Football Manager 2020 (3 Viewers)

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
Spent 200k on two last season's loanees, got Farrell and Rogers back, signed some decent freebies and this Wright guy from Arsenal to take me to the promise land

749ea39fc9d4fb79aa788e29a6480bd0.png

The boys have zero respect for CH sides, we are playing our game no matter what

6a11585aee7a887750da0ffb43e17dff.png

We have deadly counters, and we scored one 20 secs into the game

34709962f2de0e7110876ae8c7a836e8.gif

I love my bloody team.

and this guy is probably my fave
What are your tactics? How the hell did you get them to play one-twos and actually pass to open teammates?

I've put play through the middle and much shorter passing and they're still bombing long diagonals from FB to FB, then dribbling all the time and not passing.

OP
X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #343
    What are your tactics? How the hell did you get them to play one-twos and actually pass to open teammates?

I've put play through the middle and much shorter passing and they're still bombing long diagonals from FB to FB, then dribbling all the time and not passing.
    something that i've noticed, this version does not seem setup to accept a lot of tinkering from preset tactics. in previous FMs, i always tinkered tactics (lots of player instructions, tactical instructions etc.) to tailor make what i was looking for. Doing that seems to be suicide in this one.

Pick a premade tactic and try it out, very cautiously implement changes to player roles/ add in new instructions then test them out in the Match Engine one or two at a time. It is very easy to change too much from the presets and suddenly you are seeing absurd passages of play. Even ones that don't seem to represent the instructions you've chosen.

Pick a very general idea of what you want to see and make only the slightest of changes at a time otherwise you can quickly end up with something that doesn't even resemble football.

Gagi

Jul 19, 2007

Usually they shoot from dead angles, though.

played 4-3-3 in my first season

4-2-3-1 (2 dm, MR, ML, AM, FC) in my second

4-1-4-1 flat ever since

Mr Chocolate

Rubba Band Business
    Dec 23, 2012
    Hello Friends,
    Has anyone experienced having a kinda "ghost player", i have a guy in my Ascoli career mode, he is 4 and a half stars and has really good stats but i can't find him anywhere.
    He is contracted, gets transfer offers, keeps putting in Transfer requests but he isnt in any squads, i dont have the option to move him in squads and he is not listed as being in training, but he still gets a training rating?.
    He does not come up to be registered in my squad either.
    I could sell him but i wanna use him

rainhard

May 5, 2004
    this game start from CM in 1992, changed as FM after SEGA bought it (SI and Eidos part ways) and now still has problem with match engine in 2020

But as hard core fan I have fm 2013 up til 2019 in my steam library. Want to buy the FM 2020 but currently out of job so really tight on money. Waiting for discount in December maybe. Still playing FM 2019 now

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Hello Friends,
    Has anyone experienced having a kinda "ghost player", i have a guy in my Ascoli career mode, he is 4 and a half stars and has really good stats but i can't find him anywhere.
    He is contracted, gets transfer offers, keeps putting in Transfer requests but he isnt in any squads, i dont have the option to move him in squads and he is not listed as being in training, but he still gets a training rating?.
    He does not come up to be registered in my squad either.
    I could sell him but i wanna use him

Its a common bug, read about it in few forums. Only happens for lower league teams.

Gagi

Jul 19, 2007
    Injuries and suspensions are killing me. Both wingers are down with nasty injuries, had to play left back on ML and a striker that I had in bloody Conference on MR/AMR. Shited to 4-3-3 for a bit, considering 4-3-1-2 now. No squad depth whatsoever nor money to fix that in January mercato.

Honeymoon is over

8097683b5f28c399087cf781307a4d23.png

- - - Updated - - -

36da71c0952f867da888137047e1ad3d.png

LOL

BlythFansTV

I've lost zero road games in League One with that 4-1-4-1 formation, ungrateful cunts

- - - Updated - - -

5b1d4d1be28e8850d9a9b76e6cf1756e.png

Last edited:

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Look over your training schedule, that's the most common reason for sudden increase in injuries. Tweak it a bit until it's less straining. Especially if you have a small squad.

