Tunisia on the verge of revolution (2 Viewers)

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
She's definitely a good actress. I never watch Egyptian Tv Series, but i actually caught a few episodes of her series, the one where she wants to get married :D. That was quite funny :p
yeah i loved that series shame i was'nt following it all the time i missed a big chunk of it but the ones i've seen were hilarious , specially her brother he was insane :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Yo Rebel, I like reading your stuff from the region. Can you go into a bit more detail of the domino effect you speak of?
Thanks, mate.

Actually, everybody that knows the history of our region knows that any movement in one country affects the others directly. That was so clear in the 50s and the 60s of the last century when a revolution was taking place in Syria as a reaction to another one in Egypt for example.

People in these countries feel the same humiliation right now by all the dictators regardless the form of the regime, if it is republic, kingdom, or whatever. These leaders use all the possible ways to shut people up, and people became so scared from each other because most of the Arab countries became police countries where you doubt the reality of your neighbor if he is one of the secret police guys or not, so you do not do anything because you are scared from the reaction of the regime and you have no confidence in all the people around you politically.

Now, this group appraisal in Tunisia is trying to remove this mentality from the Arab average person's head. If the demonstrators there succeed in removing that regime in spite of the bloody reactions of police, that will encourage other peoples in the region to go the same route where they will have more confidence that such a group movement can do them good by removing all those corrupt and stupid leaders.

oh yes!! let me tell u every one is watching this and shitting bricks!! who is next?? i think algeria will follow the same path soon.
Exactly. When I was in Algeria, I felt the poverty in some neighborhoods was so harsh. They have many things in common with Tunisians and will be affected hugely by what happens there.

Exactly, some of Tunisia's neighbours(men don thekr asma2;)) have already began to get worried and have already made steps to avoid their own people's wrath by lowering prices and lowering taxes on imports and the like.
Exactly.

Even here in Amman there is a huge call for a very big demonstration against the high prices in the downtown after Friday prayers. It is the first demonstration like that since decades. Organizers say it will be peaceful but knowing the government here I expect the police will make some minor clashes with demonstrators during the demonstration and will damage some normal people's stores in order to have a way to stop this type of protesting immediately before it is so late like in Tunisia.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
I understood only 50 % of what he is saying, but I can say that his words can be generalized on all the Arab countries where corruption is everywhere.

But the singer is addressing the wrong person as the Tunisian president is the root for the whole corruption there so what to expect when you complain about it to him?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Btw, I second those comments. It's great to hear the perspective of "insiders".

Actually, everybody that knows the history of our region knows that any movement in one country affects the others directly. That was so clear in the 50s and the 60s of the last century when a revolution was taking place in Syria as a reaction to another one in Egypt for example.

People in these countries feel the same humiliation right now by all the dictators regardless the form of the regime, if it is republic, kingdom, or whatever. These leaders use all the possible ways to shut people up, and people became so scared from each other because most of the Arab countries became police countries where you doubt the reality of your neighbor if he is one of the secret police guys or not, so you do not do anything because you are scared from the reaction of the regime and you have no confidence in all the people around you politically.
One thing that strikes me, however, is the prevalent use of the word "humiliation". It's an English word of course, but it's one that most frequently comes up when discussing the situation among Arabs in Palestine, Arabs in their own respective countries, and Arabs with regards to the rest of the world at large.

It seems to suggest a major subjective theme that, for example, you don't see coming from the many who have experienced similar government or local cruelties in places like Russia, China, Burma, other parts of Africa, etc.

Not that you can answer this, but is there something about the people's psyche that emphasizes the theme of humiliation so much where the term almost never appears in other contexts?

OP
Hist

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
  • Thread Starter #49
    She's definitely a good actress. I never watch Egyptian Tv Series, but i actually caught a few episodes of her series, the one where she wants to get married :D. That was quite funny :p
    oh boy man this show sucks

OP
    Hist

Hist

Founder of Hism
    Jan 18, 2009
  • Thread Starter #50
    too bad that there is no direction in the revolution. There is no common goal. It is more of an expression of anger and frustration rather than a movement towards a definite concept. Chaos will reign for a long time. I wont be surprised if they become like Iran.

If the same happens in Egypt.. i believe the only road will be backwards. I'll be happy watching the current government getting fucked... but the alternative will definitely be shitty.

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
    Thanks, mate.

