Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (50 Viewers)

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Watched Ze's special movie, The Message.

A movie whose main character isn't in the movie :sergio: But maybe that's an apt metaphor for the whole story, based on rumors.

For some reason it's forbidden to show Mohammed as an actor in the movie (naughty movie maker!), but it's not forbidden to impersonate GOD HIMSELF by using an actor to talk to Mohammed while showing a flame on the screen. Great logic. :shifty: It makes you wonder who's the more holy/grumpy one.

The guy who was tortured along with his parents, who were killed. Other guy comes up to him and says "your parents are the first martyrs of Islam, promised paradise!". And the guy looks just as sad. Shouldn't he be happy? "In your face, tyrants!" What could be better than sending your parents to paradise rather than this disgusting life where people torture you just for being delusional?

lol "Mohammed teaches us to give charity. Even a smile can be charity." Well then smile you unsmiling clowns. Not a single smile in the whole group.

"God made woman to be the proper companion of man. She is different, but equal." This guy doesn't even know what equal means.

"God created man from one male and one female." So god created man from man. At the point of creation he was already there.

Most of the rest is a boring story about war. Except for a scene where they reenter Mecca and destroy all the religious statues inside the Kaba, thereby pissing all over everyone else's religious customs. Real classy.
The movie is telling you the story, it's not like the filmmakers destroyed the statues :D

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
ĵџvє_вãвγ;2844093 said:
My Sassy Girl remake version of Korean 'Yeopgijeogin Geunyeo' i havent seen it yet, it is said one of the best romance-comedy ever.. but this one is very Hollywoodish, average one :/
..***..
Yeah, that's a pretty boring romance flick. Expected it to be more fun.

The Transporter 1

I expected more...

Hopefully 2nd part is better.
Better not get your hopes up.

Anyone see SAW 3D?? Planning to see it just because i wanna see how the 3D works in a horror movie
Horror in 3D huh? Well, I haven't seen that Saw flick, but Avatar was pretty horrible :shifty:

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Man, 2nd part sucks ass.

The part where he's getting rid of the car-bomb is just... :sergio:
dont get yr hopes high for the 3rd part gagi :D i watched all three movies for what they are i,e just for the action and i turn my mind off and just enjoy what i see. also the main reason i watched the 2nd part in particular is bec i love audi A8's!!!! D

watched the town :tup: loved it a lot although i;m no big fan of afleck

also watched inception, but will have to give it a second run to reach a final opinion up until the end of the first hour i was not seeing where all the hype was coming from to be honest, so a second seeing should really make every thing make more sense to me.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Watched Ze's special movie, The Message.
My special movie? Na, more like your spark notes to beginnings of Islam.

A movie whose main character isn't in the movie :sergio: But maybe that's an apt metaphor for the whole story, based on rumors.

For some reason it's forbidden to show Mohammed as an actor in the movie (naughty movie maker!), but it's not forbidden to impersonate GOD HIMSELF by using an actor to talk to Mohammed while showing a flame on the screen. Great logic. :shifty: It makes you wonder who's the more holy/grumpy one

You make it sound like they got permission from the Muslims to make this. It was their choice not to depict the Holy Prophet and the directors choice on how to portray God.

The guy who was tortured along with his parents, who were killed. Other guy comes up to him and says "your parents are the first martyrs of Islam, promised paradise!". And the guy looks just as sad. Shouldn't he be happy? "In your face, tyrants!" What could be better than sending your parents to paradise rather than this disgusting life where people torture you just for being delusional?
So if he was happy what would you have said? It was a win-win situation for you either way wasn't it?

lol "Mohammed teaches us to give charity. Even a smile can be charity." Well then smile you unsmiling clowns. Not a single smile in the whole group.
Again, you're complaining about something that the director chose to do and absolutely nothing to do with the story. Besides, aren't you used to how Hollywood portrays Arabs & Muslims anyway? There's a whole documentary on this if you're interested.

"God made woman to be the proper companion of man. She is different, but equal." This guy doesn't even know what equal means.

"God created man from one male and one female." So god created man from man. At the point of creation he was already there.
Based on that you know he doesn't know what equal means?

I think "man" is to be taken literally here.

Most of the rest is a boring story about war. Except for a scene where they reenter Mecca and destroy all the religious statues inside the Kaba, thereby pissing all over everyone else's religious customs. Real classy.
The Kaba was built by Abraham as a place of worship; a Prophet, also a monotheist. Technically the place didn't belong to the Meccans. Nevertheless, I don't think you understand the magnitude of the situation. The pagan Meccans never for a second thought that Muhammad was going to bring about such a change. At first they laughed at him at him and hurled abuses. Then when that got old they tried to kill him. He escaped and his following got bigger and bigger. So they waged war against him and even that didn't work. It's safe to say that by the time Prophet Muhammad came back to Mecca everyone had accepted him as the Messenger of God so there were no pagans. The only non-Muslim population of Mecca and the surrounding areas at this point were Jews, Christians, and Sabians.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
My special movie? Na, more like your spark notes to beginnings of Islam.
Well you recommended it, so I call it your movie.

You make it sound like they got permission from the Muslims to make this. It was their choice not to depict the Holy Prophet and the directors choice on how to portray God.
Actually they did. In the opening credits there's a message saying the movie received the approval of whatever islamic authority, so clearly it was made such that the mainstream muslim would not be pissed off by anything in it. To wit:

"The scolars and historians of Islam- The University of Al-Azhar in Cairo, The High Islamic Congress of the Shiat in Lebanon have approved the accuracy and fidelity of this film."

"The makers of this film honour the islamic tradition which holds that the impersonation of the prophet offends against the spirituality of his message. Therefore, the person of Mohammed will not be shown."

Whether they first contacted the authorities for permission or they made the movie in such a way as to receive that approval afterward is really one and the same.

I am, however, pointing out the bizarre logic in impersonating god but not Mohammed. Such being, as I said, approved by the relevant authorities.

So if he was happy what would you have said? It was a win-win situation for you either way wasn't it?
I would have said "it makes sense for him to be happy if he believes his parents are currently enjoying paradise". Wouldn't you?

Again, you're complaining about something that the director chose to do and absolutely nothing to do with the story. Besides, aren't you used to how Hollywood portrays Arabs & Muslims anyway? There's a whole documentary on this if you're interested.
I'm doing something which apparently seems very disturbing to you. I'm taking the so called message from god and contrasting that with the portrayals in a movie which purports to tell the story of the origin of islam. As it happens, there we find certain mildly amusing contrasts.

Based on that you know he doesn't know what equal means?
You're right, my comment implied that there is such a thing as an authority on the meaning of words. What words mean depends on how we use them. Nevertheless, what he called equality is not what I call equality.

I think "man" is to be taken literally here.
huh?

The Kaba was built by Abraham as a place of worship; a Prophet, also a monotheist. Technically the place didn't belong to the Meccans. Nevertheless, I don't think you understand the magnitude of the situation. The pagan Meccans never for a second thought that Muhammad was going to bring about such a change. At first they laughed at him at him and hurled abuses. Then when that got old they tried to kill him. He escaped and his following got bigger and bigger. So they waged war against him and even that didn't work. It's safe to say that by the time Prophet Muhammad came back to Mecca everyone had accepted him as the Messenger of God so there were no pagans. The only non-Muslim population of Mecca and the surrounding areas at this point were Jews, Christians, and Sabians.
That's certainly an interesting premise. The completely successful conversion of all of Mecca, and remotely at that! It doesn't happen to agree with the movie, where many people are shown to lock themselves up in their houses, fearful of Mohammed and his big entourage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 49)