Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (22 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
have you seen 'captain salvation'?
I finally got around to watching this. The story seems like it could be a fifth segment of Griffiths' Intolerance. Pauline Stark as Bess was just brilliant. It's interesting to see such subjects as rape, prostitution, incest, etc brought up in this era, but I suppose it was made before the film industry really started strict regulations and censorship in the '30s. It probably would never have been made in the '30s and '40s. The ship as a den of torture, vice, and inequity was an interesting twist.

Thanks for the recommendation. An excellent silent film.

- - - Updated - - -

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
Got around to watching the newest X-Men flick. As far as superhero movies go, the latest Batman trilogy withstanding, this is as good as it gets.
I liked the movie, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you when you say its as good as it gets, I thought Avengers was better and The guardians of Galaxy definitely was much more fun as well.

The scene with quicksilver was awesome though!

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I liked the movie, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you when you say its as good as it gets, I thought Avengers was better and The guardians of Galaxy definitely was much more fun as well.

The scene with quicksilver was awesome though!
I thought The Avengers was terrible. The X-Men flick is, atleast, a bit story driven. As opposed to the Avengers that used an incredibly weak plot just to set the stage for epic CGI.

People said that here, which dissapointed me when the movie finished. It was fine, but non of the latest superhero movies come close to 'The Dark Knight' and 'Watchmen'.
Forgot about Watchmen, that one is great - not just as a superhero movie. Oh, and that's why I wrote Batman not included, since it's unfair to judge any superhero movies by that standard. I'm just relieved that I finally watched a superhero movie, after a couple of years of sighing, that actually got me a bit excited.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Godzilla, wow, really bad, couldn't endure the first hour.

Draft Day was ok, Costner fits the role perfectly
after it wanted more sports movies and went with Coach Carter, was cool as well.
can anyone recommend me some more cheesy sports flicks?

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Godzilla was actually alright for the first 40 minutes imo, as far as this genre goes (if you expect complex character work or sophisticated dialogue you wouldn't watch a Godzilla movie anyways).

Afterwards it got really random though, and not in a good way.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Glengarry Glen Ross is seriously overlooked. You don't get dialogue much better than this, and with a cast of Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin and Alec Baldwin it can't go wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)