Linux for your taste (sorry Naw :D) (12 Viewers)

What OS do you use?

• Windows

• Linux

• Mac

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
hence my suggestion?

Compact discs are made from a 1.2 mm thick disc of very pure polycarbonate plastic. A thin layer of Super Purity Aluminium is applied (or rarely gold, used for its data longevity, such as in some limited-edition audiophile CDs) to the surface to make it reflective, which is protected by a film of lacquer. The lacquer can be printed with a label. Common printing methods for compact discs are silkscreening and offset printing. CD data is stored as a series of tiny indentations (pits *), encoded in a tightly packed spiral track of pits moulded into the top of the polycarbonate layer. The areas between pits are known as 'lands'. Each pit is approximately 100 nm deep by 500 nm wide, and varies from 850 nm to 3.5 μm long. The spacing between the tracks, the pitch, is 1.6 μm. A CD is read by focusing a 780 nm wavelength semiconductor laser through the bottom of the polycarbonate layer. The difference in height between pits and lands leads to a phase difference between the light reflected from a pit and from its surrounding land. By measuring the intensity with a photodiode, one is able to read the data from the disc. The pits and lands themselves do not represent the zeroes and ones of binary data. Instead a change from pit to land or land to pit indicates a one, while no change indicates a zero. This in turn is decoded by reversing the Eight-to-Fourteen Modulation used in mastering the disc, and then reversing the Cross-Interleaved Reed-Solomon Coding, finally revealing the raw audio data stored on the disc.

Make sure you hold your hand steady :D

OP
/usr/bin
Mar 6, 2005
  • Thread Starter #26
    Rami said:
    Stop it Nawaf, I know that you are seriously contemplating it, but thats just pushing it to far:D
    ...pushing what now? :D

Now, where can I get me a hand laser...

OP
    /usr/bin
    Mar 6, 2005
  • Thread Starter #27
    Martin said:
    hence my suggestion?

Compact discs are made from a 1.2 mm thick disc of very pure polycarbonate plastic. A thin layer of Super Purity Aluminium is applied (or rarely gold, used for its data longevity, such as in some limited-edition audiophile CDs) to the surface to make it reflective, which is protected by a film of lacquer. The lacquer can be printed with a label. Common printing methods for compact discs are silkscreening and offset printing. CD data is stored as a series of tiny indentations (pits *), encoded in a tightly packed spiral track of pits moulded into the top of the polycarbonate layer. The areas between pits are known as 'lands'. Each pit is approximately 100 nm deep by 500 nm wide, and varies from 850 nm to 3.5 μm long. The spacing between the tracks, the pitch, is 1.6 μm. A CD is read by focusing a 780 nm wavelength semiconductor laser through the bottom of the polycarbonate layer. The difference in height between pits and lands leads to a phase difference between the light reflected from a pit and from its surrounding land. By measuring the intensity with a photodiode, one is able to read the data from the disc. The pits and lands themselves do not represent the zeroes and ones of binary data. Instead a change from pit to land or land to pit indicates a one, while no change indicates a zero. This in turn is decoded by reversing the Eight-to-Fourteen Modulation used in mastering the disc, and then reversing the Cross-Interleaved Reed-Solomon Coding, finally revealing the raw audio data stored on the disc.

Make sure you hold your hand steady :D
    nano meters? That's nothing.. :D

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
    www.chxta.blogspot.com

What you are seeing above is a picture of my new desktop. Yes, today I joined the ranks of KDE users.

KDE is one of the X-Window environments that is used in Linux. Like the interphase for the Mac OS X, its proponents tout it as a very beautiful (I whole-heartedly agree) environment.

I had been agonising about the switch for a while because while on the one hand I was very content with the functionality of the Gnome environment, I was always tripped by the beauty of Windows XP, and when I finally saw the Mac environment in action at PC Outlet, I knew it was just a matter of time before I had to do something about my ugly Gnome desktop.

I did my research on KDE, and while most people say KDE is resource hungry, I finally took the bull by the horns and downloaded the thing. So far I must say I haven't been disappointed.

I installed KDE 3.5 on my system (as opposed to installing Kubuntu). The summary of the features of KDE 3.5 are:
    Better overall performance, enhanced support for desktop interoperability standards, and increased compatibility with Web standards
    New applications and utilities for messaging, graphics, games, personal productivity, and accessibility
    Usability improvements in menus, tool bars, dialogs, and control panels
    Cleaner default appearance, new icons, and updated artwork
    Almost 10,000 bug reports resolved and some 2000 feature requests implemented
    Developers get better KDE API documentation, new language bindings, new versions of the development tools, and UML support.

It is also touted as being more stable than any other desktop environment. Let's see how it goes...

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    SexualChocolate said:
    Oh, btw, how's your XBOX? :D
    Its sitting right here beside me on my desk, so COLD:(....and been like that for a couple of month:(....hopefully as soon as the WC ends I will tend to it.

Anyways as I mentioned earlier I got the Ubuntu CD's a couple of days ago and I tried the live cd version for a couple of minutes and I have a couple of questions:

1- Does multimedia work out of the box? It didn't work on live CD.
    2-Is it only gnome? or could I add KDE whe I install it. Which would also raise the question whats the difference between Ubuntu, Kubuntu, xbuntu...etc

3-I am enjoying Suse because of Yast, does Ubuntu have something similar to yast?

4- Do RPM's work on Ubuntu, if not is there something similar or do I have to install from source?

OP
    /usr/bin
    Mar 6, 2005
  • Thread Starter #37
    Rami said:
    Its sitting right here beside me on my desk, so COLD:(....and been like that for a couple of month:(....hopefully as soon as the WC ends I will tend to it.

Anyways as I mentioned earlier I got the Ubuntu CD's a couple of days ago and I tried the live cd version for a couple of minutes and I have a couple of questions:

1- Does multimedia work out of the box? It didn't work on live CD.
    2-Is it only gnome? or could I add KDE whe I install it. Which would also raise the question whats the difference between Ubuntu, Kubuntu, xbuntu...etc

3-I am enjoying Suse because of Yast, does Ubuntu have something similar to yast?

4- Do RPM's work on Ubuntu, if not is there something similar or do I have to install from source?
    1- No, not out of the box.. Licensing issues.. I'll help you with that one if you want ;)
    2-Ubuntu by default has gnome only, but as chxta shown, you can install any desktop environment
    3- Yes.. Synaptic package manager and/or aptitude.. not sure about the control panel, but debian's package manager system is world-class ;)
    4- You could install RPMs, yes, with a handy little program called Alien.. It basically converts RPMs to DEBs to your home folder.. don't know of any limitations, but I've only used it when I've been very desperate..

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install alien
    and yes, sometimes you have to compile from source.. I'll help you with that later if you want, too ;)

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
    SexualChocolate said:
    1- No, not out of the box.. Licensing issues.. I'll help you with that one if you want ;)
    2-Ubuntu by default has gnome only, but as chxta shown, you can install any desktop environment
    3- Yes.. Synaptic package manager and/or aptitude.. not sure about the control panel, but debian's package manager system is world-class ;)
    4- You could install RPMs, yes, with a handy little program called Alien.. It basically converts RPMs to DEBs to your home folder.. don't know of any limitations, but I've only used it when I've been very desperate..

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install alien
    and yes, sometimes you have to compile from source.. I'll help you with that later if you want, too ;)
    Help me then. My box (both on Gnome and KDE) doesn't play VCDs or DVDs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)