New Azzurri coach (11 Viewers)

Who would you like as new Azzurri coach?

• Trap should stay

• Fabio Capello

• Marcello Lippi

• Luigi Del Neri

• Dino Zoff

• Carlos Bianchi

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
Former Italy boss Azeglio Vicini could return to the national fold to assist Gianluca Vialli - if Giovanni Trapattoni is sacked.

Reports suggest that Vialli could be hired as the next Azzurri boss, in which he would be aided by Vicini. A suggestion that meets with the approval of the latter.

"I am ready to give a helping hand if I’m asked," said the former Udinese boss. "But I would not want any Coaching responsibilities. I would simply act like a club director."

However, Vicini failed to pass judgement on whether Vialli – who he Coached during the 1990 World Cup – would be an appropriate replacement for the under-fire Trap.

"I can’t really comment on whether I think Gianluca is suitable to become the next Italy boss," he added.

"I remember him as a player and admired him as a Coach, but it is not up to me to suggest whether he can solve Italy’s problems."

The former Sampdoria and Juventus player does seem a long shot for the post. But Vicini has dispelled claims that Vialli wouldn’t be able to take over because he does not hold the necessary Coaching badge.

"As far as his Coaching licence is concerned, there are different rules to the Italian championship," Vicini, the head of the Coaches Association, added.

"The Italian Football Federation is like a government in many senses, it can do what it wants."

Meanwhile, Azzurri star man Alessandro Del Piero has responded diplomatically to questions surrounding the possible appointment of Vialli as Coach.

"He is a friend of mine," said the Juventus No 10. "But please don’t ask me these types of questions which put me in a difficult position."

Vialli and Del Piero played alongside each other at Juventus in the 1990s.

The only other real candidates for the Italy post at this present time are Dino Zoff and Alberto Zaccheroni.

Football Italia

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
true, but theyw ere xpected to be promotion challengers and in the end they faded in to lazio style midtableness!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)