Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (79 Viewers)

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Wasn't he another one that kept saying masks don't help the public?
I don't know about De Blasio in particular but "masks don't help" was a popular rhetoric in the US, probably because the people in the know knew there weren't enough masks anyway and they didn't wanna create panic or look incompetent.
Btw, even today there aren't enough masks, not just for the general public but for medical personnel, as well, so there is that.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
@JuveJay @Red
What the heck is with the UK only having done 2200 tests/ million thus far? With the vastly increasing number of positives and growing deaths there, how are they still lagging so bad on testing?

Even Trump-USA is doing far better.
I only know of people being tested who clearly have the virus, one guy who was already a very sickly person so I'd be surprised if he pulls through. I don't know anyone who has been tested who hasn't put themselves forward.

I think basically we're told to stay inside, and generally people are sticking to that, but I only think this week it has dawned on people that it's quite serious, from what I've seen when I've gone out. People cross the road when you walk toward them now. OK, they might have done that with me anyway...

As I mentioned before, the NHS was strained even before this so I see the lack of testing as a serious oversight misjudged as a cost saving exercise. I keep hearing how widespread testing is "a week away", but it always seems to be next week. Right now there is this idea that we do fairly well of just kind of getting on with it, as much as you can either not working or wfh. BoJo knows that British people in general will bunker in. To me it's buying time if nothing else, and obviously that will affect the economy quite seriously.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I only know of people being tested who clearly have the virus, one guy who was already a very sickly person so I'd be surprised if he pulls through. I don't know anyone who has been tested who hasn't put themselves forward.

I think basically we're told to stay inside, and generally people are sticking to that, but I only think this week it has dawned on people that it's quite serious, from what I've seen when I've gone out. People cross the road when you walk toward them now. OK, they might have done that with me anyway...

As I mentioned before, the NHS was strained even before this so I see the lack of testing as a serious oversight misjudged as a cost saving exercise. I keep hearing how widespread testing is "a week away", but it always seems to be next week. Right now there is this idea that we do fairly well of just kind of getting on with it, as much as you can either not working or wfh. BoJo knows that British people in general will bunker in. To me it's buying time if nothing else, and obviously that will affect the economy quite seriously.
If not for the NHS part, I would have thought you had moved to the US.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Wait so France had 1000 deaths today?
so far it's 1350+
884 deaths from nursing homes have been added to today's total.
These deaths occurred over many weeks, but are being reported for the first time, which is why the number is so high.
Without them, today's tally would be closer to 500.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
884 deaths from nursing homes have been added to today's total.
These deaths occurred over many weeks, but are being reported for the first time, which is why the number is so high.
Without them, today's tally would be closer to 500.
:tup:
That makes sense. Yesterday the death toll was in the 500s.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
How are you doing the homemade mask? Just sewing kit?

- - - Updated - - -

What's it like now? I'm working with someone in Brooklyn and he seems to be doing OK.
If you have used medical masks, throw them in the laundry or wash them by hand with soap and hot water. That way you can reuse medical masks.
If the masks get too thin from reusing, take two masks and put facial tissue in between. The facial tissue will serve as a filter. You can control the garde of the filter by adding more and more layers of facial tissue.
Also, you can use a stretchable cloth (spandex) to make a mask, balaclava style. Then take two sheets of paper towels and in between those put several layers of facial tissue, creating basically a facial tissue sandwich. Put on the spandex/balaclava mask and place the "tissue sandwich" between the mask and your mouth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 54)