Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (184 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I bought a few packs of N95 masks as soon as the outbreak was getting out of hand in Wuhan. Of course they would say the masks aren't useful for common folks since they don't want to deplete the supply. Continuity of government, et cetera.
I’ve got a bunch from work as well but lm looking to donate them to one of the hospitals and just use a home made or surgical mask

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,628
    I’ve got a bunch from work as well but lm looking to donate them to one of the hospitals and just use a home made or surgical mask
    How are you doing the homemade mask? Just sewing kit?

- - - Updated - - -

Things are falling apart in the city
    What's it like now? I'm working with someone in Brooklyn and he seems to be doing OK.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
    Nov 8, 2005
    I would like to share some advice a medical doctor gave me to prepare for the virus. His daughter's family are in New York and pretty much all of them got sick with symptoms of the coronavirus. So he had to go there and take care of them, getting sick in the process, as well. Only his daughter tested positive as she was the only one tested due to lack of tests. It's safe to say, however, based on severity and nature of the symptoms, they all had coronavirus.
    Hospitals should have the medication on this list but it's anybody's guess how long supplies, or available beds, will last.

1) The part you probably know - take a lot of vitamin C (at least 1000-2000mg daily), vitamin D, zinc and selenium to boost your immune system. Eat a balanced diet (meat, fruits, veggies, etc.), if possible, and don't go on any crazy diets that deprive you of certain foods. Keep yourself well-hydrated.

2) Stock up on cough-suppressing cough syrup e.g. Delsym or Rubitussin. Codeine is best but it is a controlled substance in a lot of states and may not be available. Codeine can also be dangerous when taken in high doses, and especially with alcohol. Delsym and Robitussin have the same active ingredient, but different concentration (Delsym is more concentrated).
    This is to suppress the cough, not allowing the infection to spread to the lungs and cause pneumonia.

3) Find a wide-spectrum, multi-application antibiotic like doxycycline or azithromycin. This is to be taken if the infection does reach the lungs (and you develop murmurs) and pneumonia is inevitable. Doxycycline is generally considered a safer antibiotic with few to no side effects. Azithromycin was pulled at some point for causing heart palpitations, etc, so might not be widely, or at all, available in the US. If you can't find doxycycline, however, azithromycin or another substitute will do, as well.

Ideally, you would receive this treatment in a hospital. At some point, however, neither hospital beds, nor supplies might be available and you and your family may be left to figure it out on your own.

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    3076 dead between France, Spain, and Italy today. :scared:

- - - Updated - - -

"...69 doctors have died from Covid-19, Italy's Medical Association announced on Thursday. In addition, 10.000 nurses have been infected so far, with many of them being in intensive care."
    This is scary. From all the doctors and nurses that have died or been made seriously ill by it, it makes you wonder if there is something to do with high initial or continual level of virus exposure.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Because people in the US have no parents, friends or relatives? Because it's harder in the US than in Serbia to land a job? That's just ... no. Also, what he posted had a list of many countries outside of the US.

You think that's reasonable? To me that looks like finding an excuse to kill yourself. IMO kill yourself is an easy rout. Fighting and keep going forward is what's hard.

You all (or majority) know where I live. But not many of you know what I've been through even as a little kid. Not just me but plenty of people. During 90s we had hyperinflation which is iirc the second biggest in the history of written economics, only behind Argentina. That meant that you work, like my mom and dad, and you get wages that are 2-3e (todays equivalent). Once you get to the store from the moment you got that money, chances are 90% you won't be able to buy anything because during that period prices rocked jumped due to hyperinflation. I know my dad spent his wage to buy refrigerator bags only lol. You think it looked like it's gonna get better tomorrow or the next day? Nah, you just keep going and keep on fighting, because you know (or believe) that you'll survive it and live for a better day. During those crazy years we had empty shelves in stores and they only let kids buy because they had sympathy for kids when it comes to getting flour or oil. I went to a store pretending I don't know my brother so we increase the chance of buying something. My brother had torn shoes and it was rainy, couldn't do shit about it but keep going. After we had wars, bombs going on us, etc. It sure looked more fucking desperate than losing a job which, in most of the cases, is fucking stupid and/or meaningless.

I'm not even saying this so people would think sorry for me. I don't really care. I think that majority of people are so tender and soft (not to say pussies) because they had everything in their life while somebody pets their balls so they don't cry. I'm saying it also because people are not aware of how much you can handle while not even losing your personality, not becoming a thief or a criminal, or even come out as a bigger and better man. I, for one, am in position to value things in life SO MUCH because I know how amazing it is to hold a perfume that's worth 50e, shoes of 50-100e, phone of 150e, etc. because I know how it feels to have nothing. You appreciate things you have. I'm so glad I published a book, hell, even people here helped me do it. It's a huge thing for me and it makes me super happy, more happy than some spoiled millionaire brats who can't be happy without their yachts.

There's so many things to look forward to in your life which is beautiful, even when it sucks and while you're on your knees crawling back on the top. Because you get on that top and it feels amazing. Killing yourself is easy, it's just pulling a fucking gun and getting over with it. Majority of the jobs are stupid and machines could replace those. They are just stupid. It's quite rare to have a meaningful job and I love those. But there are so many great things beyond a standard 8 hour shift. I wish people valued themselves a lot higher and not put themselves down for stupidass reason like some mediocre and retarded job.

Mind it, I'll mention two things because people can generally be morons and interpret things differently. 1) no, I don't think what I've been through is great, nor I'd like anyone to suffer like that but learn on others 2) this doesn't go for those with diseases, meaning depression, because that's totally different issue
    To be fair I think whenever people commit suicide they have underlying issues. It's not about being weak imo, it's about being sick.

I read what you said and I agree that people can build resilience through hardship. But another thing that stood out for me is that a hard economic situation turned to war.

And this is exactly what always happens. We think there is a lot of solidarity, but there isn't. As soon as people get hungry, darkness comes out. And it begins with local conflicts, but after a while one local gang leader or the other thinks of blaming another country or another ethnicity and there you have it, war.

People think it's stupid to worry about the economy when people die. It's not. In fact thinking about the economy now might prevent far more death and suffering.

Because as it stands now, a pandemic and the economic fallout that follows it have every chance of being the catalyst for WW III.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    3076 dead between France, Spain, and Italy today. :scared:

- - - Updated - - -

This is scary. From all the doctors and nurses that have died or been made seriously ill by it, it makes you wonder if there is something to do with high initial or continual level of virus exposure.
    Fwiw many doctors I know have suspected this to be the case from the beginning.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 170)