Marcello Lippi (6 Viewers)

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Lippi: ‘Allegri’s Juve like mine’
By Football Italia staff

Marcello Lippi believes the current Juventus side is following the same path as his all-conquering team from the 90s.

Lippi won three Scudetti, the Coppa Italia and the Champions League in his first spell with the Bianconeri, and reached another three European finals, two in the Champions League.

The Coach then returned in 2001, winning another two Serie A titles, and reaching the final of Europe’s major club competition again.

“You can say that this Juve is following the same path of growth mine did,” Lippi explained in an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport.

“First success in Italy, then in Europe - maybe intercontinental too one day. You can only get there in one way: three or four European successes, like those against Borussia Dortmund and Real [Madrid].

“In Dortmund, Juventus took control of the pitch, showing awareness of their strengths. Then they scored more than one goal at home to Real.

“In Madrid they suffered a bit, but who doesn’t suffer there? And they could even have won.

“After three Scudetti [under Antonio Conte], [current Coach Massimiliano] Allegri was a real bonus. He hasn’t removed any conviction, but has grown Juve tactically, and they can now play two systems without problems.

“In Italy, their dominance is embarrassing. While the others are wondering who will be their next Coach, Juve have made two great signings [Sami] Khedira and [Paulo] Dybala, and they’re the ones who needed them least.”

The final will be played in Berlin’s Olympiastadion, where Lippi won the World Cup with the national team, and the legendary Coach revealed some advice for Max Allegri.

“I phoned him with a mutual friend. I told him, ‘take a day with friends and family and relax’. I think he did.

“This isn’t a World Cup. If you’re in the final after a year, then you’re stronger than at the beginning. There’s no need to act like Al Pacino in ‘Any Given Sunday’.

“In fact, in Berlin some of the Azzurri spent the night before at Kempinski with a cigarette. What can you say?

“One thing about Berlin which nobody knows, is that I came back a few years after the final.

“I was invited to a film festival, and one morning, all alone at 8am, I took a taxi to the stadium. I went onto the pitch, and spent 20 minutes just looking.”

Amazing.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Marcello Lippi admits “I made a mistake” in retiring, and could take another club job in Italy.

The 2006 World Cup-winner announced his retirement after leaving Guangzhou Evergrande, but admitted he’d consider another national team job.

However, the veteran Coach has now given an indication that he could return to a club job in Italy.

“In every division, even the minor ones, Italy has something more,” Lippi told Sky.

“The Coaches are better prepared, and therefore the players and the referees are better prepared.

“Back on the bench? Why not? I don’t change my mind easily, but I’ve realised I made a mistake. I thought that in China I no longer wanted football, but actually I didn’t want to stay away from my country and only go home every five months.

“I watch a lot of games, I still want football, and I could even return to the bench.”

The 67-year-old's greatest club success was with Juventus, where he won five Scudetti and the Champions League.

FI

Paolino

Nov 1, 2013
Lippi has made it clear that he is looking to return to the bench, and reaffirmed that desire.

“When I was in China [at Guangzhou Evergrande] I said 'enough, I’m 67-years-old, I don’t want to Coach anymore’.

“The reality is that I didn’t want to be so far from home. Now I only watch football on television, all the games, all levels.

“I thought of staying here in Viareggio in winter, when it gets dark at 5pm is one I don’t like at all.

When I see a team on TV that has problems, I find myself thinking 'here’s what I’d do, I’d play that way, I’d play this way’.

“I’d take a club job if it was one I liked.”
:donedeal::hihi:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)