The Super League part deux? (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nejc

May 13, 2006
Maybe 20 years ago. I live in a country that borders on Italy and “nobody” gives a shit about Serie A. Similar for Bundesliga but at least people rate Bayern as a top team. Real and Barcelona are obviously super popular but other than that its all EPL.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Maybe 20 years ago. I live in a country that borders on Italy and “nobody” gives a shit about Serie A. Similar for Bundesliga but at least people rate Bayern as a top team. Real and Barcelona are obviously super popular but other than that its all EPL.
I dunno, in my city I see a lot of :J:, Real and Barça merchendize, than any EPL club.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Juventus, Real and Barça (+Bayern) have more appeal than the entire EPL. Just needs better marketing.
Sadly for those 4 clubs the PL got way better marketing than those 4 clubs, mainly because of the Leagues they play in compared to.

La Liga benefitted heavily from the Messi - Ronaldo rivalry, but after that is gone they’re not gonna have the same spotlight.

PL on the other hand got clubs in the relegation battle that can easily outspend top clubs in the other 3 leagues.

Even if I do agree with you in terms of these 4 clubs having bigger appeal, then it won’t mean much when the overall league is way more popular.

PL is so far ahead that it’s gonna leave everyone behind soon, it probably already did.

Now with Man United being bought by a Sheik, Liverpool probably same it will just leave those clubs even further behind.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Sadly for those 4 clubs the PL got way better marketing than those 4 clubs, mainly because of the Leagues they play in compared to.

La Liga benefitted heavily from the Messi - Ronaldo rivalry, but after that is gone they’re not gonna have the same spotlight.

PL on the other hand got clubs in the relegation battle that can easily outspend top clubs in the other 3 leagues.

Even if I do agree with you in terms of these 4 clubs having bigger appeal, then it won’t mean much when the overall league is way more popular.

PL is so far ahead that it’s gonna leave everyone behind soon, it probably already did.

Now with Man United being bought by a Sheik, Liverpool probably same it will just leave those clubs even further behind.
I am 100% certain that by default Juve vs Real & Bayern vs Barça would draw more viewers globally than MU vs Liverpool & City vs Chelsea, if the games were played at the same hour.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I don't see it unless the product was better.

Competing with the PL in terms of world appeal is just a nearly impossible task.
I said by default, which means these clubs would have same money and similar squads in terms of strength. But to reach that default, the ESL needs to happen ASAP.

Last edited:

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
I sad by defaut, which means these clubs would have same money and similar squads in terms of strength. But to reach that default, the ESL needs to happen ASAP.
Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you, and I also see those 4 clubs as having bigger appeal than any English club 1-1 (biased yes).

Those 4 clubs should be able to make a product that can counter the PL along with other historic clubs. But it will take a long time I'm afraid.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Juventus, Real and Barça (+Bayern) have more appeal than the entire EPL. Just needs better marketing.
You talk like 'better marketing' is a small thing. That's the main reason why PL is at the level it is today. A league comprising of mostly foreign ownership.

I can agree that Barca and Real can break the EPL barrier but not the other two clubs.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
You talk like 'better marketing' is a small thing. That's the main reason why PL is at the level it is today. A league comprising of mostly foreign ownership.

I can agree that Barca and Real can break the EPL barrier but not the other two clubs.
Bayern is a massive club. Don't see why they couldn't.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Bayern is a massive club. Don't see why they couldn't.
In Germany and in some European countries. Similar situation to JJ.

They are still levels below in popularity to prem clubs.

You guys live in a Eurocentric region. EPL clubs reign supreme outside Europe.

Strickland

May 17, 2019

I think commercial revenue is the best metric to measure popularity, as both the sponsorship deals and merch sales mostly depend on how many paying fans a club has. Of course things like owners pumping money through sponsorship and when the deal was last negotiated matters too. Acc to Deloitte money league report 2023, commercial revenue looks like this, Bayern might actually be Nr1 if we assume significant portion of City and PSG commercial revenue is Qatar and Saudi investments:

PSG 383m
Bayern 378m
City 373m
Real 318m
ManU 309m
Barca 284m
Pool 275m
Spurs 215m
Chelski 209m
Juve 194m
Borussia 174m
Arse 167m
Atletico 108m
Inter 87m
Milan 87m

We're doing very poor here, we've hardly improved since we started struggling on pitch.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I think commercial revenue is the best metric to measure popularity, as both the sponsorship deals and merch sales mostly depend on how many paying fans a club has. Of course things like owners pumping money through sponsorship and when the deal was last negotiated matters too. Acc to Deloitte money league report 2023, commercial revenue looks like this, Bayern might actually be Nr1 if we assume significant portion of City and PSG commercial revenue is Qatar and Saudi investments:

PSG 383m
Bayern 378m
City 373m
Real 318m
ManU 309m
Barca 284m
Pool 275m
Spurs 215m
Chelski 209m
Juve 194m
Borussia 174m
Arse 167m
Atletico 108m
Inter 87m
Milan 87m
told ya. No one gives a shit about the Newcastles of the world. Even Benfica and Porto have more appeal lol

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016

Bayern do have a massive following in the US, I think it comes from the millions of German-Americans. Something like 40+ mio Americans have German ancestry.

Anyway, I fully agree with you that the English clubs have a bigger world appeal compared to most European clubs located in Spain, Germany and Italy.

