South American Football (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
It won't die because Brazil and Argentina will always be the top 2 biggest producers in Football and that won't change. Not anytime soon anyway.

But that's what it's become, just a factory. We produce the best and ship them off. It's like fruits and vegetable, the best ones are exported, the not up to standard ones stay.

Add that to the fact Europeans are getting them younger than ever now and globalization has played it's part in fueling the necessity of European success to those kids.

I call it the last breath because in terms of building a top team again with high level players - which we clearly have (SA in general) - won't happen again. Those kids have nothing to gain by staying in their continent. It's the sad truth.

- - - Updated - - -

SA football was still so good around the turn of the century. So many damn good players remained in those leagues, or returned to them before they had already become senior citizens. It was awesome to see them competing with and beating the European elite.

Sometimes I wish some Qatari princes or Russian billionaires would buy a few teams from down in SA and return those leagues to relevance. A Club World Cup that was competitive each year would be awesome.

That Intercontinental Cup way back when was so good. Estudiantes absolutely mangling the Milanese in the home leg they played in 1969. There's a video of the match on Youtube. Brutal. :lol:

Or the 1980s where SA teams won all but three editions. The 1985 Juventus-Argentinos Juniors match, 2-2, won with penalties by Juve.

And then 96, the 1-0 Juve win over River, with DPs goal in the 81st minute to win the match. :heart:

Sao Paulo's back to back wins over Barca 2-1, and Milan 3-2 in 92 and 93. Müller scoring the winning goal in the 88th minute against Milan.

So good. Where'd you go SA football :(
When i say Brazil is the Italy of SA it's for many reasons. One is that we didn't give a shit about Libertadores or anything continental. We were too proud of our own shit and Série A was the trophy everybody sought after.

We left it to the Argentines and Uruguayans Until comes São Paulo in the early 90's (Yes, that team that Guardiola praises so much) and changed everything. They beat Cruyff's managed-Barcelona by putting an amazing display.

Buy on AliExpress.com

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013

Rivelino "The quality of the number 10 in the past like me and you had, it's gone nowadays "

Maradona "The number 10 that carried his team on his shoulders and took it to the next level with his technique, quality and intelligence, it's vanishing"

Rivelino "No, it's not vanishing, it is gone."

@X, Who are we to disagree?

You should watch this whole interview when you have the time, it's pretty interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

zurdos for life! im a zurdo myself :p
There aren't many zurdos (canhoto in Portuguese) nowadays, huh? I can't recall too many. Messi? Robben? Hulk?

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
silva i think is a leftie, van persie
Probably more than i thought. There's one part of the interview where Rivelino makes a good point about how poor Football has become.

He says for the last 6,7 years when the question "Who's the best player in the world?" is asked there are only two answers, Ronaldo or Messi, every year. While in the past it was an ever changing scenario, there were too many good players who at one point or another were better than anybody else. Then he aks " Nowadays what happened to everybody else?" :D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Remember that classic Bergkamp goal against Newcastle (I think)? Amazing, sure. But it was more luck than anything, he clearly didn't mean to do that. Still amazing, of course. Now Edmundo on the other hand meant it.

[/QUOTE]

Oh come on, that was a masterpiece, Dennis clearly knew what he was doing in that goal.
It won't die because Brazil and Argentina will always be the top 2 biggest producers in Football and that won't change. Not anytime soon anyway.
Spain says hi.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
No, he didn't. He was hit by the ball.

Even France produces more talent than Spain.

I'm guessing you didn't watch Bergkamp play that often, the guy was supremely talented, and if anyone could pull off a trick like that it was him. It was a lot more sublime than the Edmundo one for sure.

France produces a larger quantity of players, and there is also a lot of wasted talent, there are a lot of talented youngsters coming out of the Ligue all the time. However in terms of quality, the players Spain has been producing, and is producing right now is amazing. Look at the current crop of players who are 23 or younger; Koke, Isco, Rodrigo, Mario Suarez, Jese, Thiago Alcantara etc. I mean obviously I don't watch the Brazilian league, but are Brazil really producing quality players right now? I certainly don't see that in the NT.

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
I'm guessing you didn't watch Bergkamp play that often, the guy was supremely talented, and if anyone could pull off a trick like that it was him. It was a lot more sublime than the Edmundo one for sure.

France produces a larger quantity of players, and there is also a lot of wasted talent, there are a lot of talented youngsters coming out of the Ligue all the time. However in terms of quality, the players Spain has been producing, and is producing right now is amazing. Look at the current crop of players who are 23 or younger; Koke, Isco, Rodrigo, Mario Suarez, Jese, Thiago Alcantara etc. I mean obviously I don't watch the Brazilian league, but are Brazil really producing quality players right now? I certainly don't see that in the NT.
Of course i've watched Bergkamp, he's from my generation of players, late 80's early 90's. I knew him all the way back from Ajax, not Arsenal. My brother-in-law was the biggest Ajax fan in the 80's and 90's. He was one of my favorites.

Well, it might have looked more sublime, which i think it did, but it wasn't intentional. At least Edmundo meant to do that.

Well, sure. If we go by number of players, even both Brazil and Argentina would lose for obvious reasons. There are more European players in Europe than SAs. And the French are everywhere, especially in the EPL as you well know. But judging number + quality, i'd put both Brazil and Argentina at the top right next to Germany.

That crop of players was the same that didn't win a single match at the Olympics, Rodrigo, Thiago, Muniain, etc. And that gives you an idea of what's to come of Spain in the future. The current generation is done. Except for Thiago who i find to be an exceptional player and Isco who's grown a lot, all the other you mentioned are pretty average. Nothing special.

Always, my friend. Of course it takes time for a player to make a name for himself. A player like Firmino was completely unknown not too long ago.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Of course i've watched Bergkamp, he's from my generation of players, late 80's early 90's. I knew him all the way back from Ajax, not Arsenal. My brother-in-law was the biggest Ajax fan in the 80's and 90's. He was one of my favorites.

Well, it might have looked more sublime, which i think it did, but it wasn't intentional. At least Edmundo meant to do that.

Well, sure. If we go by number of players, even both Brazil and Argentina would lose for obvious reasons. There are more European players in Europe than SAs. And the French are everywhere, especially in the EPL as you well know. But judging number + quality, i'd put both Brazil and Argentina at the top right next to Germany.

That crop of players was the same that didn't win a single match at the Olympics, Rodrigo, Thiago, Muniain, etc. And that gives you an idea of what's to come of Spain in the future. The current generation is done. Except for Thiago who i find to be an exceptional player and Isco who's grown a lot, all the other you mentioned are pretty average. Nothing special.

Always, my friend. Of course it takes time for a player to make a name for himself. A player like Firmino was completely unknown not too long ago.
I was talking about quality more than numbers actually. Could you piece together a Brazil squad that is as good in terms of individuals as Spain? Look at some of the players that get called up to the Brazilian NT, some of them would barely make it to Spain's B team.

As for young Spanish players, I wouldn't call Koke average, the guy has been Atletico's most consistent player for the past year and a half now. One of the best players in the Liga without a doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)