Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (195 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Agreed. We need a Genghis Khan!
Here he is (srs):
johnwayne-art.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

OH PLEASE GOD YES. If that happend, it would be so epic. I knew a few top notch books they can base it on. But they would have to do it real authentic, no english mumbo jumbo ;)

Seeing this on a weekly basis :tuttosport:

I've been thinking about watching that a few times. Is it good?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I remember reading the comics that movie is based on when I was a little boy. :touched: The movie is a bit of a cult classic here, though I honestly don't remember how good it is.
Totally understand its "cult classic" status. It's pretty entertaining, quite amusing really. I saw it a 20 years ago probably, fond childhood memories of it. I should check it out again sometime. For some reason, I remember it being a bit like Sword in the Stone, the Disney version, in that goofy sort of way. I think a couple Disney animators were involved.

- - - Updated - - -

:tup:

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Here he is (srs):

- - - Updated - - -

I've been thinking about watching that a few times. Is it good?
Yeah its good, it could been better, but in overall its fairly raw and well done, I have to thank the russians for doing it. Mongols dont have their own film industry, and they are generally shown as the only the villains in Korean/chinese movies, manchurians were badass lol, and not so much as a full story about them in general.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Yeah its good, it could been better, but in overall its fairly raw and well done, I have to thank the russians for doing it. Mongols dont have their own film industry, and they are generally shown as the only the villains in Korean/chinese movies, manchurians were badass lol, and not so much as a full story about them in general.
Which one is that? This? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416044/

- - - Updated - - -

you were too quick :p tried to recommend it to Dule, and we really should discuss it it is really scary how much the mongols and their invasions have changed the world, could possibly be on of the most dramatic historical events.
Is there any other site with that podcast? :D

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
you were too quick :p tried to recommend it to Dule, and we really should discuss it it is really scary how much the mongols and their invasions have changed the world, could possibly be on of the most dramatic historical events.
Yeah we should, will need to re-listen to it though, also his WW2 stuff is fairly good, he is bit all over the place thought process wise, but very compelling dude for sure.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Yes, its good, not entirely historical accurate, but fairly good.

I also recommend you read a book series about the Mongols/Khans, its very nice and unusal piece of historical fiction, a great tale the western world generally dont touch.

http://www.conniggulden.com/books/series/the-conqueror-series
I can't buy anything online, but I'll try too keep that in mind. :D Anyway, I'm obsessed with books at the moment, I think I have like 100 books waiting for me. But I'd really love to read that.

- - - Updated - - -

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Its available in any major book outlet, he is one of the best selling authors in historical fiction with books about Rome/the Caesars, first kingdoms of England and Mongols, so if your town has an english bookstore (which it should have), then he's work is bound to be there.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Its available in any major book outlet, he is one of the best selling authors in historical fiction with books about Rome/the Caesars, first kingdoms of England and Mongols, so if your town has an english bookstore (which it should have), then he's work is bound to be there.
Great to hear. I'll recommend it to my friend, he's starting history this year and he loves Rome. He read some Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield and he liked it.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Gates of fire is splendid indeed. Spartans are most interesting warrior breed to read about in historical fiction, them and the Mongols (Samurai's too, mainly Miyamoto Musashi).

If he likes Roman era, then he will be spoilt with books to read, I read 30-40 historical fiction books about Rome's republic/empire days, its way too much to choose from hehe. More political ones are more interesting (about Cicero, Tiberius etc), even if Legionary ones can be good, if you can avoid some of the gazilion hack writers that write in that action genre section of Roman fiction.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
Have you seen Pastrone's 1914 silent film Cabiria? It's about the Second Punic War between Rome and Carthage and is quite entertaining IMO. Find the 2006 restoration as the earlier ones are terrible.

Fritz Lang's two part adaptation of Die Nibelungen is quite brilliant. There was also a 1960s adaptation of this story that is terrible and then a 2004 adaptation called Dark Kingdom that wasn't so bad.

There was a 1968 German-French-Italian-Yugoslav production of The Odyssey that's pretty good too. L'Odissea.

1986 Danish animated film called Valhalla that's pretty neat as a novelty.
You're the man! Gonna look them up this weekend.

There was a point in my life when i was obsessed with Fritz Lang and German Expressionism. But i never got to watch Die Nibelungen.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I'd love to see some Norse stuff, like Vikings. Their history is great but sadly no good movies about it or at least I haven't heard about it.
Have you seen The Raven Trilogy? Three films from Iceland made in the 80s and 90s about the Vikings that were quite good. They won a few awards. When The Raven Flies is the first film.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 189)