US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (3 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
i'm not sure if you are dissenting with me but all I'm saying is that if I say "No, you or anyone else is not entitled to your respective beliefs, etc.." whether or not I agree/disagree with those beliefs I would be battered with hateful responses and insults from the brilliant members on this forum. I never said I agreed/disagreed with your example, I never said it was wrong or rite (obviously we know the politically correct thing to do). But at the end of the day if I approach you and tell you that what you believe in is invalid and disallowed then I think there would be a problem.
It's what the law does every single day.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Do you act against everything you don't believe? why don't you go off and kill these Religionists, let's say the law will allow you saw, will you do that?

where is this topic going to exactly? you know why I used the word belief and what I did refer the word belief to, since I was talking about religion. Maybe I used the wrong word and didn't express my thought exactly. tell me this, will it change the meaning if I used the word Faith, having faith? I am not trying to get over this argument, but I may use the wrong words in English language!
Faith would pretty much change everything. But that's not the word you were looking for in the first place.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Do you act against everything you don't believe? why don't you go off and kill these Religionists, let's say the law will allow you so, will you do that?
I never talk about killing people, so let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

The principle that everyone can believe in what they want to is philosophically good. But it's very problematic when there are people who believe the most absurd things. And in those cases I think they should "have the right" to believe, but we should be trying to reason with them and point out the errors in their logic.

where is this topic going to exactly?
I was just thinking the same thing.

you know why I used the word belief and what I did refer the word belief to, since I was talking about religion. Maybe I used the wrong word and didn't express my thought exactly. tell me this, will it change the meaning if I used the word Faith, having faith? I am not trying to get over this argument, but I may use the wrong words in English language!
No, it's the same thing. What I don't get is how you're trying to carve out a niche for religion to say that this is some kind of unique type of belief that we have to respect, whereas other kinds of belief (including what Seven made up) are different. Belief is belief.

It would be one thing if people believed in god without any discernible effects to them. A purely philosophical thing. But people turn to religion for advice on how to live their lives (and while you may argue that this strictly has nothing to do with god), it's because of the god dude that people are convinced this particular set of rules are The Right Way. So while people believe in god and that's completely abstract, this whole religion business very much guides their actions.

Tell me, do you know what a non sequitur is? Do you? Do you really?
I knew it, but I think I forgot again. Happy to take the fall on this one.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I never talk about killing people, so cross that bridge when come to it.

The principle that everyone can believe in what they want to is philosophically good. But it's very problematic when there are people who believe the most absurd things. And in those cases I think they should "have the right" to believe, but we should be trying to reason with them and point out the errors in their logic.

No, it's the same thing. What I don't get is how you're trying to carve out a niche for religion to say that this is some kind of unique type of belief that we have to respect, whereas other kinds of belief (including what Seven made up) are different. Belief is belief.

It would be one thing if people believed in god without any discernible effects to them. A purely philosophical thing. But people turn to religion for advice on how to live their lives (and while you may argue that this strictly has nothing to do with god), it's because of the god dude that people are convinced this particular set of rules are The Right Way. So while people believe in god and that's completely abstract, this whole religion business very much guides their actions.

I knew it, but I think I forgot again. Happy to take the fall on this one.
That's not important. It just looks ridiculous when people use words they don't know. I think it's a lot smarter to simply admit you don't know the word. If Snoop hadn't used it, I wouldn't have cared.

The problem with religion is indeed that it tries to guide people. It does have a practical effect.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Everyone is entitled to his own belief as long as it's more or less reasonable and doesn't hurt society.
not only is this statement(really generous to call it so) void of any kind of meaning or value but it ironically enough intrinsically contradicts itself, you have unintentionally uncovered something royally sublime.

I ll give you a day to see it; reread your sentences.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
not only is this statement(really generous to call it so) void of any kind of meaning or value but it ironically enough intrinsically contradicts itself, you have unintentionally uncovered something royally sublime.

I ll give you a day to see it; reread your sentences.
I admit that it quite obviously doesn't have a practical meaning attached to it and that I wouldn't want to be the one having to attach that meaning to it.

It depends on a whole range of factors. Including how you see society. If you think muslims shouldn't be a part of society, it is quite obviously alright to kill them. But that's not how most of us see western society.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Everyone is entitled to his own belief
That's what I tried to say from the first place.. But you don't want to agree with, you just love drama and attention.

I never talk about killing people, so let's cross that bridge when we come to it.
So is religions in general. I swear I hate to do this, to defend religion, but religion isn't really about killing, at least I can talk about Christianity, I never ever read anything like that, it's quite the opposite to be honest. Sure you can find anything from their books to criticize.

So what Martin? Humans are dangerous with or without these books, the greed, the hate are all in human's nature. I know science can change this (Psychology), but the main problem is not religion who is teaching them crimes, it's their education and add to that the nurture and their psychology that starts building their character from the age -9 months!

This is exactly where we agree! If you noticed, at first I tried to say everyone is free to believe in God's existence or evolution or neither of them.

One should not take orders from book, that's where you (a religionist) become an idiot. I look at this religion thing philosophically, I would wish If everyone did the same instead of letting those books control their life, but they are free to believe the way they want even if it is wrong, if they do something wrong, we have law that can stop them. Anyway this is going way off topic, but I guess we understood each others points here.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If you still don't realise that I disagree with your original point I'm going to stop having this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)