Totti rejects to play for italy...again!! (1 Viewer)

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Hopefully whoever is in charge when he tries to come back with have the nerve to tell him to get tae fuck.
definately:agree: we get a lot of this in scotland also, lots of the "top" players at teh old firm dont fancy teh games against lithuainia,belarus,etc and pick up "niggling strains" but damned sure they are there when we get italy or france.....or occasionally make a tournament proper. if totti pulls that shit out i would politely tell him to go forth and multiply

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
“Italy have lost a real world class player, perhaps their greatest player. He was often decisive for the Azzurri and is certainly one of the greatest in the history of Italian football, giving so much to this sport.”
Totti is a great player but he's never been that decisive for the national team.

Anyway,I'm sure he'll be back for Euro 08 finals.I rarely remember him available for qualifying matches and this is what really annoys me.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Totti is a great player but he's never been that decisive for the national team.

Anyway,I'm sure he'll be back for Euro 08 finals.I rarely remember him available for qualifying matches and this is what really annoys me.
no francesco was right in how he was decisive, i mean afterall he basically cost italy in euro 2004, and got himself sent off at wc 2002 for a dubious foul

Max

Jul 15, 2003
Why couldn't have he retired three or four months ago? He kept the federation waiting for an entire year now! This is selfish to a immeasureable degree, and of course all of the directors say how he "graced the Italian jersey" and "honoured the nation". How? He didn't respect the federation and he didn't respect his teammates and coach.

There's no need to glorify him, for he has only demonstrated the poor sportsmanship that haunts the game (ie. spitting on Paulsen, sent off for diving in '02). And the penalty against Australia wasn't that great, so get over yourself, Totti.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Why couldn't have he retired three or four months ago? He kept the federation waiting for an entire year now! This is selfish to a immeasureable degree, and of course all of the directors say how he "graced the Italian jersey" and "honoured the nation". How? He didn't respect the federation and he didn't respect his teammates and coach.

There's no need to glorify him, for he has only demonstrated the poor sportsmanship that haunts the game (ie. spitting on Paulsen, sent off for diving in '02). And the penalty against Australia wasn't that great, so get over yourself, Totti.
:agree: :agree: ...Vieri did so much more for azzurri but never got the kind of adulation this prick is getting

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Well like he said who will the northern press blame now that he has retired from the Italian team. It is just a shame that tribalism and nonsense like this rears its ugly head in society. People who don't really care about Italy now have their say in Totti's decision. The guy retired like Shearer, Scholes and otherplayers have retired because of the stick they get from press and fans who just wanna come down on these players because they represent a different region of the country. No doubt they would say they want to concentrate on their clubs but I do not think for 1 minute that they just retired because of thatreason alone. Look at whats happening on here, 99% of the people here don't like Totti because he is not a Juventus player, a lot of them are not Italians or care that much for Italy but theywant to give their 2 cents worth on whats happening. No doubt they would protest that they don't like Totti not becos he plays for Roma but because he has a bad attitude. Is his behaviour worse than Camoranesi's? Camoranesi behaves just as appallingly without the talent of Totti but because he is a jUventus player, it is allowed. Why don't you ask the true Italian fans, the ones who love their country and want the best players to play for their country whether they are happy Totti is gone. I doubt majority are happy with this situation. You will find out a lot of people have an agenda. It is really a sad say that someone is forced to stop playing for his country because society is full of ignorant idiots. Lets not forget that this is the guy who scored the most crucial goal in the world cup for Italy. I mean who knows what would have happened if that penalty was missed? Everybody cannot be Dp who is really to take every horseshit thrown his way. I mean we all saw Dp's reaction to his scoring the second goal against Germany. All the frustration came out then. Totti is beloved by Roma and the press in the south are not as scathing and he feels he does not need the bullshit anymore. Its a shame that he has allowed idiots to drive him out of the Italy setup but whatever he has been one of Italy's best players whether you like to read it or not.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Well like he said who will the northern press blame now that he has retired from the Italian team. It is just a shame that tribalism and nonsense like this rears its ugly head in society. People who don't really care about Italy now have their say in Totti's decision. The guy retired like Shearer, Scholes and otherplayers have retired because of the stick they get from press and fans who just wanna come down on these players because they represent a different region of the country. No doubt they would say they want to concentrate on their clubs but I do not think for 1 minute that they just retired because of thatreason alone. Look at whats happening on here, 99% of the people here don't like Totti because he is not a Juventus player, a lot of them are not Italians or care that much for Italy but theywant to give their 2 cents worth on whats happening. No doubt they would protest that they don't like Totti not becos he plays for Roma but because he has a bad attitude. Is his behaviour worse than Camoranesi's? Camoranesi behaves just as appallingly without the talent of Totti but because he is a jUventus player, it is allowed. Why don't you ask the true Italian fans, the ones who love their country and want the best players to play for their country whether they are happy Totti is gone. I doubt majority are happy with this situation. You will find out a lot of people have an agenda. It is really a sad say that someone is forced to stop playing for his country because society is full of ignorant idiots. Lets not forget that this is the guy who scored the most crucial goal in the world cup for Italy. I mean who knows what would have happened if that penalty was missed? Everybody cannot be Dp who is really to take every horseshit thrown his way. I mean we all saw Dp's reaction to his scoring the second goal against Germany. All the frustration came out then. Totti is beloved by Roma and the press in the south are not as scathing and he feels he does not need the bullshit anymore. Its a shame that he has allowed idiots to drive him out of the Italy setup but whatever he has been one of Italy's best players whether you like to read it or not.
I may not agree with everything you say, but you are a quality poster, and this post was full of insights. As a somewhat of bystander on the whole issue, I guess I may have overlooked this North vs South thing in the whole affair. As I have said earlier, I cannot believe health being the reason as to why Totti decided to hang up his boot for the Nazionale. If Italia didnt win WC, you have retired from International soccer games? I highly doubt it. The reason I think he decided to quit is that he feels there is nothing to prove to Italian public or world at large. He won the biggest competition in the world, he went to final of second most important only to loose at the last second of the game. Obviously weighing this up with the potential criticism which will be aimed at him for every missed pass, shot, or yellow cards playing against Lithuania, Scotland, and Georgia, you understand why he wanted to quit. Furthermore, with the birth of new child, and the age he finds himself now, I guess he would like to spend a week or two with his family without any professional stress instead of spending nights on hotels and team camps.

