Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (80 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Some short reviews, I don't even know if I mentioned these before

The Searchers - Great movie, I really enjoyed it.

Felon - Interesting, but nothing special.

Stardust - Great, full of magic. It brings me back to childhood

Howl's Moving Castle - Amazing. I watched it twice in like one week.

High Noon - Bad ass.

Mr. Brooks - Meh, interesting and decent at best.

Spirited Away - Brilliant.

Hero - Once you decide to ignore jumping on the buildings, walking on the water and dodging thousands of arrows it's really amazing. Pretty deep and great.

Ghost in the Shell - Confusing and great. I see from where Matrix came up with the ideas.

Cesare Deve Morire - Not bad. Kinda unique so I liked it.

Stalker - .

It's a Wonderful Life - Brilliant movie.

Amarcord - Pretty shit.
A great collection. Howl's Moving Castle is probably my favorite of the Studio Ghibli films I've seen so far. Now what did you think of Stalker? :D

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
A great collection. Howl's Moving Castle is probably my favorite of the Studio Ghibli films I've seen so far. Now what did you think of Stalker? :D
Yeah, I totally loved it, but I want to see more work from Miyazaki. It's crazy how creative the guy is.

I'll post later, busy right now.

Oh and I also watched 12 Angry Men today and I loved it.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Yeah, I totally loved it, but I want to see more work from Miyazaki. It's crazy how creative the guy is.

I'll post later, busy right now.

Oh and I also watched 12 Angry Men today and I loved it.
Yeah, I can't see how you can't like 12 Angry Men. Screenplays don't get a lot better.

- - - Updated - - -

Your first two Miyazaki movies?

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I watched Princess Mononoke but as a kid, I was maybe 10, so I don't remember anything. I'm planning to watch that and My Neighbor Totoro. Anything else?
I'm no expert on this subject, but Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Castle in the Sky seem like must-sees too (both on IMDb top 250). Haven't watched them yet though. You should also watch The Wind Rises. It's perhaps his most mature and serious movie. There are no supernatural creatures in it either.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I'm no expert on this subject, but Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Castle in the Sky seem like must-sees too (both on IMDb top 250). Haven't watched them yet though. You should also watch The Wind Rises. It's perhaps his most mature and serious movie. There are no supernatural creatures in it either.
I'll probably watch all :D just a matter of time and convincing my brother to give it a go. I don't mind the creatures. In those 2 movies I loved it if anything.

The guy is really something. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's crazy a bit :D

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Just watched Neighbours and actually really enjoyed it Seth Rogand Zach Efron actually make a great comedy due and then i watched Starred up. Good movie but couldnt help but feel Jack O'Connel was copying some of his acting from Tom Hardy in Bronson.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I don't know what to say or think about it. I've been thinking but not much comes to my head as I've never seen a movie like that one. At the same time I could say it's brilliant and agree with those who call it art but at the same time I could agree with those who hate it. I think calling it a philosophical movie a bit out of line as philosophy is far more deeper and offers different dialogs. What this movie offered was a unique experience from a poet & painter IMO. It leaves you to think how you'd define a world where you're living, trying to figure out the puzzle and pictures seen in the water, gun being thrown away in order to fulfill you wish -- which is exactly why I see Tarkovskiy as a poet. Do I regret seeing it? Not at all. How would I rate it? I honestly have no idea.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I don't know what to say or think about it. I've been thinking but not much comes to my head as I've never seen a movie like that one. At the same time I could say it's brilliant and agree with those who call it art but at the same time I could agree with those who hate it. I think calling it a philosophical movie a bit out of line as philosophy is far more deeper and offers different dialogs. What this movie offered was a unique experience from a poet & painter IMO. It leaves you to think how you'd define a world where you're living, trying to figure out the puzzle and pictures seen in the water, gun being thrown away in order to fulfill you wish -- which is exactly why I see Tarkovskiy as a poet. Do I regret seeing it? Not at all. How would I rate it? I honestly have no idea.
Which movie? Andrea Rublev? Sounds really interesting.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
At least it made an impression. :) I'd agree and say that it's much better to call Tarkovsky a poet instead of a philosopher. What I meant when I called it philosophical was that it raises philosophical questions, not that it's plays like philosophy. But it's definitely one of a kind. And a movie that makes you think.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Gonna do a Dule classic:

Muscle Shoals - Fairly ordinary documentary, but interesting look at a music studio that brought a lot of good soul music back in the days.

Manhattan - Unlike many other Allen movies, I find this one hard to love. It's hard to deny Allen's writing skills though.

High Plains Drifter - Unlike the 3 year younger The Outlaw Josey Wales, this Clint Eastwood feels dated. It's surprisingly mediocre.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - It's not as good as Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and it's a bit too straightforward. Still fine entertainment though.

The Adjustment Bureau - Interesting idea drowns in Hollywood mediocrity.

Larry Crowne - It's frightening to think that Hanks actually directed this himself. It's horrible.

Persona - It's a brilliant idea, daring cinematography and difficult not to appreciate. Didn't get as much involved as I did when I saw, say Wild Strawberries, though.

Solaris - My least favorite Tarkovsky so far. Of course it's still absolutely brilliant, but I wasn't as mesmerized as when I saw Stalker and Mirror.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'm putting this here on the list since the haters in the Robin Williams death thread have no appreciation for great performances. :stuckup:

Stanley Kubrick's version of Lolita - Not the best movie in terms of content, but Peter Sellers is absolute madass acting genius in this. There's manic behavior that predates one of the main themes of Robin Williams' stand-up act by two decades. It's rare to find a comedic performance from an actor that just blows you away watching just that much of it.

Jul 10, 2006
Romancing the stone- Decent movie.
I haven't seen that since i was like 11 or 12 but I really used to like it way back then.

It's a fun adventure movie.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm putting this here on the list since the haters in the Robin Williams death thread have no appreciation for great performances. :stuckup:

Stanley Kubrick's version of Lolita - Not the best movie in terms of content, but Peter Sellers is absolute madass acting genius in this. There's manic behavior that predates one of the main themes of Robin Williams' stand-up act by two decades. It's rare to find a comedic performance from an actor that just blows you away watching just that much of it.
Peter Sellers was great in just about everything. He died way too soon at 54.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 73)