Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (46 Viewers)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Been making my way throught the Oscar nominations and I know this has been a terrible year for movies due to Covid but most of these movies and performances are average at best they might as well just call them the diversity awards.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Been making my way throught the Oscar nominations and I know this has been a terrible year for movies due to Covid but most of these movies and performances are average at best they might as well just call them the diversity awards.
The Oscars aren’t as bad as the Grammys.... not yet at least

- - - Updated - - -

Love Bob Odenkirk, but seeing him as an action hero just feels .... wrong. I’m intrigued to try this one out though.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
it is what it is, most of the heavy hitters didn’t release this year so we have the best of what did. and it happens to be that the some of the best stories that did release are colored people stories, basically it looks very much like the spirit awards do every year

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Love Bob Odenkirk, but seeing him as an action hero just feels .... wrong.
That's because we got accustomed to hollywood roles being typecast based on looks only. Execs refuse to give actors a chance to widen their range because audiences and 'experts' call it a miscast. Oh look here's this actor who plays a high ranking military in all of his movies, there is the government offical, here is the small drug dealer type, a lowly office clerk type, here's the guy who plays a loner/underdog type, the protagonist's parents types, scientist type. Zero artisanship involved and it's called movie 'factory' for a reason. Give me a movie where Ralph Fiennes is the good guy and Tom Hanks is the bad guy ffs. Boring!

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
The Oscars aren’t as bad as the Grammys.... not yet at least

- - - Updated - - -

Love Bob Odenkirk, but seeing him as an action hero just feels .... wrong. I’m intrigued to try this one out though.

Weird coincidence, I WAS JUST looking for somewhere to stream or download this movie, Nobody. Tell me if you find somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT. Nevermind, I thought the movie came out in december, but its today LOL.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
That's because we got accustomed to hollywood roles being typecast based on looks only. Execs refuse to give actors a chance to widen their range because audiences and 'experts' call it a miscast. Oh look here's this actor who plays a high ranking military in all of his movies, there is the government offical, here is the small drug dealer type, a lowly office clerk type, here's the guy who plays a loner/underdog type, the protagonist's parents types, scientist type. Zero artisanship involved and it's called movie 'factory' for a reason. Give me a movie where Ralph Fiennes is the good guy and Tom Hanks is the bad guy ffs. Boring!
True and if watching MMA taught me anything Is that looks and muscles don't determine whether someone is tough or a good fighter or not.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
looking at the movie’s tag line, it seems like he was cast for this exact reason- no one expects Odenkirk to be an action hero, which makes him perfect for the role of an unlikely, underestimated vigilante.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Watched Annihilation last night, better than expected. :tup:
One of my favourite movies of the past few years. The last 15 or 20 minutes are a bit of a let down, but other than that it's absolutely brilliant.
Whoever the director of photography of this movie was did a remarkable job. So many impressive shots. Hell, there are moments in the movie where each single shot is a work of art.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
One of my favourite movies of the past few years. The last 15 or 20 minutes are a bit of a let down, but other than that it's absolutely brilliant.
Whoever the director of photography of this movie was did a remarkable job. So many impressive shots. Hell, there are moments in the movie where each single shot is a work of art.
I also really enjoyed it and I didn't get the hate it got. It's only 6.8 on imdb, that's crazy.

Juve92

Jan 18, 2016
Totally agree.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Cherry, very long and sad movie. The Russo brothers directed, interesting expansive narrative style (made movie feel longer), felt like seen every stage of this fucked up life story.

Still not sure as I see Tom Holland as anything but Spiderman, but he did good here.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
grotesque 2009
i've seen this type of sadistic prolonging of the torture of the victims in the movie salo. not as great as salo but enough to make you nervous.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I think he is great as Spiderman, his teen innocence, witty banter, naive and bumbling way is like the perfect teenage Peter Parker, like character came to life from the comics. He nails the role, much more so then Maguire and others because he is really age appropiate and natural in the role. Maguire was fine as older Peter Parker, but he didnt have personality of Peter Parker I read in comics since I was a little kid. Too gloomy and too nerdy same time, weird mix. But he was fine as Spiderman. But Holland checks all the boxes for me in both aspects of the character.

Issue with Holland is seeing him act in other stuff after you seen him as spiderman, its really hard to disengage from that lol. Not to say he wasnt FANTASTIC in Cherry, he carried the movie (the directors weird comedic choice for voice over narrator of himself breaking 4th wall was odd for a depressing drama...). And I heard he is very good in devils in the detail one.

Last edited:

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
@Osman it's called the Devil all the time and yea he was really good in it but I agree with it being hard to see him as anything other than Peter Parker. No idea how he is going to pull off playing the main hero in Far Cry

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
I find him so annoying it's crazy. I never liked any Spiderman besides Tobey Maguire who's the best one for me. I think he'll show in the new multiverse movie this year with all other Spiderman actors.
Got nothing against Holland, but I find his Spider-Man character very annoying. I find myself rooting for the bad guy in those movies.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I watched Zack Snyder's Justice League. Was it better than the previous one? Yeah. I liked how slower it was but not because of the genius move by Zack but because it came by default since it lasts for 4 hours, so more time was given to develop characters that were ignored in the previous one. Does that mean the movie itself is good? Nope. Just another popcorn movie with meh characters and an enemy that had ZERO motives besides being evil and collecting three fucking boxes, duh. They simply won't nail any movie where villain is just fucking stupid. That's why you have movies like Infinity War where they stand out simply because Thanos is amazing. Or Batman trilogy where Joker was brilliant. Even harder task when you have Superman who's overpowered by default and who's at the same time very boring. I liked that Joker in the end. I still can't believe they had Jared Leto have that SHIT Joker in Suicide Squad LOL, that was horrible. This one looks way better, same actor, just different makeup. Still, meh.

I rewatched Shutter Island and I still really like the movie.

La Môme
- Really good movie. Marion Cotillard was fucking brilliant, jeez, totally Oscar worthy with that performance. Nuts. I also found it quite interesting. And I also can't believe Marion was in Inception and they used Edit's song as a wake up song in Inception. I noticed that only when I watched this movie, and I think that's fantastic and props to Nolan for that, really huge and sweet detail imo.

Far from the Madding Crowd - Meh. Nothing stood one, just average.

Drishyam 2 - First one was way, way better. I think this one is overrated.

Rust and Bone - Good movie, I enjoyed it. Really solid acting and good time killed.

Otac/Father - Fantastic movie. One of those that's on film fests and totally worth watching. I'm kinda surprised it comes from my country and I think it deserves shitload of rewards. Leading role was nailed, amazing acting. It was based on a story that actually happened here so it's kinda sad/creepy. The atmosphere and artistic touch was top notch. It won some award in Berlin

Joaquin Phoenix is a really great actor. I watched him in Her and it was also a quite good movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 45)