But in spite of all this, I have no doubts that Totti should not have quit the team. I still feel he owes the world a true master-class performance, which undoubtedly can deliver. As an avid watcher of Serie A for many years, I know what he is capable of what. I feel in form Totti is every bit as good as Rivaldo and Figo, even though, not as good as Zizou. But there are many doubts from those, who only get to see, odd game or two of him playing for Roma in CL, and Azzurri. How can people judge a player from a sample of 5-6 games I dont know. But with publicity surrounds soccer, and existence of thousands of so called "experts" trying to come up some unconventional view, you won't find shortage of people trying to belittle players game (I do that myself a bit, but at least my view don't get further away from Juventuz.com). Totti hasn't left any individual sporting outcome like Baggio, Riva, Rossi et al. In fact, the decision to retire, signifies the problem of Totti as a professional; his lack of passion to win it all. If he was so charged up about winning trophies and collecting personal accolades he would have left Roma ages ago, and kept playing Nazionale. But he doesn't. And somewhere in me says that in fact Francesco is too much of good person in heart to say no to Roma and do what is in fact best of his interest. Secondly, it will be grossly unfair to fellow professional to say I changed my mind, and I shall play for Azzurri in the Finals stage of competition. Even if he doesnt seriously intend to do so, the media pressure will be huge (e.g Maldini case), and such interest won't be healthy for the team. You know all top players should pack up their bag, and say, call me up, when things really get important. But of course they don't since if that happens talia won't qualify for the real thing. Lastly, good professional should take criticism as well as praises. They are "public figure" which means they will be a subject of scrutiny which most of us won't suffer. But to concentrate on the criticism is to see one side of the coin whilst ignoring the other. Because they are public figure, they earn millions of dollars in year, which probably all of us here won't earn even in our life time. You know, if somebody told me that I am going to earn like 10-15m dollars a year (probably more for Totti), and I get to play the game I love and receive some praise (which Totti do get) then I wouldnt mind some criticisms and slurs aimed at me. I never understood why sportsmen would ever read newspapers. Its not as if they are going to or need to read issues in Iraq, interest rate, government expenditure. Get a good taxman, PR and investment consultant then your life is pretty much sorted.