This is not fully related, but still is somehow - colonies, colonies, colonies. The English brought their influence all over the world, Spain did so too a smaller extend.

South America is La Liga territory because of all those countries bar Brazil being former Spanish colonies, then you got Mexico as well. And Portugueese and Spanish is so heavily linked that Brazil is still a big pond for Real Madrid and Barca, history also shows that with the great players they had from there.

The PL is so massively popular because of English being the lingua franca. Anyone who speaks English no matter if he/she is from Ghana, Kenya, India, Australia, China, the US and so on can easily follow their league because of this. And they just been way better to place themselves in a good marketing position, it started with the introduction of the PL back in the early 90's. Then it really gained ground in the early 00's.

Germany and Italy are big countries with a lot of influence in Europe. Which means both Bayern and Juventus will have a huge following in Europe.

But as these two countries never had a huge influence in far away corners of the world, they couldn't/didn't set a culture mark there. Germany and Italy did have colonies, but it was in such a short time span that it didn't matter much in world history and they were too few compared to Britain, Spain, France etc.

Speaking of France, Ligue 1 could have a great product with all the French speaking countries in Africa. They never capitalized on that.

Bayern Munich and Juventus are huge clubs in their own right, but Italian and German is not huge world wide languages, but in stead have lots of influence in Europa. This is no doubt making it harder for them to challenge the PL monopoly.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Bayern do have a massive following in the US, I think it comes from the millions of German-Americans. Something like 40+ mio Americans have German ancestry.

Anyway, I fully agree with you that the English clubs have a bigger world appeal compared to most European clubs located in Spain, Germany and Italy.

This is not fully related, but still is somehow - colonies, colonies, colonies. The English brought their influence all over the world, Spain did so too a smaller extend.

South America is La Liga territory because of all those countries bar Brazil being former Spanish colonies, then you got Mexico as well. And Portugueese and Spanish is so heavily linked that Brazil is still a big pond for Real Madrid and Barca, history also shows that with the great players they had from there.

The PL is so massively popular because of English being the lingua franca. Anyone who speaks English no matter if he/she is from Ghana, Kenya, India, Australia, China, the US and so on can easily follow their league because of this. And they just been way better to place themselves in a good marketing position, it started with the introduction of the PL back in the early 90's. Then it really gained ground in the early 00's.

Germany and Italy are big countries with a lot of influence in Europe. Which means both Bayern and Juventus will have a huge following in Europe.

But as these two countries never had a huge influence in far away corners of the world, they couldn't/didn't set a culture mark there. Germany and Italy did have colonies, but it was in such a short time span that it didn't matter much in world history and they were too few compared to Britain, Spain, France etc.

Speaking of France, Ligue 1 could have a great product with all the French speaking countries in Africa. They never capitalized on that.

Bayern Munich and Juventus are huge clubs in their own right, but Italian and German is not huge world wide languages, but in stead have lots of influence in Europa. This is no doubt making it harder for them to challenge the PL monopoly.
They don't really need to have established colonies to have influence. Italians were in the top 5 immigrant groups to the United States from 1910 through 1980, and that's just legal immigration. A huge percentage of Americans on both coasts have Italian ancestry.

https://www.pewresearch.org/hispani...rants-has-changed-in-the-states-1850-to-2013/

The league needs to do a lot better with marketing.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
They don't really need to have established colonies to have influence. Italians were in the top 5 immigrant groups to the United States from 1910 through 1980, and that's just legal immigration. A huge percentage of Americans on both coasts have Italian ancestry.

https://www.pewresearch.org/hispani...rants-has-changed-in-the-states-1850-to-2013/

The league needs to do a lot better with marketing.
But best way to have influence is through spreading your culture over the world like it happened back then. Then you make sure they all speak your language

Hence it’s easy to follow the PL because of English being the World language.

German and Italian no doubt have a harder time in terms of marketing because they’re mostly centered around Europe and their own region.

I know many Italians together with Germans arrived in the US, my point is they might follow a club from their ancestors country, but this is only speaking of the US. Not like German and Italians got their influence all over the world like the others.

There for I don’t see how it’s possible to break the PL monopoly as of now. Marketing is fine, but you can’t change a market thats already so one sided towards the Brits.

They have all the money, all the influence because everyone speaks English, all the fans and the marketing.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
They need to market their product in English obviously. And do away with shit like have Italians commentate on their games who speak only passable English.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
But best way to have influence is through spreading your culture over the world like it happened back then. Then you make sure they all speak your language

Hence it’s easy to follow the PL because of English being the World language.

German and Italian no doubt have a harder time in terms of marketing because they’re mostly centered around Europe and their own region.

I know many Italians together with Germans arrived in the US, my point is they might follow a club from their ancestors country, but this is only speaking of the US. Not like German and Italians got their influence all over the world like the others.

There for I don’t see how it’s possible to break the PL monopoly as of now. Marketing is fine, but you can’t change a market thats already so one sided towards the Brits.

They have all the money, all the influence because everyone speaks English, all the fans and the marketing.
I agree with all you said above but it's not an unsurmountable situation in most cases except when you have a federation like FIGC which is too busy cutting off it's nose to spite it's face. Instead of:
  • Making sure all stadiums are updated
  • Getting a top notch Audio Video team (Condition in broadcasting rights)
  • Getting really good commentators in top market countries in native language/english (Condition in broadcasting rights)
These would go a long way in making it more enjoyable to watching Serie A. A good package presented properly can make a drab game look good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)