Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (52 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I have to admit that the only reason I got turned on to Metropolis was because of the "Radio GaGa" video, and for the longest time the only version I knew of the film was the Giorgio Moroder hack job back in the 80's.
That version is such a hack job. :inter:

Have you seen Dr Mabuse? It is perhaps his second best film, although the run time can be difficult for some people at 270 minutes. Brilliant film though, I saw it at a retrospective at a local repertory theatre several years ago, and then just recently it was up on MUBI.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
That version is such a hack job. :inter:

Have you seen Dr Mabuse? It is perhaps his second best film, although the run time can be difficult for some people at 270 minutes. Brilliant film though, I saw it at a retrospective at a local repertory theatre several years ago, and then just recently it was up on MUBI.
I have to be honest with you. Aside from Metropolis and Birth of a Nation, I have not seen any other silent films.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
have you seen the naked prey?
Directed by, produced by, and starring Cornel Wilde. Multi-talented man. I love the lack of dialogue in that film. A rather cruel film.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to be honest with you. Aside from Metropolis and Birth of a Nation, I have not seen any other silent films.
Not always easy to find, and one has to have the time and right frame of mind to really get into watching them.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
concerning metropolis, fritz lang's genius aside, karl freund's cinematography was just as revolutionary and brilliant
It was beyond reproach. Things that we take for granted now, that we consider trivial, such as when the Machine turned into Moloch, was so ahead of its time back then

edit- And the morphing techniques. You gotta be kidding me. No one could even come close to that back in the day

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
though similar, i think apocalypto is the movie with the deeper meaning.

have you seen 'captain salvation'?
I'd agree with that. I think Gibson has a tendency to proselytize in his films, just below the surface. His "agenda" bothers me.

I haven't even heard of Captain Salvation? Worthwhile?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 46)