Now, this group appraisal in Tunisia is trying to remove this mentality from the Arab average person's head. If the demonstrators there succeed in removing that regime in spite of the bloody reactions of police, that will encourage other peoples in the region to go the same route where they will have more confidence that such a group movement can do them good by removing all those corrupt and stupid leaders.
    Thanks Rebel. :tup:

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    I understood only 50 % of what he is saying, but I can say that his words can be generalized on all the Arab countries where corruption is everywhere.

But the singer is addressing the wrong person as the Tunisian president is the root for the whole corruption there so what to expect when you complain about it to him?
    I didn't understand a word until the subtitles appeared.

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    Well its in 3:11. :agree:
    I looked for it and found nothing relevant to the subject.

Btw, I second those comments. It's great to hear the perspective of "insiders".

One thing that strikes me, however, is the prevalent use of the word "humiliation". It's an English word of course, but it's one that most frequently comes up when discussing the situation among Arabs in Palestine, Arabs in their own respective countries, and Arabs with regards to the rest of the world at large.

It seems to suggest a major subjective theme that, for example, you don't see coming from the many who have experienced similar government or local cruelties in places like Russia, China, Burma, other parts of Africa, etc.

Not that you can answer this, but is there something about the people's psyche that emphasizes the theme of humiliation so much where the term almost never appears in other contexts?
    Are you talking regularly to people from Burma and China? I think your fate is to talk to a big group of Arabs here:juventus:

You're so welcome, mate...

I didn't understand a word until the subtitles appeared.
    Believe me, it was not easy for me too.

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    Update:

1- The death toll for Wednesday is 16 killed by police, one of them was killed during the night curfew in the capital.
    2- Many governmental buildings and vehicles were seen burning this morning in the capital, and the the sound of bullets was heard many times.
    3- The dictator sacrifices more of his consultants by firing them.
    4- Some sources say that the dictator has run away from the country, and his family denies.
    5- Thousands of demonstrators were clashing today in many cities, especially Qafsa and Nabul.
    6- The dicatator appointed the media minister that he fired because of the clashes before two weeks as his special consultant.:lol:
    7- At least four more victims inside the capital today.
    8- Public transportation stopped in the capital's west and south.
    9- The foreign affairs minister resigns and directs a letter to the people saying that he is not responsible for the massacres there. After few hours, the government denies that he resigned.
    10- French prime minister calls for stopping violence.
    11- USA, Switzerland and Netherlands urge their citizens not to go to Tunisia.
    12- The dictator claims again that he ordered the interior minister to stop shooting people. He says that an investigation committee has been established. Another committee for investigating corruption was established according to him.
    13- Hillary Clinton from Doha to the Arab leaders: You have to fight corruption!!!:lol:
    14- Moroccan police forbids a demonstration in front of the Tunisian embassy in Rabat.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    Update:

1- The death toll for Wednesday is 16 killed by police, one of them was killed during the night curfew in the capital.
    2- Many governmental buildings and vehicles were seen burning this morning in the capital, and the the sound of bullets was heard many times.
    3- The dictator sacrifices more of his consultants by firing them.
    4- Some sources say that the dictator has run away from the country, and his family denies.
    5- Thousands of demonstrators were clashing today in many cities, especially Qafsa and Nabul.
    6- The dicatator appointed the media minister that he fired because of the clashes before two weeks as his special consultant.:lol:
    7- At least four more victims inside the capital today.
    8- Public transportation stopped in the capital's west and south.
    9- The foreign affairs minister resigns and directs a letter to the people saying that he is not responsible for the massacres there. After few hours, the government denies that he resigned.
    10- French prime minister calls for stopping violence.
    11- USA, Switzerland and Netherlands urge their citizens not to go to Tunisia.
    12- The dictator claims again that he ordered the interior minister to stop shooting people. He says that an investigation committee has been established. Another committee for investigating corruption was established according to him.
    13- Hillary Clinton from Doha to the Arab leaders: You have to fight corruption!!!:lol:
    14- Moroccan police forbids a demonstration in front of the Tunisian embassy in Rabat.

its falling apart to be honest, it would take a miracle for it to be restored i just dont see how the pres and government can fix this. i also love how every one is trying to ditch the blame like its some sort of horrible virus :D i think for this to succeed the number of victims will increase to the degree the world community will start pressuring the government to just leave or the police forces realize this is costing more than its worth and stop killings.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Are you talking regularly to people from Burma and China? I think your fate is to talk to a big group of Arabs here:juventus:
    :D

No, I've met Karen people, Hmong, and the like. They never use the word "humiliation" with respect to what they've endured or experienced, which makes me wonder if it's a translation issue or a cultural one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)