Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (151 Viewers)

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
IMO most governments are listening to epidemiologists too much and they're not paying enough attention to experts from other fields. Flattening the curve is a good strategy from epidemiologic pow, but in the big picture we're headed for a dead end, we can't keep this up for a year (or however long it takes), the consequences will be grave.

A lawyer is hardly a stupid profession, most good lawyers I know are twice as smart as the geniuses people elect to run countries and make these decisions.
I'm a lawyer myself and have worked with many top lawyers. They can be smart individuals but they're not qualified at all to have an opinion on managing pandemics.

I'm pretty sure that most governments are also listening to economists and other experts and trying to find a solution which is not easy. We'll probably see what they determine in the coming weeks.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
You probably still found shelter at your parents, i assume its far from the case for everyone in the US
Because people in the US have no parents, friends or relatives? Because it's harder in the US than in Serbia to land a job? That's just ... no. Also, what he posted had a list of many countries outside of the US.

Family, friends, pets, anything to keep the spirits up or provide a helping hand.
You think that's reasonable? To me that looks like finding an excuse to kill yourself. IMO kill yourself is an easy rout. Fighting and keep going forward is what's hard.

You all (or majority) know where I live. But not many of you know what I've been through even as a little kid. Not just me but plenty of people. During 90s we had hyperinflation which is iirc the second biggest in the history of written economics, only behind Argentina. That meant that you work, like my mom and dad, and you get wages that are 2-3e (todays equivalent). Once you get to the store from the moment you got that money, chances are 90% you won't be able to buy anything because during that period prices rocked jumped due to hyperinflation. I know my dad spent his wage to buy refrigerator bags only lol. You think it looked like it's gonna get better tomorrow or the next day? Nah, you just keep going and keep on fighting, because you know (or believe) that you'll survive it and live for a better day. During those crazy years we had empty shelves in stores and they only let kids buy because they had sympathy for kids when it comes to getting flour or oil. I went to a store pretending I don't know my brother so we increase the chance of buying something. My brother had torn shoes and it was rainy, couldn't do shit about it but keep going. After we had wars, bombs going on us, etc. It sure looked more fucking desperate than losing a job which, in most of the cases, is fucking stupid and/or meaningless.

I'm not even saying this so people would think sorry for me. I don't really care. I think that majority of people are so tender and soft (not to say pussies) because they had everything in their life while somebody pets their balls so they don't cry. I'm saying it also because people are not aware of how much you can handle while not even losing your personality, not becoming a thief or a criminal, or even come out as a bigger and better man. I, for one, am in position to value things in life SO MUCH because I know how amazing it is to hold a perfume that's worth 50e, shoes of 50-100e, phone of 150e, etc. because I know how it feels to have nothing. You appreciate things you have. I'm so glad I published a book, hell, even people here helped me do it. It's a huge thing for me and it makes me super happy, more happy than some spoiled millionaire brats who can't be happy without their yachts.

There's so many things to look forward to in your life which is beautiful, even when it sucks and while you're on your knees crawling back on the top. Because you get on that top and it feels amazing. Killing yourself is easy, it's just pulling a fucking gun and getting over with it. Majority of the jobs are stupid and machines could replace those. They are just stupid. It's quite rare to have a meaningful job and I love those. But there are so many great things beyond a standard 8 hour shift. I wish people valued themselves a lot higher and not put themselves down for stupidass reason like some mediocre and retarded job.

Mind it, I'll mention two things because people can generally be morons and interpret things differently. 1) no, I don't think what I've been through is great, nor I'd like anyone to suffer like that but learn on others 2) this doesn't go for those with diseases, meaning depression, because that's totally different issue

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Reality? :lol: fuck off with that noise, also stop replying to my posts, not only do you not have anything I'm interested in hearing, you are a typical emotional wreck, first with the milan business and now this, I'm bad for your health, go cower in your corner and cry.
You sure have your emotions under control ...

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Everybody except South Korea and Japan was wrong about the masks and this is why these countries did so well.

Airborne transmission was overrated and droplet transmission was underrated in the West. The very simple surgical masks might not stop airborne virus particles but it sure as hell keeps drops coming out from an infected person's cough or sneeze inside the mask.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Because people in the US have no parents, friends or relatives? Because it's harder in the US than in Serbia to land a job? That's just ... no. Also, what he posted had a list of many countries outside of the US.
Never lived in the US so this is only my assumption. People in the US are less willing to accommodate jobless people even if they're relative because they might think that person needs to figure his shit by himself. Be it Serbia or the US, it'll be harder to find a job in this economy everywhere

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Lose what exactly? It's people who have no knowledge of themselves and who were lost in the job industry thinking it's where the main purpose of life is. I'd say it's morons. You can only lose money which can you get somewhere else. Lose apartment since your bank took it? Fuck it, if you had it in the first place it means you could get that credit, which means you could find another job too. You'd only leave your family and friends disappointed and sad. Over a fucking job.

Identities? Come on. Who in the right mind would lose himself for a job identity... and it surely can't be a job that can't be done again (looking at those huge numbers I'd say basically all positions managed to kill themselves at some point, from a low position to CEO). But lose your purpose and willing to live over a lost job? I cannot even... Jesus Christ.
not everyone is so resilient. part of what comes with comfy life some people dont know what to do and panic

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Never lived in the US so this is only my assumption. People in the US are less willing to accommodate jobless people even if they're relative because they might think that person needs to figure his shit by himself. Be it Serbia or the US, it'll be harder to find a job in this economy everywhere
I followed response to your post below regarding Andy's. I think I said it all. Be it my country or any other. Shortly, you just gotta fight it because it's worth it.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Everybody except South Korea and Japan was wrong about the masks and this is why these countries did so well.

Airborne transmission was overrated and droplet transmission was underrated in the West. The very simple surgical masks might not stop airborne virus particles but it sure as hell keeps drops coming out from an infected person's cough or sneeze inside the mask.
Hong Kong is a perfect example

yep, cdc about to tell us to wear masks now that they’re all gone

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
@JuveJay @Red
What the heck is with the UK only having done 2200 tests/ million thus far? With the vastly increasing number of positives and growing deaths there, how are they still lagging so bad on testing?

Even Trump-USA is doing far better.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,619
    Hong Kong is a perfect example

yep, cdc about to tell us to wear masks now that they’re all gone
    I bought a few packs of N95 masks as soon as the outbreak was getting out of hand in Wuhan. Of course they would say the masks aren't useful for common folks since they don't want to deplete the supply. Continuity of government, et cetera.

Mind it, I'll mention two things because people can generally be morons and interpret things differently. 1) no, I don't think what I've been through is great, nor I'd like anyone to suffer like that but learn on others 2) this doesn't go for those with diseases, meaning depression, because that's totally different issue
    Well, what you describe is an argument as to why the situation in the US could be disastrous for multiple reasons. You grew up through terrible times and are seemingly a lot tougher because of it. The people that survived the great depression basically had nothing other than their own ingenuity and grit, allowing them to make do with what they had. Nowadays in the US, from boomers to kids in college, most aren't self-sufficient, have no savings, and need to be told what to do and think. Once they realize the government can't save everyone, that wake-up call will cause some to lose control.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 133)