Tunisia on the verge of revolution (1 Viewer)

OP
Hist

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
  • Thread Starter #63
    President's speech saying he is very sorry and he has gotten the message people are sending (1) he wont run for the presidency again, (2) he will stop all forms of censorship on the press and the internet, (3) he will assign a new minister of internal affairs, (4) he will reduce the prices on the basic products of food. have I missed anything?
    This is the first time I've seen an Arab Dictator beg his people to stop. (His wife and Daughter have fled the country and today there is a march to his presidential palace to take him out).

Now look at this :cry:. My respect for the Tunisians has multiplied exponentially.

Tunisians'Plan for Today: (someone translate for the folks)
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...973337_104224996294040_284363_6780 608_n.jpg

Minister of Foreign Affair's resignation Letter:

Resignation Letter

Citizens of the Republic of Tunisia, After witnessing the recent event that our country has been enduring since December17th 2010, I declare my inaptitude in pursuing my function in a serene and objective environment as intended.

I declare hereby my official resignation from my function as a minister of foreign affairs at the Tunisian government. In a last effort to assume my responsabilities, I am asking the families of the tunisian martyrs to accept my sincere condoleances and my deep regret faced to their common tragedy. I assumed the fate of the Tunisian citizens, after marrying the daughter of one of Ben Ali’s first cousins, and was a member of the family and part of their clan. I am not proud of my own family, and in an honest declaration, would be ready to be judged in court at the same time as they will be. This will be my last service to the Tunisian citizens, in hope that with my resignation, citizens of Tunisia will be more graceful towards me and my family.

I make this decision in hope for the return of rest. I relinquish the Tunisian government to express my deep affliction and my righteous anger toward the dire management of this crisis, causing hence the death of dozens of young Tunisians. I am profoundly convinced that these are not terrorist acts, but citizens exerting their right to strike against a regime who abandoned them for two decades. For this reason, I do not deem myself a member of this oppressing and manipulating government. In a last resort to save face with the international media, the government is working hard from within to portray the protesters as mindless terrorists destroying their country and refusing any peaceful discussion. The government has hired teams of their own police in civilian attire that go around ravaging the suburbs in an effort to spread doubt and disseminate the truth about the tunisian people.

I reiterate my most sincere condolences to the families of victims, not only to the ones that passed away these four past weeks, but to all the broken families by the injustice and inconveniences caused by this clan as well.

For a free Tunisia,

Kamel Morjane

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    its falling apart to be honest, it would take a miracle for it to be restored i just dont see how the pres and government can fix this. i also love how every one is trying to ditch the blame like its some sort of horrible virus :D i think for this to succeed the number of victims will increase to the degree the world community will start pressuring the government to just leave or the police forces realize this is costing more than its worth and stop killings.
    I don't think the international community would interfere even if thousands are killed. Simply, there is no benefit for them to get rid of the current president. So, they won't care at all, and may support him to stay shutting people up there.

reb u will love this just keep in mind that he has been in power since 1987 while u read this :D

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/01/2011113192110570350.html
    Yeah, I heard about it yesterday. He is so hopeless now. It is matter of time before he follows his wife to Dubai.

:D

No, I've met Karen people, Hmong, and the like. They never use the word "humiliation" with respect to what they've endured or experienced, which makes me wonder if it's a translation issue or a cultural one.
    Have you seen the videos on Youtube for Arab police in many countries humiliating their people? Well, I don't have any other word to describe that.

Hist may have some links for what the Egyptian police do for the people, if you want.

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    Tunisia's youth finally has revolution on its mind

We've become used to gossiping about the regime and feeling that we're plotting. But now we see the time to rebel has come

I am part of the new generation that has lived in Tunisia under the absolute rule of President Ben Ali.

In high school and college, we are always afraid to talk politics: "There are reporters everywhere," we are told. Nobody dares discussing politics in public; everyone is suspicious. Your neighbour, your friend, your grocer might be Ben Ali's informer: do you or your father want to be forcibly taken to an undefined place one night at 4am?

We grow up with this fear of activism; we continue studying, going out and partying, regardless of politics.

During high school, we begin to find out the intricacies of the "royal" family and hear stories here and there – about a relative of Leila [Trabelsi, the president's wife] who took control of an industry, who has appropriated the land of another person, who dealt with the Italian mafia. We talk and discuss it among ourselves – everybody is aware of what's going on, but there is no action. We quickly learn that Tunisian television is the worst television that exists. Everything is relayed to the glory of President Ben Ali, who's always shown at his best. We all know he dyes his hair black. Nobody likes his wife, who has a wooden smile: she never seemed sincere.

We do not live, but we think we do. We want to believe that all is well since we are part of the middle class, but we know that if the cafes are packed during the day, it is because the unemployed are there discussing football. The first nightclubs open their doors and we begin to go out, to drink and enjoy the nightlife around Sousse and Hammamet. Other stories are circulating – about a Trabelsi who gave someone a horrible kicking because he felt like it, or another who caused a car accident only to return home to sleep. We exchange stories, quietly, quickly. In our own way, it is a form of vengeance: by gossiping, we have the feeling we're plotting.

The police are afraid: if you tell them you're close to Ben Ali all doors open, hotels offer their best rooms, parking becomes free, traffic laws disappear.

