Del Neri... The worst? (9 Viewers)

Is Del Neri the worst to sit on Juve's bench?

• No, he's not the worst

• Yes, he is the worst

• Undecided till now/can't tell

Results are only viewable after voting.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Ask yourself the question: Is this team (individual players' qualities) better than last year's?

For me personally, the answer would be no.
That is true though, I blame Marotta more than I blame Del Neri. But then this leaves me to the question of how the hell could Marotta bring in 12 new players and we still end up being worse than last season?

OP
Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #123
    That's my choice too.
    How so?

Ciro Ferrara coaching career: Juventus 08-09, 2010-11 Italy U21. (Inexperienced coach and still very young with lots of time ahead of him to learn and become better tactician).

Luigi Del Neri coaching career: 1998 at Empoli, 2000 Chievo Verona, 2004 Porto, 2005 Roma, 2005 Palermo, 2006 Chievo, 2007 Atalanta, 2009 Sampdoria. He was sacked 3x.

Ferrara can't be compared to Del Neri, because Ciro is still young and Juve was his first bench while Del Neri has managed top teams like Porto and Roma (he was fired from both teams) and still never impressed.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    How so?

Ciro Ferrara coaching career: Juventus 08-09, 2010-11 Italy U21. (Inexperienced coach and still very young with lots of time ahead of him to learn and become better tactician).

Luigi Del Neri coaching career: 1998 at Empoli, 2000 Chievo Verona, 2004 Porto, 2005 Roma, 2005 Palermo, 2006 Chievo, 2007 Atalanta, 2009 Sampdoria. He was sacked 3x.

Ferrara can't be compared to Del Neri, because Ciro is still young and Juve was his first bench while Del Neri has managed top teams like Porto and Roma (he was fired from both teams) and still never impressed.
    I thought the question was, who had the worst season with Juve.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    That is true though, I blame Marotta more than I blame Del Neri. But then this leaves me to the question of how the hell could Marotta bring in 12 new players and we still end up being worse than last season?
    We completely ignored pure technical ability this summer. It's a whole different discussion if Diego, Giovinco and Camo should have been sold. The answer to that might be yes or no and I won't go into that, but it's a fact that none of the new players we bought had the technical ability of these three players (even if some of them, like Krasic, turned more useful than the named trio). My point is that we ignored talent and we just added more of the same to an already technically limited team and it simply had to result the way it resulted, and that's one big "zero improvement".

Btw, even if my answer to the discussion about Zac, Ciro and DN is "same shit", here is another Head-to-head

Serie A:
    Ciro (round 1 until round 21) : 10-3-8 (33:28) 33 points
    Del Neri (round 1 until round 21) 9-8-4 (35:25) 35 points

Zaccheroni (round 22 until round 33) 5-3-4 (16:19) 18 points
    Del Neri (round 22 until round 33) 5-2-5 (15:15) 17 points

In Europe the duo Ciro-Zac was slightly better simply because CL was tougher than EL and the 3rd place there took us to EL while this year's 3rd place in EL meant we're eliminated. In Coppa Italia we had the same achievement (eliminated in the 1/4's).

Nothing's really different when you compare last year's results with this year's ones.

OP
    Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #127
    We completely ignored pure technical ability this summer. It's a whole different discussion if Diego, Giovinco and Camo should have been sold. The answer to that might be yes or no and I won't go into that, but it's a fact that none of the new players we bought had the technical ability of these three players (even if some of them, like Krasic, turned more useful than the named trio). My point is that we ignored talent and we just added more of the same to an already technically limited team and it simply had to result the way it resulted, and that's one big "zero improvement".

