CL: Juventus - Olympiakos (1 Viewer)

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
Impressed...honestly. But I said that you guys would be out for blood. Anyhow, all good to put a rest to that anti-football theories of the Spainish and English Media. Milan and Juve are through..proving more and more that last season was not a 'flash in the pan' in which italian teams did well. KUDOS ZEBRAS.

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
i diddn't see it, but sori if this has already been posted

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Aaahhhh.... ESPN

Juventus 7-0 Olympiakos: FT Report

PA

TURIN, December 10 (Champions League) - Juventus ran riot in Turin to send Olympiakos back to Athens with a seven-goal hiding to explain to their fans.

The Italians were in scintillating form, David Trezeguet scoring twice and possibly guilty of missing three more gilt-edged chances for a result that would not have flattered last season`s finalists.

All eyes will now be on Friday`s draw for the knockout stage with Juve having clinched top spot in the group, meaning they will avoid the likes of AC Milan, Real Madrid, Manchester United and Chelsea in the second round.

The Italians went into the game needing only a point to win the group despite a disappointing 2-0 defeat to Galatasaray last week in Germany.

Olympiakos travelled to the Stadio Delle Alpi knowing that they needed a win to have any chance of qualifying for the UEFA Cup in third place.

With Edgar Davids suspended, Lippi replaced Marco Di Vaio and Ciro Ferrara with Paolo Montero, Alessandro Birindelii and Trezeguet.

The Greek league leaders made four changes, Pantelis Kafes, Dimitris Eleftheropoulos, Athansios Kostoulas and Predrag Djordjevic all introduced in favour of Thefoanis Katergiannakis, Paraskevas Antzas, Ieroklis Stoltidis and Georgios Georgiadis.

Djordjevic had the best chance of the opening 10 minutes, forcing a smart save out of Juve goalkeeper Antonio Chimenti as the Greeks took the game to their hosts.

However, Juve awoke from their slumber four minutes later when Enzo Maresca was released on the left, he made it to the by-line before cutting back to French international striker Trezeguet to calmly tuck in his 20th Champions League goal.

It got better five minutes later when the lively Maresca saw his shot deflect to Trezeguet`s strike partner Fabrizio Miccoli who duly despatched it into the far corner.

The floodgates opened after 24 minutes as the advantage was extended when Miccoli turned provider, handing Trezeguet his second of the game from 10 yards out.

The game was effectively over three minutes later as Maresca was rewarded for all his endeavour with the fourth.

Miccoli found himself in the clear with only keeper Eleftheropoulos to beat but his shot was blocked back out to Maresca who skilfully drilled it back goalwards and into the net.

After three consecutive defeats, Lippi`s side were answering their critics in the best possible way whilst the Greek champions were on their way to their sixth defeat on Italian soil in nine visits.

Marcelo Zayaleta missed the chance to make it 5-0 in the 39th minute when he headed wide as Djordjevic missed his opportunity to reduce the deficit.

The fifth goal was almost delivered along with Trezeguet`s hat-trick just two minutes after the restart but Eleftheropoulos got a hand to his header.

Uruguayan striker Nery Alberto Castillo should have scored for the visitors soon after, latching on to Igor Tudor`s poor back pass and rounding Chimenti but his shot under pressure flew high over the bar.

Trezeguet should have completed his treble as he lunged for Zayaleta`s cross but was a studs length away from converting and in the 56th minute his night was ended as he again fluffed a hat-trick.

Miccoli was released between a static Olympiakos back-line after 58 minutes before rounding the keeper and firing the ball to the far post. His shot came back off the woodwork and rolled across the line to the other post before falling to Trezeguet six yards out but he scuffed his attempt wide of the right post before colliding with Eleftheropoulos and being stretchered off, MarcoDi Vaio being brought on up front.

Within three minutes it was five for Juve as Miccoli fed Di Vaio, who hit the ball first-time, left-footed after wasting his first opportunity seconds earlier.

Another substitution saw Miccoli replaced after a superb performance by Alessandro Del Piero and the Italian legend took less than a minute to make it 6-0 with his first touch, Di Vaio finding him unmarked in the box before he steadied himself and then smashed the ball home.

Del Piero could have scored a second in the 69th minute with a long-range shot that had Eleftheropoulos diving full-stretch to save.