The internet is blocked, and censored pages are referred to as pages "not found" – as if they had never existed. Schoolchildren are exchanging proxies and the word becomes cult: "You got a proxy that works?"

We all know that Leila has tried to sell a Tunisian island, that she wants to close the American school in Tunis to promote her own school – as I said, stories are circulating. Over the internet and under the desks, we exchange "La régente de Carthage" [a controversial book about the role of Leila Trabelsi and her family in Tunisia]. We love our country and we want things to change, but there is no organised movement: the tribe is willing, but the leader is missing.

The corruption, the bribes – we simply want to leave. We begin to apply to study in France, or Canada. It is cowardice, and we know it. Leaving the country to "the rest of them". We go to France and forget, then come back for the holidays. Tunisia? It is the beaches of Sousse and Hammamet, the nightclubs and restaurants. A giant ClubMed.

And then, WikiLeaks reveals what everyone was whispering. And then, a young man immolates himself. And then, 20 Tunisians are killed in one day.

And for the first time, we see the opportunity to rebel, to take revenge on the "royal" family who has taken everything, to overturn the established order that has accompanied our youth. An educated youth, which is tired and ready to sacrifice all the symbols of the former autocratic Tunisia with a new revolution: the Jasmin Revolution – the true one.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jan/13/tunisia-youth-revolution

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    I don't think the international community would interfere even if thousands are killed. Simply, there is no benefit for them to get rid of the current president. So, they won't care at all, and may support him to stay shutting people up there.

Yeah, I heard about it yesterday. He is so hopeless now. It is matter of time before he follows his wife to Dubai.

Have you seen the videos on Youtube for Arab police in many countries humiliating their people? Well, I don't have any other word to describe that.

Hist may have some links for what the Egyptian police do for the people, if you want.
    i think u r right about the international community turning its eye on these events like they do when there is no gain from it and boy are there loads of examples. i was just wishing they would literally back this up at least for the sake of the people who lose there lives all day and night over there.

as for the link i wanted u to read, i wanted u to see how pathetic they think they people are. the tunisian president is in power since 1987!! and all of a sudden he understands what the people want?!?!?! also his world is crumbling down and he still wants to remain in power till2014 and after that they can have normal elections?!!? i mean is he for real off course if he stays and this dies out he will make sure it will never happen again and the people will have to wait for another hundred years or until he dies.

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    Some info about Tunisia:

According to the Economist:
    On the democracy, it is rated 144 out of 167 countries.
    On the journalism freedom, it is rated 143 out of 173 countries.

Aljazeera is not allowed to work there.
    Youtube and Dailymotion are blocked since years.

Some news say that the American miltary base Africom is planned to be transformed from Stuttgart to Tunisia despite the refusal of the Tunisian people.

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    i think u r right about the international community turning its eye on these events like they do when there is no gain from it and boy are there loads of examples. i was just wishing they would literally back this up at least for the sake of the people who lose there lives all day and night over there.

as for the link i wanted u to read, i wanted u to see how pathetic they think they people are. the tunisian president is in power since 1987!! and all of a sudden he understands what the people want?!?!?! also his world is crumbling down and he still wants to remain in power till2014 and after that they can have normal elections?!!? i mean is he for real off course if he stays and this dies out he will make sure it will never happen again and the people will have to wait for another hundred years or until he dies.
    Well, they really think our people are useless and will not move whatever happens to them. I like the idea that Tunisians are not buying the any idea made by him else than him resigning. Nothing else.

On another topic, did you see the Kuwaiti interior minster yesterday? Did you read how he resigned because one of the prisoners there was killed by the torture? I loved how he said he is not honoured to lead that type of police.

It is a new trend in the Arab countries. I hope it will be good for all of our people.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    Well, they really think our people are useless and will not move whatever happens to them. I like the idea that Tunisians are not buying the any idea made by him else than him resigning. Nothing else.

On another topic, did you see the Kuwaiti interior minster yesterday? Did you read how he resigned because one of the prisoners there was killed by the torture? I loved how he said he is not honoured to lead that type of police.

It is a new trend in the Arab countries. I hope it will be good for all of our people.
    no i never heard this reb!! this is a good trend though we r never used to this :D if one dies its ok there are millions more to go!! i hope they stay in there places and keep pushing for what they want i was worried they might calm down after his speech but turns out they r more determined to go thru this!!

speaking of taking the blame for anything, we sadly dont have that mentality u will never hear some one come out and tell the people i did this and i take full responsibilty for what i did instead u see : i asked the interior minister to resign bec he used brutal force as if he never knew about it or never issued the order!!

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    Breaking news:

The Tunisian official Tv says that there is something very important will be broadcasted after minutes.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    Breaking news:

The Tunisian official Tv says that there is something very important will be broadcasted after minutes.

also there is this مصادر للجزيرة: الأمن التونسي يعتقل أفرادا من أسرة الطرابلسي ( أصهار الرئيس بن علي) قبيل مغادرتهم مطار تونس

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    Alarabia Tv: Fuad Amaizaa', the parliament chairman will be the coming president and will call for a early elections

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    also there is this مصادر للجزيرة: الأمن التونسي يعتقل أفرادا من أسرة الطرابلسي ( أصهار الرئيس بن علي) قبيل مغادرتهم مطار تونس
    Yes, and they just said that the dictator has already left Tunisia and the army is controlling the whole situation.

Revolution WON!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)