Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (142 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I guess we all should be grateful to live in this time with such medical interventions. Any other time in history this pandemic would have probably caused humanity to go extinct
It's kinda weird. History thought us how people used to die much easier. Not only the Spanish flu but even sepsis where you'd see 2 out of 3 women die. Corona in the past would've been ignored totally. People are scared from death more than ever nowadays, they even hit surgery in order to hide their age since they can't face it themselves.

As for our country we had 4100 cases yesterday which is insane (more than Italy, France, Spain, yet our population is not even 7 million). 55% vaccinated, measures are rather loose but with people having masks, and numbers are pretty much same like when we had no vaccine.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I hadn't seen that. That's actually pretty damn funny.

I guess we all should be grateful to live in this time with such medical interventions. Any other time in history this pandemic would have probably caused humanity to go extinct
Nope. Definitely not extinct. Sometimes you just thin the herd a little and let natural selection do its thing. Basically, the difference now with medicine is that we actively try to prevent natural selection. At least for profit.

So now populations are a bit like the tall forests around Lake Tahoe. You prevent every chance of a forest fire growing, you end up with a lot of pent-up kindling.

It's kinda weird. History thought us how people used to die much easier. Not only the Spanish flu but even sepsis where you'd see 2 out of 3 women die. Corona in the past would've been ignored totally. People are scared from death more than ever nowadays, they even hit surgery in order to hide their age since they can't face it themselves.

As for our country we had 4100 cases yesterday which is insane (more than Italy, France, Spain, yet our population is not even 7 million). 55% vaccinated, measures are rather loose but with people having masks, and numbers are pretty much same like when we had no vaccine.
People absolutely died much easier. People are scared of death more than ever, but that's partly a product of some good things (quality of life, length of life) and some bad things (narcissism, rent seekers). Flying on an airplane was like 100,000 times more deadly 70 years ago than it is today, for example. Safety is a good thing.

I think the irony is that the more that you get these aging researchers and billionaires seeking immortality, the greater the loss-of-life risk is. It's one thing to catch COVID if you're average lifespan is 40 years. It's another if it's 80. But it's another thing even still if you're expecting to live to 200. I don't think a lot of people are thinking about how efforts for longevity magnify life risk, making it scarier to do things like riding a motorcycle or bungee jumping.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Nope. Definitely not extinct. Sometimes you just thin the herd a little and let natural selection do its thing. Basically, the difference now with medicine is that we actively try to prevent natural selection. At least for profit.

So now populations are a bit like the tall forests around Lake Tahoe. You prevent every chance of a forest fire growing, you end up with a lot of pent-up kindling.
Just being sarcastic about the reaction by many nowadays. "How can you not love all this medicine??? It's keeping us all alive!"

But you're right.

People absolutely died much easier. People are scared of death more than ever, but that's partly a product of some good things (quality of life, length of life) and some bad things (narcissism, rent seekers). Flying on an airplane was 100,000 times more deadly 70 years ago than it is today, for example. Safety is a good thing.

I think the irony is that the more that you get these aging researchers and billionaires seeking immortality, the greater the loss-of-life risk is. It's one thing to catch COVID if you're average lifespan is 40 years. It's another if it's 80. But it's another thing even still if you're expecting to live to 200. I don't think a lot of people are thinking about how efforts for longevity magnify life risk, making it scarier to do things like riding a motorcycle or bungee jumping.
Damn, good point. Never thought of that.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Man when I was in Serbia almost two months ago, it was as if Covid didn't exist hahaha! which of course for me, as a selfish tourist looking to have a good time was amazing. But the surge in cases was inevitable.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Man when I was in Serbia almost two months ago, it was as if Covid didn't exist hahaha! which of course for me, as a selfish tourist looking to have a good time was amazing. But the surge in cases was inevitable.
I don't think I can fully agree on that. Are we measure heavy? No. But I think you exaggerate there. For example, we had some fests over the past two months, but you couldn't enter unless you bring a paper that you were vaccinated or if they test you outside. I didn't visit this years beer fest because of it. Also, people wear masks in big shops and in malls. When it comes to schools kids were on 50% class capacity, majority online courses while also big chunk of companies work from home (my friend works from home ever since covid started).

Another thing, if something happened 2 months ago, then surges aren't because of it since those would have happened 2 weeks after the event, not two months.

What we're seeing right now is rather bizzare/insane. I've been following numbers for some time now and we usually have 10x less infected than Italy. So, if they have 5000, we have 500. But today we're having Italy on 4700 and us on 5000. I'll again point out how we have 50% vaccinated, we had events where vaccination passport/test were a must, malls/big shops require mask to enter, yet we're on this peak right now. A year back, even without curfew, we had pretty much same measures and we had similar numbers (without vaccines). I don't know how that's normal. Some might say how you need 70+ of population to take a vaccine, but then it means 50% works like 0% so even taking those made no sense.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
What we're seeing right now is rather bizzare/insane. I've been following numbers for some time now and we usually have 10x less infected than Italy. So, if they have 5000, we have 500. But today we're having Italy on 4700 and us on 5000. I'll again point out how we have 50% vaccinated, we had events where vaccination passport/test were a must, malls/big shops require mask to enter, yet we're on this peak right now. A year back, even without curfew, we had pretty much same measures and we had similar numbers (without vaccines). I don't know how that's normal. Some might say how you need 70+ of population to take a vaccine, but then it means 50% works like 0% so even taking those made no sense.
Don't tell me that, after all this time, you still don't understand what the purpose of a vaccine is?

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
I find these reactions interesting and curiously reflective.

Like I can't imagine a car mechanic saying, "Hey, well, looks like your brake pads are shot and we should bleed the brake lines" and someone would want to shoot him in the head for that.
you're not a car guy aren't you since 98% of car mechanics are lying scamming pieces of shit.
lying and scamming is literally their main source of income

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
you're not a car guy aren't you since 98% of car mechanics are lying scamming pieces of shit.
:agree:

it took me ~16-17 years of car ownership to finally find one car mechanic i can trust. he's no magician, but he's naive, honest, the polar opposite of greedy, and gets the job done. i hope he never dies, moves or changes profession.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well, I've been living car-free for 3+ years now and I love it.

But yeah, car mechanics are con men and it's hard to find ethical ones. After all, I made the mistake of pulling into Provo/Orem, Utah with a busted water pump once... and learned why everyone in town warned me that it was the car repair ripoff capital of America.

But even that didn't make me want to shoot him in the head.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Well, I've been living car-free for 3+ years now and I love it.

But yeah, car mechanics are con men and it's hard to find ethical ones. After all, I made the mistake of pulling into Provo/Orem, Utah with a busted water pump once... and learned why everyone in town warned me that it was the car repair ripoff capital of America.

But even that didn't make me want to shoot him in the head.
That;s the beauty of living in most western european countries. Almost 3 years car free myself and loving it.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
It’s way nicer to have a car than not to have a car. Unless you guys are used to dogshit uncomfortable cars. But getting in there, turning on the AC and having my playlist automatically play? Priceless.

Much better then the subway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 127)