[WC] Italia vs USA [17-06-2006] (3 Viewers)

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
edpiero said:
Bahh, I couldnt watch it. Was the match any good Elvin ? I heard Tunisia scored in the last minute or something.
The second half was very nice. The two saudi goals were nice too, especially the first one. What a great finish (hint hint... Zlatan :D )

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
giovanotti said:
I don't think Zac had a bad game against Ghana,but anyhow Oddo could be at the team too,instead of him.
He wasn't that bad nor good, he was the weakes IMO If you compare him to the rest, Oddo seemed to be working well, and not to forget that he's much solid in the back.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Azzurri7 said:
He wasn't that bad nor good, he was the weakes IMO If you compare him to the rest, Oddo seemed to be working well, and not to forget that he's much solid in the back.

ye but when you consider that zambo or grosso will play on the left flank, zaccardo is probably better defensively wheras oddo is great on the attack and his passing especially, and lippi doesnt want a brazilian style 2 attacking full backs. some sections of the media still call for panucci ahead of zaccardo :disagree:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Stuart said:
I would play:

Buffon
Oddo - Nesta - Cannavaro - Zambrotta
Perrotta - Pirlo - De Rossi
Totti
Toni - Iaquinta
Okay, now my opinion on how my side should look if we want any chance of getting a result against Italy. It would be stupid to play a straight 4-4-2 like Ghana or use the same formation we fielded against the Czechs, so we have to take drastic measures here.

Keller

Onyewu - Berhalter - Bocanegra

Mastroeni

Reyna - O'Brien

Dempsey

Donovan - Johnson - Convey

The key to this setup is that we have Mastroeni essentially following Totti wherever he goes and Dempsey trying to do anything he can to shut down Pirlo. Dempsey is a great competitor and I believe he could cause Pirlo problems if he fucks with him...we must find a way to shut down Pirlo and Totti through the center if we want to win this game. So Dempsey will be a pain in Pirlo's arse and hopefully throw him off his game, Mastroeni will do the same with Totti, and Reyna and O'Brien will be supporting those two in the defensive quest. We gave the Czechs too much space in midfield and Italy will punish us again if we let them have a free for all like Rosicky the other day. So we will clog up the midfield as much as we can.

Bobby Convey will have the left flank all to himself and must be sure to back track to cover Oddo or Zaccardo if they get up the pitch; I'm hoping Convey's presence will make them stay at home. Donovan will try to keep Grosso or Zambrotta at home as well and also hit hard on the counter and come back to pick them up. Onyewu will be given the duty of man marking Toni and trying to shut him down just like he did against Borghetti in the qualifiers.

We simply cannot let Italy find their ryhthm and have them dictate their own match like the Czechs did against us. We must clog the midfield and make sure Totti and Pirlo get fucked up to throw them off their game, and we must find a way to hit them hard on the counter and strike down the wings where Donovan and Convey will work their magic. We have to play quick and just run Italy off the pitch if we have any chance of winning this game.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
italy wud so get u on the counter attack with that formation. problem withe the american side is that they dont like to think on pitch, so player rotations during the game will catch usa out, like the czechs did, and ghana certainly will with appiah who played in like 6 positions against italy.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Badass Devil said:
italy wud so get u on the counter attack with that formation.
Well we were caught out against the Czechs playing a 4-2-3-1 where Poborsky hit us hard down the right and Rosicky had his way with us through the middle. That is why we have to clog the midfield against Italy and that is why I decided on this formation. It's very similar to how Hiddink was able to shut down Milan with PSV this past season.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
u know wot reli impressed me about italy? was that fast coutner attack, fast, and full of ideas, it was like a breath of fresh air to their new approach of play, they wud suck ghana in and in, then get the ball the all run in a spread line, and pass it like a rugby counter attack but forwards. but also lippi's approach to the game how aafter 1-0 he still persisted in attacking with the introduction of dp,iaquinta, and camo, wheras he cud of easily just stuck on barone

Juve_25

Jan 3, 2006
Azzurri7 said:
I heard that Lippi put Zaccardo instead of Oddo because, Oddo is much more an attacker than a defender :confused:

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
Badass Devil said:
ye but when you consider that zambo or grosso will play on the left flank, zaccardo is probably better defensively wheras oddo is great on the attack and his passing especially, and lippi doesnt want a brazilian style 2 attacking full backs. some sections of the media still call for panucci ahead of zaccardo :disagree:
If it was Capello,he would definitely call Panucci...:D

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
Azzurri7 said:
I would definitely try Oddo,but we will see the final formation.Who knows what will Lippi prepare for this opponent.:)

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
Andy said:
Well we were caught out against the Czechs playing a 4-2-3-1 where Poborsky hit us hard down the right and Rosicky had his way with us through the middle. That is why we have to clog the midfield against Italy and that is why I decided on this formation. It's very similar to how Hiddink was able to shut down Milan with PSV this past season.

hey they got nothing to lose and i expect a team wanting to win. ill be shocked if i see the same u.s team as when they played the czech's. it will be close but hopefully italy will come out on top.

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
Morra10 said:
hey they got nothing to lose and i expect a team wanting to win. ill be shocked if i see the same u.s team as when they played the czech's. it will be close but hopefully italy will come out on top.
The czech's will have the same problem against Ghana...thank God we have an easier opponent.
But anyhow if they win their match we will be under presure,because they would have a better goal difference,in that case.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
giovanotti said:
The czech's will have the same problem against Ghana...thank God we have an easier opponent.
But anyhow if they win their match we will be under presure,because they would have a better goal difference,in that case.

ya with their 3-0 win over the u.s.a they almost locked up first if we tie them.......so i think it will all come down to beating the czech's and not tieing them unless they tie ghana :D

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
Morra10 said:
ya with their 3-0 win over the u.s.a they almost locked up first if we tie them.......so i think it will all come down to beating the czech's and not tieing them unless they tie ghana :D
...or another scenario,Luca Toni to kick some USA arses.:D

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
giovanotti said:
...or another scenario,Luca Toni to kick some USA arses.:D
hey another 2-0 score line would be great......but i really think the czech's will have their hands full, all ghana need to do is hit the net.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Im the only one who dont think that Italy will trash USA or what?.

Come on guys.....US played like crap but they need to show a lot int this game... is do or die.......the will go out and give evreything for sure!!.

I see Italy winning but with lot of hard work!!! Hope to see del piero scoring!

BFC82

Oct 24, 2003
USA has a point to prove, and who better to do with it than a perennial European super power. This was a wake up call, anything other than a win here and the US will be calling it in early. I honestly cannot see US beating Italy, but we can hope for a draw and then beating Ghana.

Either way, we still have a chance. Like Arena said, dont let the Czech's beat you twice. Put it behind you, move on and take it to Italy.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
Hydde said:
Im the only one who dont think that Italy will trash USA or what?.

Come on guys.....US played like crap but they need to show a lot int this game... is do or die.......the will go out and give evreything for sure!!.

I see Italy winning but with lot of hard work!!! Hope to see del piero scoring!

i said it will be close and i dont think italy will trash the u.s.a

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)