That's a good thing.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
We're certainly getting there. We'll know exactly where we stand come May. One notion I really like is fighting back, like the Napoli game and I think there was another couple of games that were down and draw or won.

We still have to wait and see how the team reacts after it gets it's first loss or how Conte will deal with injuries (not jinxing the team its just reality). But I am really optimistic.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011

So far, this current team reminds me of Ranieri's* (his first season to be precise) in everything but playing style: difficult to break down, grinta, great against the big teams but struggling against weaker opposition, hard work > fancy "quality", ...

If Marotta is sensible, there won't be any major changes in January. And there shouldn't be any either, except for some necessary outgoing transfers.

* That's a good thing.
Fuck Secco!

Marotta >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SUCKO

gray

Apr 22, 2003

The Diego situation was different. He was only one player, but bringing him in involved changing up the whole team so that he was the centre of everything. We suddenly became hugely dependent on one man, and when he stopped delivering, everything went to hell the following season.

We sold Diego off, and our team was left in tatters, not because Diego was great, but because we were left without any established playing style or a player who could run the show and make things happen.

Unless we sell Pirlo next season and fail to find an adequate replacement, I can't see the team making a huge dip in quality over the coming seasons.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Didn't mean you were wrong or anything.

Just felt that it was necessary to point out that signing the finishing touch (whoever that may be, regardless of his position on the pitch) might prove very difficult.
Signing the wrong one could easily lead to a big dip in quality. It could even set you back a couple of seasons, as you pointed out.

We have a lot of reasons to be optimistic & I definitely am (though maybe not as much the majority), but I also was very optimistic during Ranieri's first 1,5 seasons...

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
WΏΏdy;3383487 said:
Martin you glory hunter! :disagree:

:p

Seriously though,this team is the begining of the new juve for sure but it is not even close to the real dominant juventus of the early 2000's. We have been very lucky with the injuries this season and one man in particular,Pirlo, has been fit and healthy. At times he is the man carrying the whole system. Barza has been fit as well, considering his age. So the only one we are worried about is bonucci but we do need to make two CB buys (if bonucci is to be dumped). Marchisio should be given credit for improving his game drastically as well,but then again Pirlo and conte are a huge factors in marchisio flourishing.

This is definitely the begining of the return of the real Juve, and next year (and hopefully this winter) we will sign some more quality players to fill the gaps.

One problem i have with this team is all our goals were set peices or fine one-two touches or from just around the penalty spot...we still don't have a striker/killer who can creat a goal all on his own, someone who can shoot from outside the box with power and accuracy (unlike vucinic who always seems to aim for the keeper's chest or the side netting).

Just make 3 buys in Jan. We need a WORLD CLASS striker, a world class CB (and another one to cover for barza since grandpa is old as well) and a good LW.

Thank you Conte,this feels like Juventus again.
Why does it bother you that our goals come from possession football and neat combinations ?

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Having said all that, I still remain CAUTIOUSLY optimistic. We have been kicked in teeth too many times the past few years after starting off our seasons promisingly. If we successfully manage the first 4-6 rounds after the winter break, then yeah I'll say we have definitely turned the corner.
Sincerely, this.

We need to see how we are on the table after the first months of 2012.

Im very optimistic too because, lets be real....the juve of the past 3 seasons would have been hammered like 5-1 in this last game against Napoli. This time Conte is making sure that if someone is not delivering, he will receive a kick in the balls. Players not only respect/fear him to some degree, but there are also skilled young players who are trophy- hungry (marchisio,vidal,matri) and that also counts.

We had good luck in signing barza and Lichsteiner whioch have been superb...and even the average joe Pepe is playing with great conviction and making sure that the other midfielders can do their work.

What will decide our season IMO:

-How we react to a pirlo injury, or a (godforbid) injury streak of players
-How we react to a defeat after the break
-How we fare in the transfer market

Untill i see this points adressed.... ill not build up false hopes... because the last 2 seasons have been hearthbreakers for me.

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
It boils down to this. How much of our success this season has been due to enthusiasm vs. actual talent? We obviously have more of both this season. Much of the enthusiasm dies down with fatigue. Talent sticks throughout the season and often compensates for the dip in form. Some of our most consistant players aren't really talented (Pepe, Lichtsteiner and maybe Vidal (not sure, need to see more of him)).

Do you guy think we can keep our current tempo for the second part of the season? Will talent compensate for our eventual dip in form?

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
So far i's the old Juve, pre-calciopoli. Hungry and dominant.

I agree with paid-off-ref's assessment of tempo vs talent. Milan are far superior in attacking talent. Or most talented attackers are Vucinic and DP. Vucnic is inconsistent and DP rarely plays. We need a talented player who has vision and can beat players 1 on 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)