Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (78 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Here's an old article where researchers try to find a suicide rate due to unemployment.

Unemployment causes 45,000 suicides a year worldwide, finds study

https://www.theguardian.com/society...s-45000-suicides-a-year-worldwide-finds-study

The U-3 unemployment rate during the last recession in 2009 was around 10% in the US. According to calculations on the current situation, the U-3 unemployment rate will be around 30% or higher. So basically, the risk of suicide will be three times larger, at least 150,000 people just by extrapolating the data.
Sorry to say but people who'd kill themselves over a lost jobs are bunch of morons.

In those shoes I would have killed myself at least 5 times so far (ok, no need to say how I should have done it!).

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,583
    Sorry to say but people who'd kill themselves over a lost jobs are bunch of morons.

In those shoes I would have killed myself at least 5 times so far (ok, no need to say how I should have done it!).
    It's hard to say why. I guess if you lose everything you have and have nowhere else to go, some people just give up.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    He reminds me of those adolescents who like to loudly proclaim their super-edgy opinions mostly for shock value. But he’s no longer an adolescent, and just sounds like a complete doofus saying shit like “I’d be fine with all old people being put in concentration camps, it would even create jobs building them.” 2:
    It's not a super-edgy opinion at all.

All I say is that this is obviously not the way to go and it will hurt us for a long time because we are doing nothing to protect the financial wellbeing of an entire generation.

This could easily lead to a total collapse of the financial system and we all know armed conflicts might follow.

You're running around screaming that people are dying and anyone saying we might need to look at other things too is immediately ousted.

You lot are scared. I get that. So am I. But that doesn't mean we can stop thinking.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003

Jobs often become identities.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    Jobs often become identities.

It's hard to say why. I guess if you lose everything you have and have nowhere else to go, some people just give up.
    Lose what exactly? It's people who have no knowledge of themselves and who were lost in the job industry thinking it's where the main purpose of life is. I'd say it's morons. You can only lose money which can you get somewhere else. Lose apartment since your bank took it? Fuck it, if you had it in the first place it means you could get that credit, which means you could find another job too. You'd only leave your family and friends disappointed and sad. Over a fucking job.

Identities? Come on. Who in the right mind would lose himself for a job identity... and it surely can't be a job that can't be done again (looking at those huge numbers I'd say basically all positions managed to kill themselves at some point, from a low position to CEO). But lose your purpose and willing to live over a lost job? I cannot even... Jesus Christ.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011

People have moments of weakness, it happens. Some people also have no support system in life.

All I say is that this is obviously not the way to go and it will hurt us for a long time because we are doing nothing to protect the financial wellbeing of an entire generation.

This could easily lead to a total collapse of the financial system and we all know armed conflicts might follow.

You're running around screaming that people are dying and anyone saying we might need to look at other things too is immediately ousted.

You lot are scared. I get that. So am I. But that doesn't mean we can stop thinking.

For what it's worth, I understand what points you're bringing up and the concerns you have, but I think your original delivery of it came off as far too callous so now you have a war :p.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005

i don’t think anyone is not thinking, just thinking about different things

there are many parts to the equation left out by both sides

however, I think we can all agree that a massive uptick in national testing would give the information we need to make a decision

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
    May 3, 2012

I don’t think you can find anyone who disagrees with this. I should say it’s substantially different than putting old people in concentration camps.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,591
    Lose what exactly? It's people who have no knowledge of themselves and who were lost in the job industry thinking it's where the main purpose of life is. I'd say it's morons. You can only lose money which can you get somewhere else. Lose apartment since your bank took it? Fuck it, if you had it in the first place it means you could get that credit, which means you could find another job too. You'd only leave your family and friends disappointed and sad. Over a fucking job.

Identities? Come on. Who in the right mind would lose himself for a job identity... and it surely can't be a job that can't be done again (looking at those huge numbers I'd say basically all positions managed to kill themselves at some point, from a low position to CEO). But lose your purpose and willing to live over a lost job? I cannot even... Jesus Christ.
    There could be a million different reasons why someone might do it, anything from family pressure to literally not having anywhere else to go, i.e. being homeless. It's impossible to know what series of events lead up to a decision like that one and I really don't want to see it happen to anyone.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

lol okay doofus

I’m not scared for myself or most around me. I go to work each and every day. I go out solo hiking, etc on days off. It’s business as usual aside from minimizing non-essential contact with others.

I’m entirely of the opinion that most western countries fucked this up badly by not preparing at all for it with 1-2 months of warning. No one was ready to test en masse to quickly uncover outbreaks and isolate them, no one was ready to have make-shift quarantine and care facilities going up to avoid having current hospitals overwhelmed, no one was producing ventilators and getting extra icu beds ready for localized outbreak use. No one was ready for to put in revised workplace practices and guidelines to keep this spreading like wildfire.

If all these things were done, clearly we could have kept the economy going, most people at work, etc. With revised safety guidelines and work place distancing in practice for the time being.

However, none of this was done, so quarantine and lock-down is the only way left to deal with slowing down already almost out of control spread. If it tanks the economy for a few months, so be it. We weren’t ready for this and now we’re dealing with the consequences. Hopefully the quarantine gets things under control over the next couple months, and then with more adequate testing protocols and numbers we can ramp things up again for the economy.

And all this is still very different from saying old people should be put in concentration camps. But I’m sure you’ll pull a Trump and say you didn’t say that now. :baus:

Last edited:

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011
    When you say support system, what do you mean exactly?
    Both financial and emotional. I can't speak for other places, but many people here are a few bad turns away from homelessness. And then once you get there, good luck getting out. In a quick moment where all of this comes rushing into your mind, I can understand why some may panic to that level.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016

You probably still found shelter at your parents, i assume its far from the case for everyone in the US

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 59)