Juve set a new Champions League record for a winning margin in the competition proper when Zayaleta rose highest to head home from Maresca`s corner from the left after 79 minutes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Juve 'injection of faith' - Lippi

TURIN, Italy, Dec 10 (Reuters) - Italian champions Juventus proved any talk of them fading away was premature with a Champions League record 7-0 drubbing of Olympiakos on Wednesday.

The Italian media had begun to talk of a 'crisis' for Marcello Lippi's side after they lost three games in a week.

But after securing top spot in Group D with the biggest victory in Champions League history, Lippi said his players had given themselves the lift they required.

'We needed to get a point to be certain of first place and now we can start thinking about the (Italian) league,' he said.

'It was an important result from a psychological point of view. It provides an injection of faith that the team needed after the past week,' Lippi added.

After losing 3-1 at home to Inter Milan in Serie A, Juve suffered a 2-0 defeat by Galatasaray in a rescheduled Champions League game in Dortmund and were then beaten by Lazio in the Italian league on Saturday.

'Looking back, if we had taken our chances in Dortmund it could have finished like this. The players showed they are in good shape, we were tight and sharp right from the start,' said Lippi.

Midfielder Antonio Conte said the win had swept away any self-doubt the team might have had.

'It's been a long time since we lost three games in a row, we produced a great performance, very concentrated and very positive,' he said.

'I think in these situations a lot is in your head rather than being a physical problems. Once we got ahead we played with freedom,' he added.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
Haha, of course

rUEFAl sociedad
:LOL:

U are learning from ur master eh?? Good one ;)

Talking about gala.... :devil:

you are out cinbom boms :D

u deserve it.

Aug 27, 2003
the match was a total come back..
The whole juve team were in great shape supreb goals and a great come back of our alex del piero love ya man! :D
althoughit would have been great 9-0..loool..which was so close as we missed 2 to 3 chances everyone is in great shape the defenders the forwards hope all the bet of luk for juve in parma!

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++
Impressed...honestly. But I said that you guys would be out for blood. Anyhow, all good to put a rest to that anti-football theories of the Spainish and English Media. Milan and Juve are through..proving more and more that last season was not a 'flash in the pan' in which italian teams did well. KUDOS ZEBRAS.
the spanish+english media are gloating coz they have 4 and 3 teams in 2nd round respectively. sad tho that we only have 2.....:down:

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
GHey i already saw all the goals!!!

Miccoli´s and Maresca´s ones were superb!!!!
maresca's was awesome IMO...! altho DV's goals isnt so bad either.....:D and his assists to DP was very unselfish. that goal otta give DP some confidence....:cool:

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
wooo.. i woke up this morning and quickly reach for UEFA.com in my お気に入り d and i was like wooooo... 7 fu*king nil...

and the match report was like meresca, meresca, meresca....and how Trezeguet miss all the chances but still get out of the game with a brace...but the not so good thing is, he get out of the game on a stratcher...:(

had a funny feeling to see all our 5 strikers score... one name on the score sheet that i glad to seee the most is Del Piero.... how thoughtful of di vaio not to leave his captain behind :p

and chimenti had a clean sheet :eek:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
My 2 Cents about the game:

Great win...Our biggest win margin in a long time, but the scoreline doesn't exactly tell the whole story . To be honest, I wasn't too happy with the performace. Call me negative/over-critical, but for long periods of the game, we didn't play all that great and we were very lucky.

Good Points:
1. We scored so many goals and this should serve as a turning point to get back on on our winning track.
2. Chimenti kept a clean sheet. :extatic: ;)
3. DP got the goal he needed to regain confidence and his touch.
4. the media can shut up for now (at least till the parma game)

Bad Points:
1. We were vert lucky as our attacker's finishing isn't as half as good as the score suggests.
(A) Miccoli's goal came from a deflected pass.
(B) DP and DV didn't look too comfortable tucking the ball in the net from close range. The Keeper put his hand on each of those goals. our finishing is still too shaky.

2. Juve's defense Was CRAP. Olympicacos made, easy, direct passes and 1-2s that went right through our D light a hot knife threw butter. Their attackers went completely 1-on-1 with Chimenti 3 times!!! twice Chimenti came out on top and made good saves. the other time, Castillo (i think) rounded Chimenti and and missed the empty net!! Iuliano seemed like he could have got the ball if it was directed towards goal, but the replay shows Iuliano was a second late and the ball would have gone in had it been on target.
Also, They had so many easy chances in the box. The defense had to cover up with late tackles (good ones too). They even had a shot cleared off the line by a juve defender (Pessotto i think).

