Linux for your taste (sorry Naw :D) (6 Viewers)

What OS do you use?

• Windows

• Linux

• Mac

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Alright Guys. Everyone seems to be ravin about Linux. I've been reading your posts gloryfying it for a year now and belittling Windows.

Now I'm really interested. Why doesn't someone tell me the ABC's or 1,2,3's to how to start using Linux.

Is there a difference in which "linux" I get? :confused: I mean what's this whole Ubuntu crap. Is it just like the Windows series, i.e. 2000, ME, XP, etc. ?

What kind of stuff can I expect to forget to use on Linux that I use on Windows?

Can I install Linux and use both it and windows? How much space does that take? (sorry if that sounded really stupid :D )

What are the differences in the Linux interface and Windows?

Sorry about all the q's, but I've never seen a computer run on Linux. All I remember is once that I did see a computer with a different operating system, and it was really complicated, you had to type codes or something to open programs :confused:

Buy on AliExpress.com

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Zé Tahir said:
Alright Guys. Everyone seems to be ravin about Linux. I've been reading your posts gloryfying it for a year now and belittling Windows.

Now I'm really interested. Why doesn't someone tell me the ABC's or 1,2,3's to how to start using Linux.

Is there a difference in which "linux" I get? :confused: I mean what's this whole Ubuntu crap. Is it just like the Windows series, i.e. 2000, ME, XP, etc. ?

What kind of stuff can I expect to forget to use on Linux that I use on Windows?

Can I install Linux and use both it and windows? How much space does that take? (sorry if that sounded really stupid :D )

Sorry about all the q's, but I've never seen a computer run on Linux. All I remember is once that I did see a computer with a different operating system, and it was really complicated, you had to type codes or something to open programs :confused:
Linux is the core operating system and several companies develop an operating system where you can work easily on your computer, these are called distros.

Ubunut, Gentoo, Suse, Red Had, etc. are examples of distros.

No, it has nothing to do with the different versions of Windows that Bill Gates stuffs the market with.

Basically any application that runs under Windows has an equivalent under Linux.

Games under Windows is what you will miss.

The interfaces are pretty much similar except that they run in a different way and it will take you some time to get familiar with it.

Yes you can install both operating systems and this is what most of those who switch from Windows to Linux do (not me, I just wanted to get rid of Windows totally)

In Linux you type commands to do stuff but that's the beauty of it :toast:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Yes, they're sometimes called "flavours" which gets the idea nicely. Ubuntu is very popular now, well financed and a good one to start with.

Games. People don't make games for Linux very much. :depressed
Most other stuff has an equivalent, and some stuff has been made work on both - Firefox and OpenOffice are both standard on most types of Linux these days.

Yes, you can. It's called "dual booting" and there are good tutorials everywhere. It's not hard. Just google for one. It doesn't take much space by most people's standards now - a few gigabites.

Don't worry, that's a command line interface (like DOS on Windows). Linux works quite similarly. Stuff is in a different place, or called a different name, but it's not hard to get familiar with it, and then it's not harder.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Thanx for all the info guys. So as a beginner, which linux program should I start with? Mikhail, you said Ubuntu, is there a specific one? And how much do they cost?

Ok, if you guys wanna reply in the linux thread, that's cool.

Martin said:
Ze, all well and good but take it to a linux thread will you :smile:
Shit, i thought I posted this in the Windows Vista thread. Ma bad folks.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Zé Tahir said:
Shit, i thought I posted this in the Windows Vista thread. Ma bad folks.
you did. but one of our sleek mods seems to have moved it here. ;)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
vlatko said:
you did. but one of our sleek mods seems to have moved it here. ;)
Shit, now I feel dizzy.

Good, then I can post this. Which distro is this, I can learn this, doesn't look too different from Windows :

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I moved some and someone else moved the others :pint:

Ze, Linux basically cost nothing, some distros cost because they come with technical support.

Ubuntu you can order the CDs using ShipIT, that is if you want to wait. Other than that you can basically download the distro you want to use.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Zé Tahir said:
Shit, now I feel dizzy.

Good, then I can post this. Which distro is this, I can learn this, doesn't look too different from Windows :

That looks like PCLinux

And yes it does look like Windows. As the name of the distro implies, they are trying to imitate or simulate Windows.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

judging on the logo on the lower right it's distro aLinux
http://www.alinux.org/linux-os-what-is-aLinux.html

yes it looks a lot like windows, especially with that big start logo, but don't fool yourself it's not. it is similar in interface but there's a whole world of difference you have to overcome. that famous learning curve from windows to linux.

that particular distro, aLinux, uses KDE as desktop enviroment and it's similar to windows in interface. i don't know about that particular distro so i can't recommend it.

if you like that appearance than what i can recommend is kubuntu. same thing as ubuntu, they only differ in desktop enviroment. ubuntu uses gnome and kubuntu uses kde(more windows like).

www.ubuntu.com
www.kubuntu.org
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=662&slide=4&title=kubuntu+6.06+screenshots

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
vlatko said:
judging on the logo on the lower right it's distro aLinux
http://www.alinux.org/linux-os-what-is-aLinux.html

yes it looks a lot like windows, especially with that big start logo, but don't fool yourself it's not. it is similar in interface but there's a whole world of difference you have to overcome. that famous learning curve from windows to linux.

that particular distro, aLinux, uses KDE as desktop enviroment and it's similar to windows in interface. i don't know about that particular distro so i can't recommend it.

if you like that appearance than what i can recommend is kubuntu. same thing as ubuntu, they only differ in desktop enviroment. ubuntu uses gnome and kubuntu uses kde(more windows like).

www.ubuntu.com
www.kubuntu.org
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=662&slide=4&title=kubuntu+6.06+screenshots
Good spot Vlakto, initially I thought it was PCLinux....

OP
/usr/bin

/usr/bin

Excellent
Mar 6, 2005
  • Thread Starter #74
    Ze, welcome to the light side ;)

Okay, as most of you here would guess, I would suggest ubuntu, but that's totally up to you.. Honestly, you can only find the one you like best if you've tried 'em all, and I haven't yet, so.. :D

They say linspire is easy for beginners (www.freespire.org for the free version), but I'd honestly reccommend anything branching out from debian.. i.e. Ubuntu :D

If you do decide to get hooked up with the Ubu, let me know, I'd be more than glad to help out ;)

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    Zé Tahir said:
    Mandriva

Kubuntu

Ubuntu

OpenSuSe
    Mandriva is just to childish for my taste....

Kubuntu and Ubuntu are basiclly the same....

As for SuSe, its good, yet I believe that Ubuntu is better and easier...

Go with Ubuntu;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)