What's missing... ?? (5 Viewers)

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Regarding creative players, I agree. Or at least players that will provide more of an unpredictable side in attack. It seems like a few others agree with that too, which I'm glad to see, because Bayern demonstrated quite effectively what a top attacking set up looks like. For example, the attacking play where Robben laid the ball off for Ribéry to send in a dangerous cross after just 8 minutes was quite simple and opened up a great chance, Juve's width didn't really create anything in comparison? The best cross for Juve was from Pogba.

I think last season we saw a better attacking Juve, mostly because of Pepe providing an extra dimension, which led us to believe that a goalscorer was needed much more than anything else (which is still quite true). I've really started seeing thatthe team needs more attacking types of players this year. There isn't really an inventive player outside of Pirlo (and Mirko at times), all the attacking moves seem so rigid like they're practicing them over and over as a training exercise, collecting the ball back to goal and trying to flick it on to someone else to the side. Credit to Mirko for fighting against that pattern and moving the ball in different ways. Just the previous night I saw Isco, Götze and Reus all battling it out and I think they're exactly the type of player Juve is lacking.

Regarding the wingbacks, Lichtsteiner obviously adds a lot more than Isla/Padoin at this point, there's not really an issue with him. Asamoah and Peluso both struggled to do anything offensively. Maybe it's time to look for an alternative to this problem in the ability to switch formation more easily? Even when Pepe is injured.

So far I think this is the only new thread that has popped up, and it was intended to discuss what would take Juve to the next step in it's development after seeing it against a top tier club in world football for the first time.
The bolded part. That's this team in a nutshell. Both it's strength and weakness. We have a clear approach and everyone knows what to do and it's the best way to get consistent play as well as results. Yet when an opponent manages to disrupt it, we lack in ideas. And to my dissapointment Marchisio failed against Bayern where I thought he would able to come up with different ideas other than Pirlo and Vucinic. For the same reason we probably cant do without Pirlo for a while to come.

Buy on AliExpress.com

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
Sums it up, as I said before the game, I wished we had something, that Bayern couldn't react to, but we didn't have that, so adding new parts to our game and getting variability is a goal for the future, I guess.

Marchisio.....don't kill him here guys, sure he didn't show up, but in the first game, I thought Conte's tactics didn't suit him, while in the second game, I thought that Pogba was better, because the game-plan was, to get him more involved as "the second" Pirlo. So I still give him a shot. He hasn't reached his prime yet. You can compare him to Schweinsteiger, who is at his prime right now and is having a great season, while being questioned in the past (specially in big games)

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Patience, and I don't mean Pazienza :D

In all honesty, we need a more flexible approach, an alternative plan/a valid Plan B, and quality in attack.

There is no shame in losing to Bayern (losing finalists in 2010 and last year; hence, a very solid and experiences team). It is the manner of the loss which leaves me disheartened and terribly disappointed.

OP
Cheesio

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
  • Thread Starter #105
    Like i said before, no big team in Europe plays with 3 at the back, no recent european champ played this setup.

Also something i noticed last year when we playe the 4-3-3 we dominated every "big" matchup we had in Serie A.
    Lazio away, Inter away, Milan home and in the second half of the away game, something we couldn't do with 3-5-2 as far as i recall.

adRHCP

Nov 7, 2012
    are there any players who could play on allmost every position? (like LM LW LB or something like that?) having some of those could solve our formation problem
    Bale, Marcelo, Alaba... Marcelo just signed a new contract but Coentrao it's playing ahead of him right now, but after Mou's departure who knows

Sums it up, as I said before the game, I wished we had something, that Bayern couldn't react to, but we didn't have that, so adding new parts to our game and getting variability is a goal for the future, I guess.

Marchisio.....don't kill him here guys, sure he didn't show up, but in the first game, I thought Conte's tactics didn't suit him, while in the second game, I thought that Pogba was better, because the game-plan was, to get him more involved as "the second" Pirlo. So I still give him a shot. He hasn't reached his prime yet. You can compare him to Schweinsteiger, who is at his prime right now and is having a great season, while being questioned in the past (specially in big games)
    The problem is that Schweinsteiger is 28, just a year more than Marchisio :sigh:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe we should give a shot to the 4-3-1-2? We must sign an attacking midfielder like someone who can also play as a SS, any ideas? Besides the obvious (Götze, Isco), I was thinking about Hernanes so he could also play as a deep-lying playmaker and a SS. Also maybe a new LB who could offend. And all this added to the top SS...

Inglip

Jul 29, 2011
    Like i said before, no big team in Europe plays with 3 at the back, no recent european champ played this setup.

Also something i noticed last year when we playe the 4-3-3 we dominated every "big" matchup we had in Serie A.
    Lazio away, Inter away, Milan home and in the second half of the away game, something we couldn't do with 3-5-2 as far as i recall.
    You cant dominate with 3 CB and two WB

adRHCP

Nov 7, 2012
    Buffon/Storari

Lichtsteiner/Cáceres-Barzagli/Bonucci-Chiellini/Cáceres-New Offensive LB/Peluso/Chiellini

Vidal/Pogba-Pirlo/new deep-lying playmaker/Marrone-Marchisio/Asamoah

New attacking midflielder/Giovinco?

Llorente/Quagliarella-New WC SS/Vucinic​

Maybe? This way we don't have to buy a bunch of wingers.
    Also, if we add Hernanes, we wouldn't have to buy a new deep-lying playmaker, 'cause he could also play that position. And, if necessary, could play SS at times.

Lion

King of Tuz
    Jan 24, 2007
    i speak on behalf of everyone when i say the missing elemnt is david villa.

you may not know it yet but at the end of this post you will.

enzo

May 14, 2012
    Unlike most here I don't think it's solely a matter of our formation. As many pointed out already, it's a lack of creativity and overview, partly of our midfielders, but especially of our attackers. However, the biggest reason in my opinion is lacking experience. It's our first year back and it's not like football hasn't evolved.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
    If we are really going for attacking midfielder wizard type of guy to mix things up a little like most here are suggesting, I truly hope it doesn't turn into another "let's build the team around Diego" season. We have a very good, winning team, we gotta build around it not change it drastically by putting an exciting signing in the center of everything. Hopefully next season Pepe is back (or we bring in another duracell guy), Pogba has the breakthrough season and we add some smart players with vision and ideas.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    the 3-5-2 is good whent things are going our way... but when not,..we get exposed so easily, is not even funny.

Our lack of quality wing backs makes us play this formation at a 60% of its potential.

Paul Poker

Apr 7, 2013
    I hear alot of people overreacting after we crashed out of the CL (or even after the first leg vs Bayern). People, the Conte project has been in action for less than two years and it looks like we're about to win our second consecutive scudetto. That is more than we could've hoped for in such a short time.

OP says that the relative ease of Serie A has provided us with a skewed perspective of our abilities, but I think it's our ambition that is out of touch. The project that was started two years ago is still very much a work in progress. You might argue that X needs to work on Y, but be assured that they are constantly working on improving themselves in each and every aspect. Otherwise the prospect of competing for a second scudetto while also competing in the CL would not have been possible.

Don't get me wrong. I was just as disheartened after last night's defeat as the best of you, but if supporting this great club for more than two decades has taught me anything it's that YES we will come back and YES we will come back stronger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)