Krasic, the New Diego (10 Viewers)

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Which only goes to show what I've been saying for ages, Diego was not the man to build a team around him. We were going from a 4-4-2 we were used to for decades, to a system we were unfamiliar with for just one player who comanded that system. Had we not bought Diego and instead bought a winger to replace Nedved, kept Zanetti instead of spending money on Melo, with which we could have bought a replacement for Camo, we would have finished better and spent less money.

Diego was to blame for not only playing like shit himself, but indirectly for making the whole team play like shit becaue they were playing something they didn't know and we never had the players for. It's cause and effect, you buy a player like Diego for 25m you gotta suit your formation to him. That was our downfall.
But you're missing my point. A team should never be built around one certain player ever. The team may very well have been built around Diego by Ferrara and Secco, but that is not Diego's failure its theirs. Just because a player is the main attacking focal point it does not mean he shouldn't be provided with the very necessary support that the player requires. Diego was simply not supported. Diego made the whole team play shit? Well that's absolute crap. I would say that he was one of the last players in the team to begin playing poorly. When everyone stopped running ahead of him, he had no one to pass to. Simple as that and it is usually the case with players in that position. He needed two mobile strikers and two full backs moving into space ahead of him and a passing mid behind him and he was seldom provided with that. So he failed.. go figure! A sole attacking mid is not solely responsible for the entire failure of the team and you obviously weren't looking at our performances objectively at all that season.

Buy on AliExpress.com

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

But you're missing my point. A team should never be built around one certain player ever. The team may very well have been built around Diego by Ferrara and Secco, but that is not Diego's failure its theirs. Just because a player is the main attacking focal point it does not mean he shouldn't be provided with the very necessary support that the player requires. Diego was simply not supported. Diego made the whole team play shit? Well that's absolute crap. I would say that he was one of the last players in the team to begin playing poorly. When everyone stopped running ahead of him, he had no one to pass to. Simple as that and it is usually the case with players in that position. He needed two mobile strikers and two full backs moving into space ahead of him and a passing mid behind him and he was seldom provided with that. So he failed.. go figure! A sole attacking mid is not solely responsible for the entire failure of the team and you obviously weren't looking at our performances objectively at all that season.
I can agree with the gist of your post 100%, one player can never carry a whole team. The blame lies on Secco and Ferrara, they're the ones that made the wrong decision to go and rebuild, instead of build upon our team. That's why I used the term "indirectly", meaning not by his fault directly but because of his presence the team played worse because they were playing a system they were not familiar with. There's a big difference between what I said and what you perceived from it.

Bottom line is Diego was a wrong move at the wrong time.

May 4, 2004
A good post :tup:

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
But who wasn't horrible for (almost) half the season?

Do you remember away to Napoli, home to Palermo, away to Chievo, home to Milan, away to Bari, home to Fiorentina, away to Palermo. Those are all games were Diego was, for me at least, absolutely terrible. Not just bad or mediocre. And that's not even talking about how he performed in the CL.

And, in case you don't understand it, I don't even think Canna, Marchisio, Buffon or Legro had a good season last year, because they didn't. But I do think they were "better" than Diego.
The only player who had a good season (mind you, not excellent) was Chiellini. Unlike this season, sadly.

Edit: seems like a lot of people, for whatever reason, think that when you say player A performed better than player B, that automatically means that player A must have been good. Odd.
That's because a lot of people here do not agree of grey scale, things are only black or white.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
I can agree with the gist of your post 100%, one player can never carry a whole team. The blame lies on Secco and Ferrara, they're the ones that made the wrong decision to go and rebuild, instead of build upon our team. That's why I used the term "indirectly", meaning not by his fault directly but because of his presence the team played worse because they were playing a system they were not familiar with. There's a big difference between what I said and what you perceived from it.