3. Besides Maresca, the Midfield can only make 4-meter passes to players facing them. Everytime Tudor, Conte, or Zalayetta (YES, Lippi played him on the flank and gave him less liberty to play upfront! :rolleyes: ) would make a pass farther than 4 meters, it would be intercepted.

I think it was a case of good fortune for us, terrible display buy them (They didn't look like they wanted to win anyway), and just an avarege game by us. I really dont think we were that spectacular. Before the first goal, we were pressed in our own half and we played like crap. If Chimenti didn't save that first one-on-one, it would have been a totaly different game.

Player Review :

Chimenti: He played very well. I was surprised he came out on top in two of the three 1-on-1s. He was well coordinated with the defense. He made some good saves on long range shots. though his day wasn't tpp perfect because he was beaten twice, but luckly, Castillo missed the open goal, and the shot he couldn't stop was cleared off the line by Pessotto.

Iuliano: The Best defender tonight. He is indeed a dependable defender. His positioning was excellent and he made some vital tackles.

Montero: no way near the Montero I know. Olymp's attackers could easly dribble past him just by wiggling their hips a little (not like Sisqo's Thong song shaking....just a little hip drop ;) ), Montero would crash to the floor. He tried hard though, but i wasn't impressed at all despite having a clean sheet.

Pessetto: nothing unusual. for the past 4 years he's been playing on the same level. very ocnsistant. he wasn't excellent, but he wasn't bad either.

Birindelli: helped out the attack with a couple of Runs and he did a decent job at the back. His touches weren't too good when receiving the ball though, so he gave it away a couple of times.

Zambrotta: NR... wasn't on too long to make an impression.

Conte: I didn't like his passes and distrebution. though lucky for him, their midfield wasn't too good either (except for Karembu).

Tudor: **see Conte** + I he did come back and help the D often.

Maresca: Man of the Match IMO. He was very confident on the ball. he switches sides nicley. he was the one who got things moving. I was very impressed that he played on the right and the left nicely. He also made some very nice interceptions running back to help the defense.

Zalayetta: He was awefull (except for the goal). He dribbled when he should have passed, but then again, maybe dibbling is the least of his problems because his passing sucked. i dont know why lippi played him in a more midfield like role. Every counter attack that went threw him ended prematurly because he takes too long on the ball before deciding what to do. One good thing he did was running back to help the defence. he didn't just sit and watch.

Miccoli: Awesome. he made the most of his chances. was unselfish when he assisted Trez's second goal. Good job overall. I was shocked as much as he was when he went around the keeper, fainted a shot to move the defender, then shot and hit the post!! he celebrated before the ball went in :wallbang: anyhow, i dont blame him too much for missing because his touches and passes were smooth all night. i also liked the stepovers he made :thumb: great that he started.

Trez: nothing unusual. both his goals were tap-ins. he missed a header from point blank range, though credit has to go to the keeper for stopping it. too bad about his injury! :scared: (at first i though he was just faking it because he miss-shot the ball towards an open goal from a couple of meters away)

DP: didn't see much from him. he didn't look to comfortable scoring the goal. it's not like it was so difficult. in fact, had it not been so powerfull, the keeper's touch would have been enough to keep it out. he had a good shot on goal soon after that. not enough time on the field to rate him. he came on after the damage has been done and their defense already gave up.

DV: good goal and good runs, but bad finishing once again. he could have scored a couple of more when he was all alone. ncie assist to DP though...very unselfish.

Lippi: I liked that he didn't want to stop at four. he put in DP and DV so they could gain some confidence :thumb:. I'm not too happy about him playing Tudor in the Center again. Playing Zala on the left (then right) wasn't the best of ideas either.

I also want to point out one thing: I dont think we were in a crisis as the media suggests. It's just the usual case of a team losing focus. WE must admit that juve havn't been playing well lately, but we must also admit that it's been a great season so far. We just need to get back on the high standard track that we set for ourselves with our unbeaten run.

I know the my game review sounds really negative, but i think Parma's game next week is the real test of our "return to good performances."

Forza Juventus. :star: :star:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)