The Super League part deux? (13 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
I think commercial revenue is the best metric to measure popularity, as both the sponsorship deals and merch sales mostly depend on how many paying fans a club has. Of course things like owners pumping money through sponsorship and when the deal was last negotiated matters too. Acc to Deloitte money league report 2023, commercial revenue looks like this, Bayern might actually be Nr1 if we assume significant portion of City and PSG commercial revenue is Qatar and Saudi investments:

PSG 383m
Bayern 378m
City 373m
Real 318m
ManU 309m
Barca 284m
Pool 275m
Spurs 215m
Chelski 209m
Juve 194m
Borussia 174m
Arse 167m
Atletico 108m
Inter 87m
Milan 87m

We're doing very poor here, we've hardly improved since we started struggling on pitch.
Bayern sponsors also own part of the club.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevep...de-them-a-commercial-success/?sh=264781e81826

Buy on AliExpress.com

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
In Germany and in some European countries. Similar situation to JJ.

They are still levels below in popularity to prem clubs.

You guys live in a Eurocentric region. EPL clubs reign supreme outside Europe.
You live in an Asian centric region? Bayern has loads of fans. No wonder they make a shitload of money.

Barca and Real are by far the most popular clubs in Latin America, EPL is not even close.

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
You live in an Asian centric region? Bayern has loads of fans. No wonder they make a shitload of money.

Barca and Real are by far the most popular clubs in Latin America, EPL is not even close.
I've even regularly see Juventus and Milan shirts in Columbia, Mexico, and Puetro Rico. I rarely see EPL stuff when I travel to South America.

Rockets

Jul 26, 2022
In China now it's ManU, Real and Barca being the big three. Bayern being a distant fourth perhaps, and then follows Arsenal and Liverpool.

As to serie A teams there has been a clear decline in the number of supporters. It was the first European league broadcast live on TV some 35 years ago. And up till the beginning of the new century Milan, Juve, Inter are definitely among the top 8 in terms of fanbase, together with ManU, Real and Barca. But then EPL swept across with their Asian-friendly game time and dozens of commercial strategies, that helped them build a solid quantity of teenage fans. And at the same time serie A was going downhill and stopped attracting new fans.

The majority of serie A team supporters in China now are over 30, many of them over 40. And as far as I know, they are caring less and less about football.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
But best way to have influence is through spreading your culture over the world like it happened back then. Then you make sure they all speak your language

Hence it’s easy to follow the PL because of English being the World language.

German and Italian no doubt have a harder time in terms of marketing because they’re mostly centered around Europe and their own region.

I know many Italians together with Germans arrived in the US, my point is they might follow a club from their ancestors country, but this is only speaking of the US. Not like German and Italians got their influence all over the world like the others.

There for I don’t see how it’s possible to break the PL monopoly as of now. Marketing is fine, but you can’t change a market thats already so one sided towards the Brits.

They have all the money, all the influence because everyone speaks English, all the fans and the marketing.
If this was such a deciding factor then EPL would always be the most popular league, but it wasn't was it? Historically Serie A and LaLiga were always ahead. So the colony and lingua franca argument is a stretch IMO.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
If this was such a deciding factor then EPL would always be the most popular league, but it wasn't was it? Historically Serie A and LaLiga were always ahead. So the colony and lingua franca argument is a stretch IMO.
Don’t know if they were always ahead. English clubs won 6 European Cups in a row from 1977-1982, won again in 1984. Serie A was ahead from the mid 80’s after Heysel and until the late 90’s/start of the 00’s. Thats when PL really started to gain ground.

It might be a stretch, but after the introduction of the PL it was just a matter of time before they would become the most dominant league in the World.

I can’t speak for other parts of the World, but in Europe (at least in Scandinavia) you have loads of men being Liverpool fans because of the 70’s/80’s. English clubs became very popular even back then, these are typical in their late 40/s and 50’s or a little older.

You also find some who are fans of Bayern for the reason of West Germany in the 1970’s with Beckenbauer, Müller, Sepp Maier, Breitner etc.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Don’t know if they were always ahead. English clubs won 6 European Cups in a row from 1977-1982, won again in 1984. Serie A was ahead from the mid 80’s after Heysel and until the late 90’s/start of the 00’s. Thats when PL really started to gain ground.

It might be a stretch, but after the introduction of the PL it was just a matter of time before they would become the most dominant league in the World.

I can’t speak for other parts of the World, but in Europe (at least in Scandinavia) you have loads of men being Liverpool fans because of the 70’s/80’s. English clubs became very popular even back then, these are typical in their late 40/s and 50’s or a little older.

You also find some who are fans of Bayern for the reason of West Germany in the 1970’s with Beckenbauer, Müller, Sepp Maier, Breitner etc.
Dude, why would language matter? Think about it. The product is nor verbal, every country has its own commentators and pundits. Language is irrelavant IMO, this is not the movie industry ffs, this is sports, speaking is optional.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Dude, why would language matter? Think about it. The product is nor verbal, every country has its own commentators and pundits. Language is irrelavant IMO, this is not the movie industry ffs, this is sports, speaking is optional.
You always with these outlandish parallel reality toasts

