Marcello Lippi (1 Viewer)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
'Juve should sell Pogba, we won everything after we sold zidane'

Actually, we didnt. We stopped beeing favorites for a CL final and havent won it since. Both allegri and conte won everything Lippi did without zidane.

Serie a, coppa, supercoppa.
The season after we sold him we reached the final. Nedved and Buffon were huge in that campaign. With Zidane we achieved nothing in Europe.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Juventus sold zidane, and stopped beeing a genuine CL favorite eversince.
That is blatantly untrue. We reached finals immediately before and immediately after Zidane, but not with Zidane. If anything the polar opposite of what you say is true.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
That is blatantly untrue. We reached finals immediately before and immediately after Zidane, but not with Zidane. If anything the polar opposite of what you say is true.
We played 3 consecutive finals and were the best in europe.

The last of those 3 finals was with zidane, dortmund, they marked him out of the game

Zidane left and immediatly won the Cl with madrid

We played the final in 2003 when beeing a huge outsider.

We have never ever reached the status we had when we played the consecutive CL finals, that stopped when we sold zidane partially.

- - - Updated - - -

We sold him in the summer of 2001, he immediately won the CL that season. We reached the final the next.
Yes, thats what i said.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
We played 3 consecutive finals and were the best in europe.

The last of those 3 finals was with zidane, dortmund, they marked him out of the game

Zidane left and immediatly won the Cl with madrid

We played the final in 2003 when beeing a huge outsider.

We have never ever reached the status we had when we played the consecutive CL finals, that stopped when we sold zidane partially.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, thats what i said.
Sorry I phrased that wrong I'm afraid. He was here for the Real final too btw, which was the last.

But my point is that both before and after we reached the final. This deal was good for all parties involved.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Sorry I phrased that wrong I'm afraid. He was here for the Real final too btw, which was the last.

But my point is that both before and after we reached the final. This deal was good for all parties involved.

What i find intriguing, is how it got so far.

Kicking it in serie a during the end of its glory days
3 consecutive CL finals

How did we even "had" to sell zidane to rejuvinate the team. How did it got so far , considering all that reputation, cash and attraction factor

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
What i find intriguing, is how it got so far.

Kicking it in serie a during the end of its glory days
3 consecutive CL finals

How did we even "had" to sell zidane to rejuvinate the team. How did it got so far , considering all that reputation, cash and attraction factor
We sold him because he wanted Real. Plain and simple. Just like Ronaldo felt great at Man Utd but still wanted Real. These things happen.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
We sold him because he wanted Real. Plain and simple. Just like Ronaldo felt great at Man Utd but still wanted Real. These things happen.
Yeah, but why didnt we build on all that succes ? If we look at the juventus team from the last season of Zidane, it was decaying all over the place, except the central axis

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
With Zidane:
1997 final vs Dortmund
1998 final vs Madrid
1999 semis vs United :sergio:
2000 UEFA Cup
2001 group stage

2 scudetti, 2 2nd places, 1 7th place

After Zidane:
2003 final vs Milan
2004 round of 16 vs Deportivo
2005 qf vs Liverpool
2006 qf vs Arsenal

4 scudetti, 1 3rd place

Domestically we were better after Zidane left but were not able to make good runs in CL. Obviously it wasn't all due to Zidane playing here or not, but he played a huge part in our successful CL runs in the late 90s

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
With Zidane:
1997 final vs Dortmund
1998 final vs Madrid
1999 semis vs United :sergio:
2000 UEFA Cup
2001 group stage

2 scudetti, 2 2nd places, 1 7th place

After Zidane:
2003 final vs Milan
2004 round of 16 vs Deportivo
2005 qf vs Liverpool
2006 qf vs Arsenal

4 scudetti, 1 3rd place

Domestically we were better after Zidane left but were not able to make good runs in CL. Obviously it wasn't all due to Zidane playing here or not, but he played a huge part in our successful CL runs in the late 90s
The difference is minimal at best. Especially if you consider that the final we actually won was just before Zidane. So basically he came to a team that was already the best and then made it 2nd best.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Domestically, i'd say that there are bigger factors