Btw, even if my answer to the discussion about Zac, Ciro and DN is "same shit", here is another Head-to-head

Serie A:
    Ciro (round 1 until round 21) : 10-3-8 (33:28) 33 points
    Del Neri (round 1 until round 21) 9-8-4 (35:25) 35 points

Zaccheroni (round 22 until round 33) 5-3-4 (16:19) 18 points
    Del Neri (round 22 until round 33) 5-2-5 (15:15) 17 points

In Europe the duo Ciro-Zac was slightly better simply because CL was tougher than EL and the 3rd place there took us to EL while this year's 3rd place in EL meant we're eliminated. In Coppa Italia we had the same achievement (eliminated in the 1/4's).

Nothing's really different when you compare last year's results with this year's ones.
    Actually it's even worse this year considering we drew 6 times in Europa League, four times against the likes of Redbull and Lech Poznan. :lol:

At least Ciro had the likes of Bayern and Lyon to face. Not giving him any excuse but man, one was on his debut the other has been coaching for god knows how many years.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
    May 22, 2009
    Yeah, it is interesting when you're talking about who's to "blame" the most.

Clearly, a guy in Marotta's position is in it for the long term. That's what his position pretty much dictates. Now for me personally, as I pointed out already, he made too many changes at once & 75% of those changes were ill advised. But that is looking at the short term, obviously.
    Because if it turns out we took one step backwards (or sideways) this season, in order to take 2 or 3 steps forward next season, then I would be more than ok with it. As unlikely as it seems right now.

Del Neri on the other hand, like most coaches, are in it for the short(er) term. Immediate results are wanted, but he's not delivering them.

Would I be happy if DN is still here next season? Not really.
    Do I think he's the reason for our bad season? Not really. Even if some of his choices/tactics have been strange to say the least.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    Yes, who is the worst to ever sit on Juve's bench... Del Neri with his experience and all couldn't get any worse.
    That's another question then, and that's arguable, and I would pick Del Neri too. with all the experience he has (I mean over Ciro), he should have performed much better.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    There is simply no point in comparing Del Neri, Zac, Ferrara and Ranieri. You can add to them Conte, Gasberini, Spaletti and the rest of the lot. They are all average managers at best and that's about it.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    Actually it's even worse this year considering we drew 6 times in Europa League, four times against the likes of Redbull and Lech Poznan. :lol:

At least Ciro had the likes of Bayern and Lyon to face. Not giving him any excuse but man, one was on his debut the other has been coaching for god knows how many years.
    Yeah, the results in Europe this year were disastrous. Although, I must notice that the difference might be a result of the difference in importance of the two competitions. There was a long discussion here about the reasons for our failure in EL and the opinions were divided in two. Some thought we failed because we didn't care about the competition and the others thought we failed because we suck. Imo, the reason is a mixture of both. We failed because we suck but also because we never took EL seriously. A proof for that is that two of our most important transfers (Quag and Aquilani) were actually players who were cup tied in Europe. I mean, you buy two importan starters who can't even play in Europe? That alone shows how seriously you take the competition. Also, DN's team selection for some of those EL matches told a lot how we treated EL, when we needed to win and he subbed our important players with primavera kids. But we were bad anyway so underestimating EL can't be an excuse.
    In CL on the other hand we gave our all.

No difference between them, really (as JCK says, they are all average managers). The thing that goes against Del Neri and Marotta though is that they already had last year's team and they had money to make it better. They didn't do it or, at least, the results of their transfer campaign didn't bring results in this particular season.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    i think you all forgot how static and clueless the players looked under ferrara, no movement no tactical sense. not to mention the melo experiment failure. Once again imo ferrara is MUCH worse than del neri.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    i think you all forgot how static and clueless the players looked under ferrara, no movement no tactical sense. not to mention the melo experiment failure. Once again imo ferrara is MUCH worse than del neri.
    We've looked static and clueless several times this season as well.

It's hard to say what was up with Melo, but it might have been because of his new environment.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Y(Quag and Aquilani) were actually players who were cup tied in Europe.
    Quag was a panic buy, so he might not have even looked at the fact he was cup-tied.

Still, the teams we fielded should have been able to beat the competition minus Man City, so there's no excuse for those results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)