Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (32 Viewers)

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Vaccines don't all work in such a way. Even the flu vaccine cannot stop the spread to another person totally, and it's only 60% effective in a good year. From the CDC's page:

The main role of these vaccinations is to severely reduce symptoms to reduce need for treatment and deaths, not particularly to stop "contraction" or transmission. If you get symptoms like a cold or mild flu then obviously no one cares about that. But because they reduce the viral load in someone infected that helps to prevent the spread.

Population density is very high in NJ, is it not? There is no linear way of dealing with the virus that suits every state or country, they all have to work out what is best for them.
The problem with NJ is the people that live there, no disrespect to the New Jerseyans on this forum, just stating facts.

Buy on AliExpress.com

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I had a coffee with girls I worked with not so long. Her kid (he's like...4th grade...I think) is in the class with a buddy who's dad died because of corona. He's 39 year old and he literally died in 2-3 days after getting it. He took Pfizer, though. Both shots. Death happened like week after.

And no, I'm not suggesting he died because of the vaccine. But he did die.
Did he have health issues? Obesity, smoker etc.?

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
I personally don't feel like taking it.
The problem is that if enough/too many people feel the same way, then this is it. Life as you knew it is over & you'll be going from lockdown to lockdown.

If it was up to me, it would be very simple:
- You get vaccinated & still end up getting (very) sick: that obviously sucks & you should get the best possible treatment.
- You refuse to get vaccinated for whatever dumb reason and you get sick: no treatment for you buddy, suck it up. If you get better, great. If you don't, great as well. You can suffocate at home on your couch for all I care, but absolutely no access to the hospital for you.

That way, everyone can really make their own decision without repercussions in their day to day life. No "you are not allowed to do x if you are not vaccinated" bullshit.
But that would mean people have to accept the consequences of their decision. And people in general really aren't good at that. So it'll never happen.

(This obviously does not apply to people who are not able to get the vaccine because of a medical condition, or because there are not enough vaccines, etc)

Last edited:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
That's exactly what I said just recently. I'd be perfectly fine with that and I think that's a good solution.

But life as we know it might already be finished since getting vaccines still means restriction, masks, distance, etc. We'll see Israel.

Btw, I also think "get vaccine once per year" is not going to work. If this year 60% of the population took it, I'd bet next year it's going to be much less.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
The problem is that if enough/too many people feel the same way, then this is it. Life as you knew it is over & you'll be going from lockdown to lockdown.

- You get vaccinated & still end up getting (very) sick: that obviously sucks & you should get the best possible treatment.
- You refuse to get vaccinated for whatever dumb reason and you get sick: no treatment for you buddy, suck it up.
Do you have a organ doner card?

Cause if you don't, you shouldn't receive any kind of transplants should you become dead sick.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
That's exactly what I said just recently. I'd be perfectly fine with that and I think that's a good solution.

But life as we know it might already be finished since getting vaccines still means restriction, masks, distance, etc. We'll see Israel.

Btw, I also think "get vaccine once per year" is not going to work. If this year 60% of the population took it, I'd bet next year it's going to be much less.
Governments are still advising vaccinated people to distance and wear masks because they're still a minority of the population. It doesn't send a good message to unvaccinated people. It could discourage mask use and distancing at this stage (low vaccination rate), and it would make people uncomfortable being in a closed space with someone seemingly unprotected.

But things will change for sure. Just take a look at the CDC's guidance for fully vaccinated people:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

They're telling you you can gather with other fully vaccinated folks and unvaccinated people at a low risk for severe Covid indoors without masks.

And if you look at what fully vaccinated people should continue to do:

For now, fully vaccinated people should continue to:
  • Take precautions in public like wearing a well-fitted mask and physical distancing
  • Wear masks, practice physical distancing, and adhere to other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people who are at increased risk for severe COVID-19 disease or who have an unvaccinated household member who is at increased risk for severe COVID-19 disease
  • Wear masks, maintain physical distance, and practice other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people from multiple households
  • Avoid medium- and large-sized in-person gatherings
  • Get tested if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms Follow guidance issued by individual employers Follow CDC and health department travel requirements and recommendations

You can realize that all of those restrictions will disappear once everyone's fully vaccinated.

Right now we are still trying to protect the collective but all of that will change when the collective is no longer at risk. Non vaccinated people will become the minority and they'll have to abide by our rules.

Last edited:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

Cause if you don't, you shouldn't receive any kind of transplants should you become dead sick.

You are healthy and want to take your chances and live your life? Callous! You want to kill my granny, stop being selfish, it's not just about you.

You think everyone should get the vaccine and if they don't let them die like dogs if they get sick? Not callous! you paragon of virtue you, you champion of personal responsibility.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009

Do you think I'm a retard? Because your comparison sure does make it sound so.

But please, do tell me where I could get a vaccine that prevents me from becoming dead sick? A vaccine for all sicknesses, please. That would be very helpful.

"NO, I don't trust/want the vaccine! Medicine & science can suck a fat one. Personal freedom, bitch!!!"
=>
Gets fairly sick because of COVID.
=>
"Why is this happening to me? Please, you must do everything to save me, doctor!"

Strickland

May 17, 2019

- You refuse to get vaccinated for whatever dumb reason and you get sick: no treatment for you buddy, suck it up. If you get better, great. If you don't, great as well. You can suffocate at home on your couch for all I care, but absolutely no access to the hospital for you.

That way, everyone can really make their own decision without repercussions in their day to day life. No "you are not allowed to do x if you are not vaccinated" bullshit.
But that would mean people have to accept the consequences of their decision. And people in general really aren't good at that. So it'll never happen.

(This obviously does not apply to people who are not able to get the vaccine because of a medical condition, or because there are not enough vaccines, etc)
As interesting as it would be from a social experiment pov, the not vaccinated scenario goes against basic human decency, hippocratic oath and general moral standards in western modern societies (probably most societies), its basically going back to old testament law.

Life as we know it is probably fucked for the foreseeable future, but I think we will be able to find a better balance than right now and in time accept that we as a society need to take more risks with Covid.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Idk what you want, following your logic, you should be fine with what I said. Taking responsibility for your own decisions and all.
I see. As is often the case, the people who are most vocal "personal accountability" really do want the complete opposite when it comes down to it. No surprises there.

As interesting as it would be from a social experiment pov, the not vaccinated scenario goes against basic human decency, hippocratic oath and general moral standards in western modern societies (probably most societies), its basically going back to old testament law.

Life as we know it is probably fucked for the foreseeable future, but I think we will be able to find a better balance than right now and in time accept that we as a society need to take more risks with Covid.
Of course. :tup:

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
What do you want now. Didn't you first say it's how you'd do it? Now you agree with it being against basic human decency, hippocratic oath and general moral standards in western modern societies.

Can you make up your mind?
So it'll never happen.
Please explain how me saying what I would do, while adding that that is not going to happen (obviously!!!!) equals me needing to make up my mind.
I honestly don't understand it. I really, really don't.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
I think it also goes back to what @swag (I think) has said a few times now, that people are not interested in prevention of anything, especially if it requires a bit of work or discomfort. They only want an easy cure where they won't have to take any action.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 23)