Bottom line is Diego was a wrong move at the wrong time.
Well apologies in that case. He was definitely a victim of poor management and bad timing. I do think that with time however, that this team could have grown with him with new support coming his way. And that's what this thread is about - should those failures be taken at face value and do they warrant the knee-jerk reactions that usually follow? The answer in both cases is 'no'.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
We got Krasic becasue we couldn't get Dzeko. And Diego couldn't save Wolfsburg from the 15th spot in the Bundesliga, shows you how good he really is. Talent doesn't mean squat if you don't have any drive and can't lead a team. That's what Diego was supposed to do, and he failed.
Ker-ching.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Then we should have waited with signing Diego as his market value now is much more realistic.

Worse or not it doesn't matter. The jury is still out on him as is on the whole team, bar Buffon and Chiellini, but Diego is gone, gone, gone and never to come back. Hopefully he ends up back in Brasil quite soon. There he'll finally shine again!
Ignore the market value, we bought him, he did decently enough, the overall was the problem, not him, we should kept him. If we were fussing over price, Melo was a much bigger flop considering his erratic behaviour in first season and costing 25m as a DM. But we kept him, and it worked out, why couldnt we have done the same for Diego? It made no frigging sense to dispose of him.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I don't think this seasons system was based around Krasic. I think had De Ceglie stayed fit and Martinez too the left side would have been a bit more of an attacking threat to compensate for Krasic on the right. The injuries were not planned and Pepe could not fill the void nor could Marchisio playing out of position therefore by default sending all attacking prowess this team had to offer to Krasic on the right.

In conclusion, the system was obviously not built around Krasic. The entire left side of our team was injuried all season long and consisted of an out of position Marchisio, an injuried De Ceglie and Martinez with the occasional Pepe.

You stop Krasic, you stop Juve.

:edit: It's no coincidence Krasic had his best performances when DC was fit earlier this season.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Martinez sucked, and to think De Ceglie would made much a difference, when he is not better offensively then Grosso, is bit odd.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I hope you arent facepalming about Grosso-De Ceglie bit. I hope we are beyond overrating our mediocre players already. He is more mobile then Grosso, but the latter is better crosser/more assured with the ball, despite sucking in general.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
He was more assured with the ball. He hasn't shown that since god knows when. I'm sure DC would have contributed more than Grosso. And Molinaro would have contributed more than DC. That says it all :D

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Ignore the market value, we bought him, he did decently enough, the overall was the problem, not him, we should kept him. If we were fussing over price, Melo was a much bigger flop considering his erratic behaviour in first season and costing 25m as a DM. But we kept him, and it worked out, why couldnt we have done the same for Diego? It made no frigging sense to dispose of him.
Cutting our losses. Diego doesn't strike me as a player who has Melo's never-give up attitude. I doubt it he could have picked up after last year's performance and the whole pitch whistling him.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Thats just a cop out, give him more of competent players to play with, like Krasic needs, and he would play better. Defenitely better then what we had to put up with this season. Cutting our losses to what? So we can sign twice more useless player like Martinez for 2-3ms less then we sold him for, have a totally inept midfield offensively beside Krasic?

And I would choose De Ceglie over Grosso for sure, but DC wouldnt be some big improvement over him, just an ok player with slightly more to give then a washed up Groso, he wouldnt he help out alleviate pressure from Krasic, he would just run up and down like a headless chicken most of the time. Prolly defend better then Grosso, but thats more or less it.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Cutting our losses. Diego doesn't strike me as a player who has Melo's never-give up attitude. I doubt it he could have picked up after last year's performance and the whole pitch whistling him.
Never say die attitude aside, they both did poorly last season. Why wasn't Melo a 'loss' to 'cut'?

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Thats just a cop out, give him more of competent players to play with, like Krasic needs, and he would play better. Defenitely better then what we had to put up with this season. Cutting our losses to what? So we can sign twice more useless player like Martinez for 2-3ms less then we sold him for, have a totally inept midfield offensively beside Krasic?
Cop out my ass, just look at his performances for Wolfsubrg, that's a direct effect from his failure here. The guy doesn't know how to cope with pressure, never did.

15m is better than 10m which Wolfsburg will (maybe) get. As for Martinez and the likes, I'm not justifying any purchase we made this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)