Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (73 Viewers)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Just finished watching Locke. loved it. Tom Hardy was absolutely amazing and delivered an Oscar worthy performance I don't think many actors could of carried a film like this the way he did and don't think there are many actors out there better than him right now. Sadly I don't think he will get the recognition he deserves for this because of the type of film that it is.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Berserk 1, 2, 3 - (anime movie) I really, really liked it.

Seven Samurai - Great movie.

Amadeus - I hate the opera but I liked this movie. Pretty fun to see the backstage of Mozart's life.

The Seventh Seal - What a load of shit.

Schindler's List - Brilliant.

The Last Samurai - Pretty good, really entertaining and enjoyable. I'd say Tom Cruise is pretty underrated.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Yeah, I read some comments about it. And some parts were obvious too :D

But it was still pretty decent.
Yeah it's a good movie, liked it too. It's just that there are probably way too many people (not you) taking the plot for real, especially considering that after Inglorious Basterds a shockingly high number of people though Hitler really died in a cinema :lol:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Peter Sellers was a $#@! in real life, but as an actor he was one of the greatest comedic actors of the 20th century hands-down.
I have a few vinyl records of The Goon Show, that BBC radio comedy where he got his start. So hilarious. Sellers is top of the pile for me when it comes to 20th century comedic actors.

- - - Updated - - -

Berserk 1, 2, 3 - (anime movie) I really, really liked it.

Seven Samurai - Great movie.

The Seventh Seal - What a load of $#@!.
I only like a few anime, but Berserk was one of them, wild show. The anime series might be even better than the films, though the second and third film were pretty cool. Howl's Moving Castle and Grave of the Fireflies are probably my two favourite anime films.

For Bergman, Hour of the Wolf or Persona are my preferences. I was never really all that into The Seventh Seal.

And in reality, I've always preferred Tarkovsky to Bergman. Stalker is one of the most brilliant films ever made.

- - - Updated - - -

Persona - It's a brilliant idea, daring cinematography and difficult not to appreciate. Didn't get as much involved as I did when I saw, say Wild Strawberries, though.

Solaris - My least favorite Tarkovsky so far. Of course it's still absolutely brilliant, but I wasn't as mesmerized as when I saw Stalker and Mirror.
Wild Strawberries. I've been meaning to watch it for years. It's sitting on an external hard drive I have with a bunch of other unwatched films. Better than Persona makes for a pretty brilliant film.

Solaris is my least favourite Tarkovsky as well. My list of for his films would go something like:

1)Stalker
2)Nostalghia (admittedly, not as "good" a film as the next two, but something about it seduces me, entirely)
3)The Sacrifice
4)The Mirror
5)Andrei Rublev
6)Ivan's Childhood
7)Solaris

2 through 4 are likely interchangeable dependent on which I've watched most recently.

Have you seen any Béla Tarr films? Werckmeister Harmonies, perhaps? Brilliant. Reminds me a bit of Tarkovsky.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Yeah I wanna check out Wild Strawberries next.

As for Berserk :boh: my friend told me anime is not that good. He said manga and movies are way better. I'm too lazy to read manga, way too much stuff came out.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember Hoori mentioned Shame (Bergman) as one of her fav movies.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Yeah. It was more so the first film. The animation seemed a little funky. The next two seemed to correct that issue though. The TV show is certainly dated at this point. Have you seen any of that new anime, Attack on Titan? Crazy show. I'm really enjoying it.

Shame is a pretty good film. I think I prefer The Passion of Anna to it, for similar works by Bergman.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I started watching Attack on Titan when it came out and I watched some episodes. I liked the idea and it was really unique, but I've decided to stop watching it because I hated to wait week for one episode :D so I left it grow. I'll catch up eventually.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I watched the live-action adaptation and it is pretty great. They are making another 2 with Shishio as the main villain :tuttosport:.
Two more of them?!?! Crazy. That film was quite entertaining. Have you seen the film Goemon? Not based on a manga like Rurouni Kenshin, instead kind of historical fantasy, but it's of similar ilk, and super entertaining too.

- - - Updated - - -

I started watching Attack on Titan when it came out and I watched some episodes. I liked the idea and it was really unique, but I've decided to stop watching it because I hated to wait week for one episode :D so I left it grow. I'll catch up eventually.
25 episodes are available now if I remember correctly... So that's kind of great. Apparently, a second season is pretty likely also. And I think a live-action film is going to show up as well, next year sometime. It will be interesting to see how they FX the giants, and just how brutal and graphic a live action version would be, considering the show.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Yeah I wanna check out Wild Strawberries next.
That's what I was going to suggest. It's much more relatable, emotionally involving and even conventional. Still feels like a Bergman film though. I'm not a big fan of The Seventh Seal either.

For Bergman, Hour of the Wolf or Persona are my preferences. I was never really all that into The Seventh Seal.
Wild Strawberries. I've been meaning to watch it for years. It's sitting on an external hard drive I have with a bunch of other unwatched films. Better than Persona makes for a pretty brilliant film.
Persona is probably the more impressive film. It's definitely more daring. It just didn't speak to me on a personal level like Wild Strawberries.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
That's what I was going to suggest. It's much more relatable, emotionally involving and even conventional. Still feels like a Bergman film though. I'm not a big fan of The Seventh Seal either.

Persona is probably the more impressive film. It's definitely more daring. It just didn't speak to me on a personal level like Wild Strawberries.
I watched it and I pretty much agree with everything you said there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 72)