General News & Politics (20 Viewers)

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Imo there's no way a majority of people will want to suffer & pay more now to send some geopolitical message. So those democratic values are already out the window.

And to your point, a world as it is now is a scary place but it's more to do with a deluded and corrupt political class than the habits of regular people.
Then we will deserve all the shit coming to us in the long term and we are about to find out in the next few months.

Depends where, US and Europe are good places to live and start a family. Education and healthcare in Europe is mostly free, there are plenty of jobs, in fact employers are struggling to find workers in recent years and if you are not afraid of work you can can live well enough compared to most of other places. It's not perfect, corruption will always be present more or less but the press is free, you can choose your 'poison' from right to left and I am not afraid that I would end up in jail, kicked out of house or killed if I speak up, go to a rally and criticize rulling party. I cant see myself migrating to China or Russia tbh.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
Then we will deserve all the shit coming to us in the long term and we are about to find out in the next few months.

Depends where, US and Europe are good places to live and start a family. Education and healthcare in Europe is mostly free, there are plenty of jobs, in fact employers are struggling to find workers in recent years and if you are not afraid of work you can can live well enough compared to most of other places. It's not perfect, corruption will always be present more or less but the press is free, you can choose your 'poison' from right to left and I am not afraid that I would end up in jail, kicked out of house or killed if I speak up, go to a rally and criticize rulling party. I cant see myself migrating to China or Russia tbh.
Education and healthcare aren't paid with taxes in Europe?

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Education and healthcare aren't paid with taxes in Europe?
It is 'free' in a way, if you are 18 yo kid aspiring for higher level of education you can pursue your academic career for free or mostly free. But yes, it comes from taxes. However, it is not a big % considering the gains like having acces to free healthcare. I roughly pay 10% in taxes out of my gross.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

Sorry i don't buy this whole green movement scam. And i will never trust some self anointed prophets to map out policies that affect billions. Of course i rather be in US and europe, but that's not the point. The point is we have become at the mercy of bureaucrats who are easily swayed by their ego and foreign/private interests.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Sorry i don't buy this whole green movement scam. And i will never trust some self anointed prophets to map out policies that affect billions. Of course i rather be in US and europe, but that's not the point. The point is we have become at the mercy of bureaucrats who are easily swayed by their ego and foreign/private interests.
Fundamentally I think the problem with the “green movement scam”, as you note, is that there are real harms happening in the world but cause-and-effect certainty is a fairy tale. People still want that with laws, with society, with governance.

And when we talk about political polarization of voters, it often comes down to agreed upon ends but disagreed means. It’s most often disagreements of causality.

That’s all fine and good. But there are some cases where waiting for absolute certainty requires you to reach a point of no return. There has to be room to experiment, to learn, and to even be wrong sometimes. The political climate won’t allow that, so we’ve kind of forked ourselves as a society. Because laissez-faire can be a recipe for destruction, whether it’s growth economics incentives or America’s southern border. And nobody has the tolerance to take action with the smallest chance of getting something wrong.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Fundamentally I think the problem with the “green movement scam”, as you note, is that there are real harms happening in the world but cause-and-effect certainty is a fairy tale. People still want that with laws, with society, with governance.

And when we talk about political polarization of voters, it often comes down to agreed upon ends but disagreed means. It’s most often disagreements of causality.

That’s all fine and good. But there are some cases where waiting for absolute certainty requires you to reach a point of no return. There has to be room to experiment, to learn, and to even be wrong sometimes. The political climate won’t allow that, so we’ve kind of forked ourselves as a society. Because laissez-faire can be a recipe for destruction, whether it’s growth economics incentives or America’s southern border. And nobody has the tolerance to take action with the smallest chance of getting something wrong.
I am all for taking a chance on experimenting and getting something done with the important caveat that if you are a decision maker and you turn out to be wrong then you shall face concequences as severe as those your decision would cause.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
The problem with this line of thinking is that it implies we should bend over to authoritarian regimes of China or Russia and accept their blackmails. Id rather in the short term pay the price and cut out the unnecessary spending if their influence will vain in the long term. People on the west, myself included, have been living above their means for decades. Do we need to buy new phones, laptops every year, change cars every 3-4 years? Yes, the food prices have increased, the poor one will be hit harder but the price would be far higher if we sacrifice democratic values and let countries like Russia and China set the rules.
Sadly, most people in the West still dont realize what is actually at stake here.

- - - Updated - - -

Whatever you guys have is not perfect, but it is waaaay better than whetever the fuck Russia & China is offering ("offering" lol, more like pushing down the throats).

Stay strong! Do not give in to them no matter what!

Last edited:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I am all for taking a chance on experimenting and getting something done with the important caveat that if you are a decision maker and you turn out to be wrong then you shall face concequences as severe as those your decision would cause.
I think we need to break away from this notion of unilateral hierarchical decision-making. This is going to make a lot of people uncomfortable, because it makes accountability that much tougher. But the real way you need to address a complex challenge like a Covid pandemic is going to have to be a mix of child psychologists, epidemiologists, economists, virologists, human behavioralists, etc. Empower any one of those interest groups with the decision and you're asking for complete failure,

Some political mediator should be on the hook for the end decision and to navigate conflicts, definitely. But these these are too big for any single interest group or specialization to dominate policy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)