I totally agree with you some of press have their own agendas and they are vile. But I believe Totti should have made choice not to give them a good middle finger, but considering what his actions would mean to true Azzurri fans and most importantly his teammates. Quitting simply wasnt a right choice IMO.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I may not agree with everything you say, but you are a quality poster, and this post was full of insights. As a somewhat of bystander on the whole issue, I guess I may have overlooked this North vs South thing in the whole affair. As I have said earlier, I cannot believe health being the reason as to why Totti decided to hang up his boot for the Nazionale. If Italia didnt win WC, you have retired from International soccer games? I highly doubt it. The reason I think he decided to quit is that he feels there is nothing to prove to Italian public or world at large. He won the biggest competition in the world, he went to final of second most important only to loose at the last second of the game. Obviously weighing this up with the potential criticism which will be aimed at him for every missed pass, shot, or yellow cards playing against Lithuania, Scotland, and Georgia, you understand why he wanted to quit. Furthermore, with the birth of new child, and the age he finds himself now, I guess he would like to spend a week or two with his family without any professional stress instead of spending nights on hotels and team camps.

But in spite of all this, I have no doubts that Totti should not have quit the team. I still feel he owes the world a true master-class performance, which undoubtedly can deliver. As an avid watcher of Serie A for many years, I know what he is capable of what. I feel in form Totti is every bit as good as Rivaldo and Figo, even though, not as good as Zizou. But there are many doubts from those, who only get to see, odd game or two of him playing for Roma in CL, and Azzurri. How can people judge a player from a sample of 5-6 games I dont know. But with publicity surrounds soccer, and existence of thousands of so called "experts" trying to come up some unconventional view, you won't find shortage of people trying to belittle players game (I do that myself a bit, but at least my view don't get further away from Juventuz.com). Totti hasn't left any individual sporting outcome like Baggio, Riva, Rossi et al. In fact, the decision to retire, signifies the problem of Totti as a professional; his lack of passion to win it all. If he was so charged up about winning trophies and collecting personal accolades he would have left Roma ages ago, and kept playing Nazionale. But he doesn't. And somewhere in me says that in fact Francesco is too much of good person in heart to say no to Roma and do what is in fact best of his interest. Secondly, it will be grossly unfair to fellow professional to say I changed my mind, and I shall play for Azzurri in the Finals stage of competition. Even if he doesnt seriously intend to do so, the media pressure will be huge (e.g Maldini case), and such interest won't be healthy for the team. You know all top players should pack up their bag, and say, call me up, when things really get important. But of course they don't since if that happens talia won't qualify for the real thing. Lastly, good professional should take criticism as well as praises. They are "public figure" which means they will be a subject of scrutiny which most of us won't suffer. But to concentrate on the criticism is to see one side of the coin whilst ignoring the other. Because they are public figure, they earn millions of dollars in year, which probably all of us here won't earn even in our life time. You know, if somebody told me that I am going to earn like 10-15m dollars a year (probably more for Totti), and I get to play the game I love and receive some praise (which Totti do get) then I wouldnt mind some criticisms and slurs aimed at me. I never understood why sportsmen would ever read newspapers. Its not as if they are going to or need to read issues in Iraq, interest rate, government expenditure. Get a good taxman, PR and investment consultant then your life is pretty much sorted.

