Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (73 Viewers)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Valhalla Rising must be the worst movie.
I can see why most people would hate it but i just got really into it from the start i watched it at like 4am after smoking a few joints. Tbh im not sure i could watch it any other way because like most of if not all of Nicolas Winding Refn's movies there are long scenes with nothing happening but the soundtrack had me gripped and on edge most of the time. I actually listend yo the soundtrack again after when i was falling asleep and at one point it near gave me a heart attack i jumpd up out of my bed like a salmon leaping out of water.

- - - Updated - - -

Was that new film about Moses with Russel Crow any good?

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I can see why most people would hate it but i just got really into it from the start i watched it at like 4am after smoking a few joints. Tbh im not sure i could watch it any other way because like most of is not all of Nicolas Winding Refn's movies there are long scenes with nothing happening but the soundtrack had be gripped and on edge most of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Was that new film about Moses with Russel Crow any good?
Old testament with a hollywood lovestory twist? You guess if it's any good :p

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Ok i think i'll pass :D
I almost never go to the cinema, but I went for this one because The Fountain was visually spectacular and epic old testament through Aronofsky's writing and Clint Mansell doing the soundtrack couldn't go wrong. It really could - lame CGI, meh soundtrack and piss poor script.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
watched xmen: days of future past

meh movie. plot was weird as hell, and besides one 2 cool action scenes, the whole movie was boring. avoid

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
Valhalla Rising was awesome imo but its not for everyone. Its from the director of Drive and Bronson. Im sure youve seen all the main stream ones Gladiator, Troy, kingdom of heaven etc.

I liked the tv series Vikings and Rome and i loved Spartacus. Disneys Prince of Egypt was good too when i was younger :D

Im sure you have seen the classics like Spartacus as well. Thats pretty much all i can think of off the top of my head if theres any good ones anyone else knows let me know because i love this sort of stuff.
Yeah, i've seen all those including Valhalla Rising which was a good movie IMO, weird as fuck and slow paced. I'm a Kubrick guy and i like me those long scenes with nothing happening. ;) Try this one : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/

I'm looking for more obscure and unknown ones, if anyone knows anything please share.

Hmm off the top of my head some ancient civilizations/mythology movies i can recommend are Mongol, Apocalypto, Excalibur (the one released in 81') and Red Cliff I and II.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Yeah, i've seen all those including Valhalla Rising which was a good movie IMO, weird as fuck and slow paced. I'm a Kubrick guy and i like me those long scenes with nothing happening. ;) Try this one : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/

I'm looking for more obscure and unknown ones, if anyone knows anything please share.

Hmm off the top of my head some ancient civilizations/mythology movies i can recommend are Mongol, Apocalypto, Excalibur (the one released in 81') and Red Cliff I and II.
Ive seen them all and really liked them especially Apocolypto. I will check out stalker im a Kubric fan myself.

I only recently found out that the Coen brothers’O Brother Where Art Thou is a modern satirical retelling of Homer’s Odyssey although its a good movie im pretty sure it aint what your looking for :D

I was gutted when Mel Gibson had to scrap plans to make his Viking movie with leonardo Di Caprio no doubt it would of been awesome.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
Mel Gibson is a hell of a director, i'm sure it would have been amazing.

Oh, if you're into Kubrick as much as i am, there's a director who's heavily influenced by his style or at least he was in this movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441395/

Don't mind the rating or people saying shit. Some movies aren't just for everyone, it doesn't touch them the way it does other people, this is one of them. I can't guarantee you'll feel what i felt though, you'll either love it to death or hate every part of it.

but as i said, if you're a Kubrick #nohomolover#, it'll blow your mind the fact this has him written all over it.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Yeah, i've seen all those including Valhalla Rising which was a good movie IMO, weird as $#@! and slow paced. I'm a Kubrick guy and i like me those long scenes with nothing happening. ;) Try this one : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/

You're looking for more obscure/unknown films of what sort? The long tracking shot types, where nothing happens?

Bela Tarr. Check out his films. Werckmeister Harmonies is my favourite. One of the best ever made. Satantango is a 7 hour masterpiece. The Turin Horse, The Man From London, Damnation... He's made quite a few stunning films. They have this aesthetic of a highly personalized, and very sedate post-apocalytic landscape--narrative. I don't know why, but it works.

Gábor Bódy's Narcissus and Psyche is another film, 4 hours or so, with that fabulous German Udo Kier playing one of the leads. Despair and isolation in a sense, and behind the narrative is lurking the history of Europe in the 19th century. Really interesting story, and beautiful cinematography.

A lot of Eastern European arthouse cinema is good for that. Lopushansky, Bartas, Tarkovsky, Tarr, Bódy, Sukorov, and so on. Some do it well, others, poorly.

With films quite a bit more cluttered, I highly recommend Wojciech Jerzy Has. The man was a genius. The Hourglass Sanatorium and Saragossa Manuscript are both amazing films, and so wonderfully bizarre.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
You're looking for more obscure/unknown films of what sort? The long tracking shot types, where nothing happens?

Bela Tarr. Check out his films. Werckmeister Harmonies is my favourite. One of the best ever made. Satantango is a 7 hour masterpiece. The Turin Horse, The Man From London, Damnation... He's made quite a few stunning films. They have this aesthetic of a highly personalized, and very sedate post-apocalytic landscape--narrative. I don't know why, but it works.

Gábor Bódy's Narcissus and Psyche is another film, 4 hours or so, with that fabulous German Udo Kier playing one of the leads. Despair and isolation in a sense, and behind the narrative is lurking the history of Europe in the 19th century. Really interesting story, and beautiful cinematography.

A lot of Eastern European arthouse cinema is good for that. Lopushansky, Bartas, Tarkovsky, Tarr, Bódy, Sukorov, and so on. Some do it well, others, poorly.

With films quite a bit more cluttered, I highly recommend Wojciech Jerzy Has. The man was a genius. The Hourglass Sanatorium and Saragossa Manuscript are both amazing films, and so wonderfully bizarre.
This sort:

I Need recommendations on good Ancient Rome/Egypt and/or Greek/Nordic Mythology movies. I've probably seen most of them but try me.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011

7 fucking hours. You can get high on shrooms and have the effect wear off in that time.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Have you seen Pastrone's 1914 silent film Cabiria? It's about the Second Punic War between Rome and Carthage and is quite entertaining IMO. Find the 2006 restoration as the earlier ones are terrible.

Fritz Lang's two part adaptation of Die Nibelungen is quite brilliant. There was also a 1960s adaptation of this story that is terrible and then a 2004 adaptation called Dark Kingdom that wasn't so bad.

There was a 1968 German-French-Italian-Yugoslav production of The Odyssey that's pretty good too. L'Odissea.

1986 Danish animated film called Valhalla that's pretty neat as a novelty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 63)