Without disagreeing about EPL being the most attractive product right now it's obvious that other than the contrarians like ourselves here everybody is likely to relate to clubs based on their heritage, culture, language. Bayern and Italian clubs at their best had fewer global fans than shit tier kick and rush age EPL teams of the 80s. You're just looking at the matter like a complete bot 'beep beep no language needed to kick ball beep beep' but it's not like this. English & Irish (+Americans) connected by culture, Northern Europeans connected by spirit, Indians bombarded by English colonialism are going to predominantly watch the English league and the whole Spanish speaking world to root for one of Barca & Real. Sven Magnusson isn't gonna pick up fucking Barcelona as his club no matter how good they are and Manolo Gomez ain't gonna make Oliver Kahn his hero, is he? This is why Serie A is double-fucked, due to incompetence and because of the cards it was dealt in terms of global demographics.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
Language is the most relevant matter. Have you seen how English commentators talk about Juve? I watched Juve in Russian and Arabic commentary for years after 2006. Also I only watched one Juve match and I felt a complete alien among Italian speakers; much rather watch Juve with Tuz.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
You always with these outlandish parallel reality toasts

Without disagreeing about EPL being the most attractive product right now it's obvious that other than the contrarians like ourselves here everybody is likely to relate to clubs based on their heritage, culture, language. Bayern and Italian clubs at their best had fewer global fans than shit tier kick and rush age EPL teams of the 80s. You're just looking at the matter like a complete bot 'beep beep no language needed to kick ball beep beep' but it's not like this. English & Irish (+Americans) connected by culture, Northern Europeans connected by spirit, Indians bombarded by English colonialism are going to predominantly watch the English league and the whole Spanish speaking world to root for one of Barca & Real. Sven Magnusson isn't gonna pick up fucking Barcelona as his club no matter how good they are and Manolo Gomez ain't gonna make Oliver Kahn his hero, is he? This is why Serie A is double-fucked, due to incompetence and because of the cards it was dealt in terms of global demographics.
Ok, how did Serie A ever become the best league then, if its cards were always this shitty. Explain that. Was just luck? No, it was simply the best product and no one gave a shit what language they spoke.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Ok, how did Serie A ever become the best league then, if its cards were always this shitty. Explain that. Was just luck? No, it was simply the best product and no one gave a shit what language they spoke.
It became the best league because at the time seria A clubs pumped the most money into transfers .
It's always all about the money.
Just as with the PL . When Russian oligarchs ,American tycoons and Arab sheiks started pumping huge sums of money into these clubs the only logical thing happened.
It became the best league.
Great atmosphere, new stadiums ,professional broadcasting was just the icing on the cake.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
It became the best league because at the time seria A clubs pumped the most money into transfers .
Just as with the PL . When Russian oligarchs ,American tycoons and Arab sheiks started pumping huge sums of money into these clubs the only logical thing happened.
Great atmosphere, new stadiums ,professional broadcasting was just the icing on the cake.
I agree with it. Foreign investment in Chelsea and City created two additional super teams that naturally increased the competitiveness of the whole league making it more attractive to customers.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
PL clubs being banned from Europe for 5 years also a very likely reason

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I have no doubt that Italian league with Juve, Milan, Inter, Napoli, Roma, Lazio, etc could challenge EPL in terms of appeal easily if those clubs focused on their growth instead of planting listening devices and plotting against the most trophied Italian club. Such mentality where instead of aspiring to ascend to a higher level, you are looking to drag opponents down to yours is difficult to change. Hence Italian league deserve ignominy and to fall into irrelevance.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
You talk like 'better marketing' is a small thing. That's the main reason why PL is at the level it is today. A league comprising of mostly foreign ownership.

I can agree that Barca and Real can break the EPL barrier but not the other two clubs.
EPL will join eventually, once the pressure mounts, they will start losing their best players to super league teams and become more irrelevant on the global scale. You best believe, if this super league starts, once rich clubs like them, who haven't signed up, will slowly become overshadowed, so they'll have no choice but to join

Knowah

Jan 28, 2013
EPL will join eventually, once the pressure mounts, they will start losing their best players to super league teams and become more irrelevant on the global scale. You best believe, if this super league starts, once rich clubs like them, who haven't signed up, will slowly become overshadowed, so they'll have no choice but to join
I don't know if it will go this far but I think UEFA has rested too much on the model and not done enough to fill people with what they want.

And part of the EPL being hesitant has to do with scheduling because they have like 5 cups. They've already got a stuffed fixture list and a full-on European league with its own table happening midweek is just a nightmare for them. I do agree that IF the super league takes off its only a matter of time before EPL clubs join. A competitive European table like a league sounds awesome and exciting and I think if the product is organized properly it will be WAY more exciting than the CL. This would spell doom for any club not part of the fun.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
I don't know if it will go this far but I think UEFA has rested too much on the model and not done enough to fill people with what they want.

And part of the EPL being hesitant has to do with scheduling because they have like 5 cups. They've already got a stuffed fixture list and a full-on European league with its own table happening midweek is just a nightmare for them. I do agree that IF the super league takes off its only a matter of time before EPL clubs join. A competitive European table like a league sounds awesome and exciting and I think if the product is organized properly it will be WAY more exciting than the CL. This would spell doom for any club not part of the fun.
5 cups and make money from selling ticket and TV broadcasting rights, pay teams on how many games they play and win bonuses but if SL starts who would pay for EPL season tickets and pay for view because people don't want to see just a domestic league. The idea of SL would be good for fans who want to watch the best teams play each other.

Knowah

Jan 28, 2013
5 cups and make money from selling ticket and TV broadcasting rights, pay teams on how many games they play and win bonuses but if SL starts who would pay for EPL season tickets and pay for view because people don't want to see just a domestic league. The idea of SL would be good for fans who want to watch the best teams play each other.
I think you'll still have domestic leagues be dominant. Just like how CL hasn't changed the fact that domestic leagues are dominant.

TSL would be a more exciting CL but it's not replacing domestic leagues. Domestic cups? Maybe to the point teams literally play their rotational players there moreso than they already do. But I think domestic leagues are here to stay and be the primary focus for most clubs for a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)