Gagi

Jul 19, 2007
    I have them working like navy seals in pre-season, now we're focused on defence and offence

they're just overused, tired, my subs are shit

no defence freebies now as well

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
    Finally a tactic I am content with, at least for now. I like the variety, where we can go slow and short passing to mix it with a more direct approach. More than anything, it has eliminated the hoofs over my backline. It still happens, but significantly less than otherwise. Now the opposition actually scores "real" goals against me and not just one-on-ones.
    Additional instructions: (1) LB to stay wide. (2) Everyone with low on long shots to shoot less. But I am still undecided because I want them to take those shots every now and then to unsettle defensive lines that are staying deep. (3) All midfielders and forwards to make direct passes. (4) against bigger teams play positive or cautious and if they have an AMC and/or are going on counters I put my DLP to defend.

I know it's a midfield trio that shouldn't work, but so far it's doing wonders for me.

Skärmavbild 2019-12-27 kl. 11.04.40.png

Liviu

Jan 10, 2015
    What do you thing stopped the opposition playing long balls over your defence? I played this last like 3 weeks ago and got a lot of long balls against me every game. I used a more flat 433, but pretty similar instructions to my defence (offside, MH defence line, MH engagement line, tight marking, prevent gk distribution) as for attacking I use similar instructions apart for overlap left and pass into space whilst having a positive approach while playing Juventus.

I'm looking to get back into fm20, but those long balls are so annoying and unrealistic for me.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
    The long balls are ridiculous. Of course these things happen in reality but they are very rare. I have yet to see a game where the opposition keeps coming through like that, where it does not matter what you do.

I tried to eliminate it at first by pressing and marking good passers. But the CPU had 11 Pirlo's' so that didn't matter.

Playing against Juve has been impossible because Sarri plays very direct, i.e. hoofs it over backline every time a player touches the ball. Ronaldo, Suarez and the rest they have in their line up are all closer to 40 than 30. They have the pace of a molested turtle and the stamina of Hübner, but that doesn't matter, they come one-on-one until I stop watching the game and just let the time run out. So my bar has been set out by Juve - if I can stop them to score 50 goals on me, then the tactic is OK.

I tried to put defence as low as possible, cautious mentality, standard/lower pressing, regroup after lost possession, don't counter, and so on, basically shrink any space they can have to make any long balls. That worked like a charm, NOT. It made no difference whatsoever, I mean literally nothing. That's why I just decided f*** logic, and pushed everything up as far as possible in hope to prevent opposition to have the time to make the Pirloesque long pass.

Having pacy CBs should help but I can't afford good CBs yet, so I went for those with good anticipation, positioning, teamwork, work rate, concentration and marking, hoping that would help prevent hoofing as they would be able to be one step ahead. But alas, as noted, from my experience it doesn't really help.

In short. Like everyone is saying, the match engine is broken but if you push up and hustle the opponents it seems to help, not sure exactly why because to me it... well. Pressing high makes them hoof but have less time to have precision. But they shouldn't be able to have that kind of precision, timing, and so forth, anyway. I don't understand how kindergarten players come up with a Pirlo-pass to kindergarten player number 2, with faultless timing and the speed of a horny horse runs to score free on goal.

QT in euro cup, gonna play at home now. Wish me luck!
    Skärmavbild 2019-12-27 kl. 16.24.02.png

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
    I like the descriptions on your profile, hadn't notice that before. Is it new?
    Given the description and the way they emphasize it over and over, I seem to be a gay rapist with a preference towards younger boys, the younger the better..
    Skärmavbild 2019-12-27 kl. 18.22.42.png

Liviu

Jan 10, 2015
    @Tak!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to implement the press approach when I go try this FM again. It's the first FM where I kinda struggle with weaker opposition because of those long balls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)