I totally agree with you some of press have their own agendas and they are vile. But I believe Totti should have made choice not to give them a good middle finger, but considering what his actions would mean to true Azzurri fans and most importantly his teammates. Quitting simply wasnt a right choice IMO.
Jun, its very easy for you and i to say he should ignore criticism and carry in regardless but we do not know what kind of abuse his kids or his family get. After the world cup in 2002, paolo Maldin got slot of stick, about his age and his performances dipping and all of that and he duly retired thinking after all he has done for the game, he does not need that shite. Do you know that Dp is the most protected player in Italy as far as Juventus fans are concerned? Sure there are an odd few who lambast him but by and large Juventus fans protect him like a cocoon because of the unfair criticism he was getting from the press when he had his problems. You see it here how he is protected so very much and very much loved by Juventus fans. If not for this protection, I just wonder where his career would have ended up. Yes Totti is loved by Roma fans but I doubt the love and protection is like that of Juventus fans. You need to see what happens when he scores a goal how they go absolutely nuts, forgive him bad passes and poor sessions. How many people do you know can survive the amount of relatively poor seasons that Dp has put in over the years and still be as loved as he is. You see if he did not get so much horseshit over euro2000 and wc 98, I doubt if he would have so much protection. my point is that Dp still plays for the Nt because of outr protection. I am not sure Roma fans give 2 fooks about the NT being that southerners feel slighted. Maradona left Barcelona because he did not feel as loved as he wanted to be or felt he deserved. Argentines are not treated with respect in Barcelona so he left to Napoli where he was just adored. There comes a time where you fell enough is enough and you do not need that kinda abuse they take. As for reading papers, everyone would like to know what people are saying about them either performance on the field or in the tabloids or you would not be human. Its impossible to completely ignore. You think that he wants to come back to play in the big tournament but not bother about qualifying, you might be right but he is not the first is he? Baggio never used to bother about playing qualifiers as well. When they look like qualifying or they have qualified, then he throws his hat into the mix, giving the manager a headache and starting a nationwide campaign to get him into the team. If Totti thought he still had many big tournaments in him, I doubt if he would have done as much as he did to get himself fit enough to play at the world cup.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Jun, its very easy for you and i to say he should ignore criticism and carry in regardless but we do not know what kind of abuse his kids or his family get. After the world cup in 2002, paolo Maldin got slot of stick, about his age and his performances dipping and all of that and he duly retired thinking after all he has done for the game, he does not need that shite. Do you know that Dp is the most protected player in Italy as far as Juventus fans are concerned? Sure there are an odd few who lambast him but by and large Juventus fans protect him like a cocoon because of the unfair criticism he was getting from the press when he had his problems. You see it here how he is protected so very much and very much loved by Juventus fans. If not for this protection, I just wonder where his career would have ended up. Yes Totti is loved by Roma fans but I doubt the love and protection is like that of Juventus fans. You need to see what happens when he scores a goal how they go absolutely nuts, forgive him bad passes and poor sessions. How many people do you know can survive the amount of relatively poor seasons that Dp has put in over the years and still be as loved as he is. You see if he did not get so much horseshit over euro2000 and wc 98, I doubt if he would have so much protection. my point is that Dp still plays for the Nt because of outr protection. I am not sure Roma fans give 2 fooks about the NT being that southerners feel slighted. Maradona left Barcelona because he did not feel as loved as he wanted to be or felt he deserved. Argentines are not treated with respect in Barcelona so he left to Napoli where he was just adored. There comes a time where you fell enough is enough and you do not need that kinda abuse they take. As for reading papers, everyone would like to know what people are saying about them either performance on the field or in the tabloids or you would not be human. Its impossible to completely ignore. You think that he wants to come back to play in the big tournament but not bother about qualifying, you might be right but he is not the first is he? Baggio never used to bother about playing qualifiers as well. When they look like qualifying or they have qualified, then he throws his hat into the mix, giving the manager a headache and starting a nationwide campaign to get him into the team. If Totti thought he still had many big tournaments in him, I doubt if he would have done as much as he did to get himself fit enough to play at the world cup.
There are many valid points, and I guess it is hard for me to understand the pressure that comes from scrutiny of world-class professional such as Totti (which he undoubtedly is). Thinking about it, Baggio himself has missed fair bit of qualifiers, but then again no man has been slighted more by his own NT than the great man. A lot of times, it was Arrigo Sacchi own decision to leave Baggio out of the squad. His determination to give all, and overcome that injury so that he can play at Japan Korea WC in spite of his age was so heart-warming. Would he have been so determined had he won the thing in 94? I don't know. But all I know, Baggio is a human being who is willing to exert himself until he got nothing left, and do not hestitate to suffer the embarrasment of playing for likes of Bologna and Brescia if that means extending his career.

This is why I am somewhat critical of Totti. I still honestly believe, despite what he says, play at this level for many many years, and have yet to show the world what he is truly capable of. Baggio, in spite of not winning the whole thing, can boast a track record which nobody can argue; 90, 94, 98. But Totti's do not get such universal recognition as it is evident from this board. Its pity because he is such a wonderful player to watch. I understand that spending time with family, friends, and not going through criticism is comfortable and desirable. But because of such difficult process in the way, the joy of winning is so much sweeter. And I don't see why this Azzurri team cannot challenge for big honours. Players like Aquilani, Rosina, Montolivo, Pazzini, Chiellini, Nocerino are really really really good players and add that mix to already strong group they have, I think Totti has still got a good chance to collect couple of more trophies along the way if lucky. He is only 30 or 31. As a fan of this beautiful game, I would like to see him playing highest level for a bit more. But you are totally right. Fans are critically to the longevity of sports. People should think a bit more before they write or say in newspaper or TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)