[WC] Italia vs USA [17-06-2006] (13 Viewers)

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
edpiero said:
Lippi experiments with Pippo

Pippo Inzaghi could start in a trident attack with Alberto Gilardino against the USA, but Marcello Lippi warns not to underestimate their opponents.

“We have to play with the same determination and character that we showed with Ghana,” said the Coach ahead of Saturday’s crunch match.

After their 3-0 defeat to the Czech Republic, the Americans must get a result or face an early exit from Group E.

Italy need the full points and as many goals as possible to challenge for the top qualifying spot – therefore avoiding Brazil in the second round.

“It would be a terrible mistake to underestimate the Americans,” continued Lippi. “It’s important to get a result here, not focus on how many goals we score. This isn’t going to be a walk in the park.”

Lippi confirmed that Gianluca Zambrotta is back to full fitness and available for selection after he recovered from a thigh strain that had forced him out of the 2-0 opening victory.

He experimented with a new line-up in training this afternoon, introducing Inzaghi for Luca Toni, supported by Francesco Totti and Milan teammate Alberto Gilardino.

That squad also included Cristian Zaccardo, Alessandro Nesta, Marco Materazzi and Zambrotta in defence with the same midfield of Simone Perrotta, Andrea Pirlo and Daniele De Rossi that proved so effective against Ghana.

The other team played a 4-3-3 system, one used several times during Lippi’s reign, that had Massimo Oddo, Andrea Barzagli, Fabio Cannavaro and Fabio Grosso at the back. Mauro Camoranesi, Simone Barone and the recovered Gennaro Gattuso – who is back in action sooner than expected from a thigh strain – supported the trident of Toni, Vincenzo Iaquinta and Alessandro Del Piero.

channel4.com

:faq2: Alex, where are you ?
Ohoooo,so will get a penalty kick or 2 tomorrow,than.:D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'm telling you:

one team has a trident made up of Toni, Del Piero and Iaquinta.
Both Toni and Iaquinta deserve to start.

the other one has a trident made up of Gilardino, Inzaghi and Totti.
Inzaghi and Gilardino who are obviously not in contention for a first team sheet.

Which "football conaisseur" then draws the conclusion Inzaghi might be up for a start?

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
Seven said:
I'm telling you:

one team has a trident made up of Toni, Del Piero and Iaquinta.
Both Toni and Iaquinta deserve to start.

the other one has a trident made up of Gilardino, Inzaghi and Totti.
Inzaghi and Gilardino who are obviously not in contention for a first team sheet.

Which "football conaisseur" then draws the conclusion Inzaghi might be up for a start?
That's what Im saying, Inzaghi wont get a starting line-up but I have a feeling tomorow it will be Del Piero-Toni-Iaquinta like you said.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Stephan said:
yes but there are many other players who are also part of it and that makes it a team.
Yes and a football game lasts 90 minutes.

Make no mistake, I can come up with another cliché for every cliché you post.

juve2503

May 18, 2006
This is the line up I would use

----------------------------Buffon---------------------------

Oddo/Zambrotta---Nesta---Canna---Grosso/Zambrotta

------------Perrotta--------Pirlo---------De Rossi---------

-------------------------Totti/Del Piero---------------------

--------------------Gilardino---------Toni------------------

I'd still go for gila he linked up well with Toni against Ghana sure it wasn't his best game but still I would choose him over Pippo or Iaquinta. The only thing that dissappointed me about Gila was his one-on-one miss. The reason I would go for Gila instead of Pippo is because let's face it pippo is a huge risk to put on that field since he is a certified diver and Iaquinta only scored that goal because of a horrible mistake by the defender and people are trying to make him seem like the new Baggio or Rossi when in fact he really isn't anything special. He didn't impress me much during the short time he was allowed to play, he made ametuer mistakes, the one that I can think of right now is while Italy were on a fast counter-attack, he knew that he would be clean through but instead ran offside before the ball was played when he knew he should have stayed in line with the defence. The tv commentator made me laugh when he said something about that run (he mentioned Ibra that's why I laughed)

I would love to see Del piero play at least for an entire half of the game even if he isn't a starter, I still believe that the Gila-DP-Toni front line is the one that could take us far in this tournament (remember germany) I just wish that del piero would get his act together if he would have stayed in form he would have challenged Totti all the way through for his spot on the starting line up.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
juve2503 said:
This is the line up I would use

----------------------------Buffon---------------------------

Oddo/Zambrotta---Nesta---Canna---Grosso/Zambrotta

------------Perrotta--------Pirlo---------De Rossi---------

-------------------------Totti/Del Piero---------------------

--------------------Gilardino---------Toni------------------

I'd still go for gila he linked up well with Toni against Ghana sure it wasn't his best game but still I would choose him over Pippo or Iaquinta. The only thing that dissappointed me about Gila was his one-on-one miss. The reason I would go for Gila instead of Pippo is because let's face it pippo is a huge risk to put on that field since he is a certified diver and Iaquinta only scored that goal because of a horrible mistake by the defender and people are trying to make him seem like the new Baggio or Rossi when in fact he really isn't anything special. He didn't impress me much during the short time he was allowed to play, he made ametuer mistakes, the one that I can think of right now is while Italy were on a fast counter-attack, he knew that he would be clean through but instead ran offside before the ball was played when he knew he should have stayed in line with the defence. The tv commentator made me laugh when he said something about that run (he mentioned Ibra that's why I laughed)

I would love to see Del piero play at least for an entire half of the game even if he isn't a starter, I still believe that the Gila-DP-Toni front line is the one that could take us far in this tournament (remember germany) I just wish that del piero would get his act together if he would have stayed in form he would have challenged Totti all the way through for his spot on the starting line up.

na totti is playing no matter what.......in my opinion it is between del piero or gilla or iaquinta to start and i would bring in cammo instead of perrota but whatever works....

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Tariq said:
There are a few reasons why I registered in this Forum: #1 is becuase I'm a Juve Fan. #2 is to be able to meet and talk to other people who are Juve Fans and read their ideas about the club and football in general and share my ideas with them. #3 is to make friends from all over the world.

I don't want to make enemies or pick fights or talk about politics on this Forum, and FYI I hold an American Passport, I'm married to an American and I have family and friends in the US.

I could reply to all the other comments but it would be silly to do that so I'm just gonna leave it at this.

FORZA JUVE....FORZA AZZURRI :)

Well said.

Welcome to the forums and make sure you Enjoy your stay:)

:pint:

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Stephan said:
azzurri is not only alex ;)

So far, I didn't read anyone saying Azzurri is Alex, but sure we do have the right to say that Alex is bigger than Pippo or Gila. I believe Dp/Iaquinta alongside Toni would be perfect IMO.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Azzurri7 said:
So far, I didn't read anyone saying Azzurri is Alex, but sure we do have the right to say that Alex is bigger than Pippo or Gila. I believe Dp/Iaquinta alongside Toni would be perfect IMO.
oh boy, some of you really dont get it. what i mean is that we shouldnt worry or talk just about if and how many minutes del piero will play. The result is more important! than who plays. ofcourse its nice if dp plays and scores but thats not the most important thing.

*ofcourse for some it is :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)