- lazio imploded : Nesta, Nedved, Salas, Veron, Crespo, Ravanelli all left.
- Milan was rebuilding
- Inter was shit
- Fiorentina went away

Competition went down a serious notch around Zidane's sale

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Domestically, i'd say that there are bigger factors

- lazio imploded : Nesta, Nedved, Salas, Veron, Crespo, Ravanelli all left.
- Milan was rebuilding
- Inter was shit
- Fiorentina went away

Competition went down a serious notch around Zidane's sale
Performancewise I think Juventus was every bit as strong without as with him. With him and a pre-injury Del Piero however we were the Galacticos, not Real.

We haven't gotten that kind of attraction back since 1998 imo.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Performancewise I think Juventus was every bit as strong without as with him. With him and a pre-injury Del Piero however we were the Galacticos, not Real.

We haven't gotten that kind of attraction back since 1998 imo.
I have a different opinion about the strenght, but i do agree about the 1998 attraction.

Working on that tho. Really need to keep the good italians, and Dybala, Pogba, Sandro, Morata.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I have a different opinion about the strenght, but i do agree about the 1998 attraction.

Working on that tho. Really need to keep the good italians, and Dybala, Pogba, Sandro, Morata.
Pogba especially could do wonders for our image imo.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Pogba especially could do wonders for our image imo.
Someone said it somewhere and i kinda agree, but Pogba is probably the most markettable athlete under <insert Messi's age>.
Even more then Neymar (in my opinion)

I also happen to find Morata very markettable. He radiates such class and flair. Its very easy to make great commercials of him just by getting some in game footage.

Dybala's flairfull magician touch... Sandro's empowerment... And offcourse italian rolemodels.

I'm actually quite happy with our team as it is. When i forget about what team i support and look at the rosters, juve's roster has so many players that bring that satisfying grin to the face.

Likely to be my subjective view as a fan tho. but i really like alot of our players

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I disagree with Lippi here, only because of the fact that the market and our image back then were very different than it is today. There are more players with inflated price tags, than back in the day. For e.g. Zizou was probably the only player at that time with that kind of value and price on his head. Today Pogba is closely followed by the likes of Lewandowski, Muller, Neymar (who'd cost more), all having that kind of pricing. So the lower grade players than these guys, are naturally more expensive than they also ought to be, factoring in how inflated these guys prices are. Add to that, Juve is still working on their european image with the post 2000 generation of fans, and players alike. So it probably won't be as easy as people think to buy with the Pogba money. Sure, we may get a Cavani and an Isco too, but unlike in 98, we would have 10 other clubs that would be just as attractive to our targets, and those 10 other clubs would have just as much ability to outbid us, if not in transfer fees, then in salary.

For me, Juve's best bet is holding on to the likes of Dybala, Pogba and Morata, and the likes of Sandro etc. and build a solid core around these guys to create a bright and European centric future as far as titles go. Selling these guys is going to throw us into the same vicious cycle of buying the next potential big thing and waiting for the pay off as they mature before they discover the greener pastures of the La liga and EPL. Wrong way forward IMO, if we truly want to be annual contenders for the CL.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Zidane was 29 yo, past his prime or close to passing it and was sold for a world record fee. Pogba is 23 yo, yet to reach the pinnacle of his career and will prolly have 7-8 years of top footy in him. He's the type of player that can make this club grow even further and become regular CL contender. Nonsenical to compare the two, considering the age at which Zidane left the club and suggestions of Pogba doing the same at almost beginning of his career. 100m can get you some good players, but none will be as fundamental to the team as Pogs is, or marketable. The question of his sale shouldn't be reduced to only monetary gains. Pogba's destiny is to become the most popular football players in the world and Juve could reap the benefits.

As for the "With Zidane we were regular CL contendeer", Zizou was always second fidle to DP and he already arrived in a top team, CL winner, didn't make us one. He wasn't as important as Ale. Pre injury DP was trully something, the key player of Juve in the 90es. After the 98 final the team started declining, lost several key players and the culmination was group stage exit in 2001, to which Zidane himself contributed after getting a red card for headbutting (his apparent weakness) HSV player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)